Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ilora-Danon)
    You can't be both. You're either short sighted (myopic) or long sighted (Hyperopic). Which one are you?
    I know people who are both.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Titch89)
    Yeah.
    I'm short-sighted, but also have astigmatism in both eyes. Astigmatism basically ruins your sight at ALL distances.
    I use the same strength of glasses all the time.

ReputationRep:
    My glasses are for seeing thing far away but I am still able to wear them when reading. Of course you can take them off when reading but there isn't really any difference.
    If you wearing glasses when reading however, you must take them off for everyday use otherwise you won't be able to see...

ReputationRep:
    You can't be both. You're either short sighted (myopic) or long sighted (Hyperopic). Which one are you?
    Tell that to old grannies that have varifocal lenses :p:

"Varifocal lenses, also known as progressive lenses, are used for correcting presbyopia but unlike bifocal lenses have no visible dividing lines between the different corrections. Instead they have a graduated section in which the power of the lens progresses smoothly from one prescription to the other, allowing the wearer to see clearly at all distances. These lenses also have the benefit of looking better - they don't draw attention to the ageing process."

Short-sighter here.

ReputationRep:
    you can be one in one eye and one in the other.
    my left eye prescription is a - and my right eye prescription is a + and i wear glasses/contacts all the time since i was 2

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Belle88)
    If you wearing glasses when reading however, you must take them off for everyday use otherwise you won't be able to see...
    :confused: I was told when I was younger, I had to wear them all the time. The only reason why I can't see that much now is because my vision varies a lot, depending on how tired I am.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Skye333)
    Well, only you know whether they make a difference or not - some can't see very far without, which is kinda dangerous.

What're bifocals???
    Aren't they the proper old-skool ones with the line thru the middle?
    http://mycountryisamerica.com/images/bifocals.jpg
    LOL @ the pic

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I meant both eyes long and short sighted.

ReputationRep:
    :confused: I was told when I was younger, I had to wear them all the time. The only reason why I can't see that much now is because my vision varies a lot, depending on how tired I am.
    Sounds blood sugar related, maybe you should get checked for diabetes.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zedd)
    Sounds blood sugar related, maybe you should get checked for diabetes.
    It's not. It's because of the problems I have with my eyes. (They wobble and cause vision to be worse than normal)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thetopnotch)
    Maybe you're short sighted in one eye and long sighted in the other...that gives you the possibility of glasses solving both problems
    I'm like that, and I wear my glasses all the time to stop me from squinting. My optician told me to use them mainly for reading off the board in class, etc but its up to me if i want to wear them all the time as it won't do me any harm

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by the_woozle)
    you can be one in one eye and one in the other.
    my left eye prescription is a - and my right eye prescription is a + and i wear glasses/contacts all the time since i was 2
    Same, I'm +0.25 in one eye and -0.25 in the other, can't remember which way round it is.

Got it from my dad, who's like +1.50 in one eye, and -1.50 in the other. I tried them on and nearly dropped cos they made me dizzy.. :laugh:

ReputationRep:
    If you are longsighted (far things are clear but you have to holdthings quite far away to read), that optician is BSing. However you are probably short sighted, like me, and while you can read absolutely fine without your glasses you will naturally hold the text too close to your face which can make you even more short sight, alledgedly.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hafsaay)
    Same, I'm +0.25 in one eye and -0.25 in the other, can't remember which way round it is.

Got it from my dad, who's like +1.50 in one eye, and -1.50 in the other. I tried them on and nearly dropped cos they made me dizzy.. :laugh:
    Wow I've honestly never heard of people having + in one eye and - in the other, escpecially to the degree your dad has, like having one reading eye and one distance vision eye :p: . Do you know if it's hereditary?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Skye333)
    Well, only you know whether they make a difference or not - some can't see very far without, which is kinda dangerous.

What're bifocals???
    They are glasses with a composite lense, half with a + perscription (for reading and close work) and the other with a negative perscription for seeing longer distances. This is very rare in younger people and usually only occurs in older people as they lose the ability to change the shape of the lenses in their eyes and so cannot ajust their focus to objects near and far.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thepieofpie)
    Wow I've honestly never heard of people having + in one eye and - in the other, escpecially to the degree your dad has, like having one reading eye and one distance vision eye :p: . Do you know if it's hereditary?
    It's not that common, and people actually thought I was lying when they asked what my eyes were like..
    I think it is, the whole eyesight issue is really strong in my family. All the men wear glasses (apart from one uncle who's completely blind) and I'm sure I got my different eyes from my dad.

Edit: OMG that sounded slightly dodgy.. I'm not a man LOOOOL but I'm sure you know what I mean... :p:

ReputationRep:
    I'm short-sighted but still wear my glasses all the time cause I can't be arsed to take them off and lose them. Perhaps thats what he mean't? I don't need them when reading and shiz but still wear them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by grape:))
    He didnt mention that word to me... I will check out the definition now thanks x
    No prob I think they're basically the same as bifocals, but with varifocals - you can't see the line where the powers change on the lense. My optician wants me to get them, but I lack funds!!! :sadnod:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by grape:))
    So you wear them for long distance and short distance when you don't have bifocals?
    You don't need specifically "bifocal" lenses to see short and long distances.. Think about the people you know who wear glasses all the time, they're probably mostly just wearing regular glasses. I wear mine all the time and they're not bifocal.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cpj1987)
    Yeah.
    I'm short-sighted, but also have astigmatism in both eyes. Astigmatism basically ruins your sight at ALL distances.
    I use the same strength of glasses all the time.
    Thanks that basically sums me up I think x

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 29, 2009
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.