Turn on thread page Beta

Glasses watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi there

I have been recommended to have glasses by an optician who has told me to wear the same glasses all the time, whether it be for long distance or short distance. This seemed odd to me (they aren't bifocals either). Has anyone else had this?

thanks x

ReputationRep:
    I was told to wear glasses even though I didn't need them, all about money making I guess. Though in your case you may well have to, I'm no expert

I wasn't told to wear them all the time but I do anyway. Don't want contacts and they improve my stigmatism at all distances.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FXX)
    I wasn't told to wear them all the time but I do anyway. Don't want contacts and they improve my stigmatism at all distances.
    Shoo

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by grape:))
    Hi there

I have been recommended to have glasses by an optician who has told me to wear the same glasses all the time, whether it be for long distance or short distance. This seemed odd to me (they aren't bifocals either). Has anyone else had this?

thanks x
    They're the expert, listen to them.

Get a pair of glasses :top:

ReputationRep:
    Ahhh alright... just some people are saying that one strength can't possibly assist the two distances

?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Andylol)
    They're the expert, listen to them.

Get a pair of glasses :top:
    Oh dont worry i'm picking them up next wednesday Just wondering if anyone else had similar... x

ReputationRep:
    Well, only you know whether they make a difference or not - some can't see very far without, which is kinda dangerous.

What're bifocals???

ReputationRep:
    I've been told to wear mine when I need them. Need to wear them all the time though - can't see if I don't.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Titch89)
    I've been told to wear mine when I need them. Need to wear them all the time though - can't see if I don't.
    So you wear them for long distance and short distance when you don't have bifocals?

ReputationRep:
    Hi there

thanks x
    Are they varifocals? 'Cause i'm in the same boat as you with the whole long/short distance sight, my eyesight epically fails :p:

ReputationRep:
    the opticians want u to wear glasses all the time so u can become more blind! Then u will need new glasses so they can rip u off again!
    They dnt care about ur sight! it's all about money!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Homie)
    Are they varifocals? 'Cause i'm in the same boat as you with the whole long/short distance sight, my eyesight epically fails :p:
    He didnt mention that word to me... I will check out the definition now thanks x

ReputationRep:
    So you wear them for long distance and short distance when you don't have bifocals?
    I don't have bifocals or varifocals. (which I believe my dad has)

the opticians want u to wear glasses all the time so u can become more blind! Then u will need new glasses so they can rip u off again!
    They dnt care about ur sight! it's all about money!
    What tosh! The only reason why my vision has become worse in the last 2 years (although it has stayed the same since October) is because of the problems I have with my eyes, which glasses can't correct.

If what you say is true, then explain the following me to:
    In 2007, I got new glasses. Last year, they became useless and it took my eye doctor 6 months to work out a suitable prescription for me. I got told that they will feel odd because I now have a different prescription, because I'm now slightly less short sighted. (but have poorer vision)

ReputationRep:
    OP are you short or long sighted?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ilora-Danon)
    OP are you short or long sighted?
    apparently so but only slightly

ReputationRep:
    apparently so but only slightly
    You can't be both. You're either short sighted (myopic) or long sighted (Hyperopic). Which one are you?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ilora-Danon)
    You can't be both. You're either short sighted (myopic) or long sighted (Hyperopic). Which one are you?
    I dont know, he just told me that my glasses will solve the fact that everything is blurry close up or far away

Maybe you're short sighted in one eye and long sighted in the other...that gives you the possibility of glasses solving both problems

ReputationRep:
    You're probably short sighted. I am too and wear my glasses all the time - I only have one pair.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 29, 2009
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
Do you want your parents to be with you when you collect your A-level results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.