Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by Woostarite)
    At Worcester they're somewhat more generous. They give you £200 a year (guaranteed to all scholar's), a £70 one-off 'golden hello', and dinner with the provost in your final year (or if you can sneakily confuse the college admin regarding whether your course is 3 or 4 years, two dinners!)
    :eek:

Do you know if exhibitioners get that as well? I don't think I've got a shot at dinner with the Provost otherwise and it sounds like such fun...

Btw OP, I'd really listen to the advice on here and go and look at the mark schemes. I got a mid 2.2. for my Mods and aside from the fact that I was crap at most of the course, it became quite obvious where I'd lost marks when I looked at the mark schemes and examiner's report later on :yes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SpeciousCho)
    Ok, I know that one needs to obtain a first in all of their prelims exams, (not just one) to get a distinction!
    Errrm, I'm not sure if it's different for science subjects or even if it varies across arts subjects, but for History prelims that's not the case. You get a distinction if you 1) average above 66% overall, 2) have no marks lower than 60 and 3) have two marks of 70 or above.

(Original post by Rustlessbowl)
    Presumably you remember the gist of the arguments in your essays; why can't you just go over what you wrote with your tutor? Presumably he/she would be able to pick some holes in your answers and tell you all of the points you didn't consider.
    Can other people really remember in detail what they wrote? I can recall general areas that I covered, sure, but not the way in which I integrated them with my general argument or the specific examples I used. There are probably numerous ideas which Exam Panic Waffle Mode conned me into thinking constituted highly relevant points. I personally have no complaint with my results, but I don't think it's unreasonable, or a waste of time, for students to want to see their exam scripts in some cases.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd)
    :eek:

Do you know if exhibitioners get that as well? I don't think I've got a shot at dinner with the Provost otherwise and it sounds like such fun...

Btw OP, I'd really listen to the advice on here and go and look at the mark schemes. I got a mid 2.2. for my Mods and aside from the fact that I was crap at most of the course, it became quite obvious where I'd lost marks when I looked at the mark schemes and examiner's report later on :yes:
    I'm pretty sure the finalists' scholars dinner excluded Exhibitioners, but included other types of scholar's (instrumental, etc.)
    Saying that, it seems like a long time ago now, and I can't remember the exact makeup of the people there.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Woostarite)
    At Worcester they're somewhat more generous. They give you £200 a year (guaranteed to all scholar's), a £70 one-off 'golden hello', and dinner with the provost in your final year (or if you can sneakily confuse the college admin regarding whether your course is 3 or 4 years, two dinners!)
    You get bunce for getting a distinction? Excellent...x

ReputationRep:
    You get cash if they make you a scholar, which often-usually happens if you get a distinction. Hence the discussion above.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.