Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Recently, both of my grandmothers have passed away. It has left me wanting to find out, more about their backgrounds when they grew up, and what their families were like... and theirs and so on. I have extensive Irish family, and having recently come back from my grandmas funeral in Ireland, it has left me feeling that I have such a strong connection with the place and I want to find out more.

Does anybody know how I would go about doing all of this? My family can only tell me so much. Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    Go to ancestry.co.uk! You can make a free family tree, and it finds information for you from that - even connecting to others' trees. You have to pay to see records, but there's a free 14 day trail, you can cancel after 7 and never pay a penny

This websites good, as there aren't many irish/N. irish records - due to burning (seriously). But it has whatever ones there are.

D good luck xx

ReputationRep:
    you'll have to find out some names and get down to the library and have a damn good search. My grandma started doing this sort of research not long ago after she saw an advert in the paper from some guy wanting to get in contact with members of her family and this man turned out to be some cousin or other

ReputationRep:
    Thanks I'll give this ancestry website a go. I'll have to get down to the library aswell Big project for the summer!

ReputationRep:
    First things first, get as much information as you can out of your relatives. You'll find it very difficult to research Irish family history if you don't have a specific location. Sometimes the surname can help you find the family's location depending on how common it is and such. A lot of the Irish records were destroyed so it's a lot harder than searching in the UK.

Try these sites (ideally in roughly this order):
    http://www.movinghere.org.uk/galleri...irishroots.htm (guide to tracing Irish families)
    http://www.irishtimes.com/ancestor/genie/ (type in what you know and it'll tell you where to start/go next)
    http://www.cyndislist.com/ (extensive collection of genealogy sites)
    http://www.irishgenealogy.ie/ (records collection)
    http://www.genuki.org.uk/ (all UK and Ireland, especially useful for searching by place and finding out more about a place and others nearby)

PM me if you need any help.

ReputationRep:
    I'll ask my Mum when she gets back, she's found our history back to the 1700s. You can get birth certificate reprints from the government I think, and then you look at their fathers name/mothers name on the birth certificate and then look up that person in the registry etc etc. Annoying thing is at a certain point (in our case mid 1770s) the records won't be available from places like the internet. We will have to go up to Northumberland and to a little Parish to look in their record books to go back any further and my Mum is too lazy to drive up there and do it.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks so much everyone for the effort you've put in I think its so interesting to do. I think me and my mum are gonna sit down and try and do as much of it as possible from relatives, and then research it from there. I didn't know Irish records were destroyed so this is gonna be harder than I thought! And you know how big Irish families can get... lol...

Did anyone find anything interesting when they were researching ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DiamondsAreForever)
    Thanks so much everyone for the effort you've put in I think its so interesting to do. I think me and my mum are gonna sit down and try and do as much of it as possible from relatives, and then research it from there. I didn't know Irish records were destroyed so this is gonna be harder than I thought! And you know how big Irish families can get... lol...

Yes - one of my dad's distant ancestors signed Charles I's death warrant :woo:

Also, try looking for the FamilySearch site (or similar) run by the Latter Day Saints. My mum found it invaluable. I think they might have proper archives in London near the British Museum, but we went a few years ago and I might be confusing that with the Public Records Office (worth a visit, although I don't know if it has Irish records).

ReputationRep:
    Try Genes Reunited?

My nana's reasearching the family history and found out that her gran, who everyone thought had no family, had like 6 half-brothers and sisters!! She's meeting up with this guy soon who's apparently her 4th cousin or something. Probably not interesting to you but we saw a picture of my great-great-great-grandad (who had dumped my g-g-nan on his parents and then got remarried a couple of times) and a lot of random family features have been explained. It's quite sad that my g-g-nan never knew about the huge family she had though

Just re-read that and realised that it's really badly written :p:

ReputationRep:
    Recently, both of my grandmothers have passed away. It has left me wanting to find out, more about their backgrounds when they grew up, and what their families were like... and theirs and so on. I have extensive Irish family, and having recently come back from my grandmas funeral in Ireland, it has left me feeling that I have such a strong connection with the place and I want to find out more.

Does anybody know how I would go about doing all of this? My family can only tell me so much. Thanks.
    If you go into your local mormon/LDS chapel they have a family history centre where even members of the public can use with a personal ancestory file, and there will be someone there to help you get startd

ReputationRep:

Not much that'd be interesting to other people really. My granddad on my mum's side has allsorts of bizarre and incredibly complicated things going on with his family history (but to type it out, I don't think it'd sound particularly fascinating). There isn't one conventional family in there. No wonder his parents were so reluctant to talk about the past... (He died before I was born so this is what my grandma told me).

ReputationRep:

Off topic, my gran died in N.Ireland recently. I'm having the same trouble with the records

ReputationRep:
    Found out some weird stuff about a little illegitimate child, and also found some letters of a wife writing to her husband in WW1 about their baby, called Bertha, who ended up dying when she was only about 6 months old. The baby was my Great Great Aunt (I think). Weird to think my Great Great Aunt died at 6 months old! Also found out the names of several of our ancestors and then went to visit the graves in the graveyard which was cool!

ReputationRep:
    Oooo all sounds very interesting ! Sounds like I've got a lotttttt of hard work to do!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.