Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I will ring my chosen colleges to ask and double check but for now can some one explain the general jist please

Im maybe doing a science realated Fd at a college next september and it says to apply for loans before you apply to the course/ or while you're waiting to hear or something

basically do they award you the money but hold it till you are accepted indefinatly then release it to youre account/pay the institute? and on the flip side, if youre rejected they withdraw the money, so you never acctually 'have' the money in the first place?

thanks

ReputationRep:
    I'm not entirely clear about which type of course you are applying for. If it is a degree, this would be best placed in the University forum. You can apply for Student Finance directly to Student Finance England. Applications can now be received online. If you are under the age of twenty five and have not been supporting yourself for three years or more, your household income will be taken in to account. All students are entitled to a tuition fee loan and a maintainance loan. For the loan given for living costs, 25% is means tested. This is where the assessment of your financial circumstances takes place. The SLC require evidance to process your application.

You usually apply before your course. Forms should be available from your school, college or LEA. As I've mentioned, it is also possible to apply via the internet. You need to re-apply during each year of the course. Financial support is limited to the full duration of your course plus one additional year.

A number of universities also offer bursaries. This is again based on household income and have a hardship fund for genuine cases of financial difficulty. You may receive a scholarship. These are awarded on the basis of academic excellence and are usually expressed in terms of A-level results.

If you are not a prospective university student, you need to make enquiries about Educational Maintainance Allowance. This is a maximum of £30.00 per week. I wasn't eligible, but if you need more details, just post again and someone will help.

Good luck

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by student070289)
    I'm not entirely clear about which type of course you are applying for. If it is a degree, this would be best placed in the University forum. You can apply for Student Finance directly to Student Finance England. Applications can now be received online. If you are under the age of twenty five and have not been supporting yourself for three years or more, your household income will be taken in to account. All students are entitled to a tuition fee loan and a maintainance loan. For the loan given for living costs, 25% is means tested. This is where the assessment of your financial circumstances takes place. The SLC require evidance to process your application.

You usually apply before your course. Forms should be available from your school, college or LEA. As I've mentioned, it is also possible to apply via the internet. You need to re-apply during each year of the course. Financial support is limited to the full duration of your course plus one additional year.

A number of universities also offer bursaries. This is again based on household income and have a hardship fund for genuine cases of financial difficulty. You may receive a scholarship. These are awarded on the basis of academic excellence and are usually expressed in terms of A-level results.

If you are not a prospective university student, you need to make enquiries about Educational Maintainance Allowance. This is a maximum of £30.00 per week. I wasn't eligible, but if you need more details, just post again and someone will help.

Good luck
    its a foundation degree (over two years) but done at a college. thanks for youre explanation

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources
    How much money do you spend a week?The ultimate guide to tax!Guide to student bank accounts

Sponsored features:

Web Legend

Win a Macbook Air!

Blog about setting up a website for a chance to win in our Web Legend competition.

Quick link:

Unanswered money and finance threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.