Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I know this might seem a little stupid but, In terms of the UCAS personal statement, you put extra curric. activities on there. I am a member of a shooting range, would this reflect badly upon me at a medical school interview?

ReputationRep:
    not unless you fancied using a rifle for some form of surgery

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bigman_ben)
    not unless you fancied using a rifle for some form of surgery

lol.

ReputationRep:
    If in doubt, leave it out.

ReputationRep:
    nonsense, its a legitimate hobby and there are no ethical problems with target shooting. Get it down there - definately a talking point as its a non standard thing!

ReputationRep:
    Just put it in there

ReputationRep:
    Isn't is an Olympic sport? So surely that's a good thing!

ReputationRep:
    If it doesn't add anything, get rid of it. Your PS has to be like a mini-skirt... short, but it has to cover the important bits.

ReputationRep:
    Like a bikini (which also happens to be like a statistic) - what it reveals is suggestive but what it conceals is vital.

But why not, it's quirky and a good point to run with in interview. I guess it's about patience, focus, coordination. That sort of thing.

ReputationRep:
    It ill make you stand out if you have space add it

ReputationRep:
    Shows brilliant hand-eye coordination and precision?

ReputationRep:
    It's a perfectly legitimate EC to put in your PS, just make sure you relate it to how it would benefit you in a medical-sense
    Don't be put off including it just because it's shooting, it's an olympic sport!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by martin101)
    nonsense, its a legitimate hobby and there are no ethical problems with target shooting. Get it down there - definitely a talking point as its a non standard thing!
    that's right; especially so if you are any good at it and have represented your school at some level.

ReputationRep:
    I know several medic *insert appropriate word for someone who does target shooting*. It's totally fine...and rather amusing when they get on their tube with their rifles.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Toiletpaper8)
    If it doesn't add anything, get rid of it. Your PS has to be like a mini-skirt... short, but it has to cover the important bits.
    Thats a nice way of putting it, if rather amusing! I think its also worth noting you have to (in keeping with the analogy) make sure its got neon flashing lights on the mini skirt so that when it goes down the high street youre picked out from the crowd - everyone and their granny (well at least grandad) will put down they play rugby or football or something mainstream - why not add a little spice by putting something thats a little different - but as has been rightly said make sure its used to show a quality you have.

ReputationRep:
    yep I shoot - and am doing med - definitly put it on they wont assume ur a physco!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wombat678)
    I know this might seem a little stupid but, In terms of the UCAS personal statement, you put extra curric. activities on there. I am a member of a shooting range, would this reflect badly upon me at a medical school interview?
    do you shoot hoomans?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by martin101)
    Thats a nice way of putting it, if rather amusing! I think its also worth noting you have to (in keeping with the analogy) make sure its got neon flashing lights on the mini skirt so that when it goes down the high street youre picked out from the crowd - everyone and their granny (well at least grandad) will put down they play rugby or football or something mainstream - why not add a little spice by putting something thats a little different - but as has been rightly said make sure its used to show a quality you have.
    so I should link every extra curricula activity to a quality. i'm already over the limit as it is. friggin character limit! Its so hard to get it all in!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lekky)
    so I should link every extra curricula activity to a quality. i'm already over the limit as it is. friggin character limit! Its so hard to get it all in!
    dont worry about the character limit for now - just make sure you get everything you want in it. you can cut it down later, the ps helpers will give some good tips for that!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lekky)
    No one said it was easy :P

This is why you have to make every single letter work for you - if it aint adding something its not worth having - listing everything youve ever done is fairly easy, the hard part is saying why what youve done has made you a better person and a better applicant.

I had stacks of work exp I never put down because I couldnt fit it in - I felt that Id said enough about it and what it had given me to tick that box in a tutors mind - same goes for a lot of other things too.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 3, 2009

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.