Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Do you NEED a laptop for university? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I'm going to university this summer and have been looking around for laptops.

Having not known beforehand, I've realised that laptops are very very expensive relative to their specs compared to a desktop. How necessary are they really for university use (economics course fwiw)? I'm guessing the main practical use of it is to take it to lectures but beyond that would I be needing to move it around campus much?

I'd want to play games occasionally (although I have an Xbox 360 anyway so it'd only be really for playing PC exclusive type games) but laptops that will play modern games even on medium settings are 1k-ish. Would it make more sense to just buy a cheap, small and functional laptop then buy a separate desktop? I imagine it'd be far better value although space might be a problem.

So...do I even need a laptop for university or can I just buy a desktop? Is having both over the top and needless?

ReputationRep:
    get a desktop

if you need portability, get a £200 netbook

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't have both. I don't know anyone who takes a laptop to lectures, or isn't annoyed by the noise of one in lecture.

ReputationRep:
    A desktop is fine as long as you have a usb stick to transfer files etc if you need to go to the library and do any work.. just makes it a bit difficult to move around. I never used my laptop in a lecture, but sometimes needed it if I wanted to sit in the library and do work, or my living room etc.. even on my bed so I wasn't stuck at a desk all day

ReputationRep:
    im doing economics this summer too!!
    ermm im going to get a laptop but i suppose a desktop will be equally as good.. but remember your accomodation is going to be pretty / very small and so a desktop will take up loads of space

ReputationRep:
    just bear in mind that if you get a desktop you'll have to think about what you'll do with it when you're not at uni.. store it? take it home? laptops are definitely more convenient in terms of portability

ReputationRep:
    Depends if you intend to study at the Libary once in a while as I usually use it when I am in the Libaray as it can be difficult to find an avaliable computer space. Also I take mine with me when I travel home to use at home and in the train

ReputationRep:
    You need to get a Mac really, or the cool kids won't like you.

ReputationRep:
    Get a laptop and don't play any (resource-intensive) games.

Laptops are convenient, and while not at undergrad I've had plenty of fellow students at postgrad who had their laptops with them and typed their lecture notes straight on PC.

If you go for a desktop, use SyncBack (there's a free version) to synchronise between it and the USB stick, plus always!!! send important files to your email. I know a couple of people who's sticks crashed beyond repair and one other person whose laptop HD said goodbye for good.

As sticky tape said, desktops can be a pain, I stored one for a friend of mine over summer.

ReputationRep:
    I'm living on campus (well, about 10 minutes away anyway in student accomodation) so portability isn't a big issue, apart from, as sticky tape mentioned, during holidays. I guess I'd just take it home for safety mainly - I can always drive down with it if needed.

but remember your accomodation is going to be pretty / very small and so a desktop will take up loads of space
    I wondered about this, but really a PC tower isn't exactly huge, I imagine I'd be able to keep it under a desk?

ReputationRep:
    after thinking long and hard ive decided to jus take a desktop flat screen freeview tv tht can be used asa monitor too jus because i knw i will NEVER take my laptop to uni lol its pointless and like u sed a tower is not exactly huge jus put it under ur desk. remember the desks r huge in halls.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by c2uk)
    Get a laptop and don't play any (resource-intensive) games.

Laptops are convenient, and while not at undergrad I've had plenty of fellow students at postgrad who had their laptops with them and typed their lecture notes straight on PC.

If you go for a desktop, use SyncBack (there's a free version) to synchronise between it and the USB stick, plus always!!! send important files to your email. I know a couple of people who's sticks crashed beyond repair and one other person whose laptop HD said goodbye for good.

As sticky tape said, desktops can be a pain, I stored one for a friend of mine over summer.
    people who use a usb flash drive for backup purposes should be shot

ReputationRep:
    A desktop is fine if you don't want a laptop. You can use the university's computer facilities outside of your room. I have never seen anyone take a laptop into one of my lectures, nor are they used much in the library since the Music school provides a computer lab and a few computers in the library.

I have both, but that's only because I specifically wanted a Mac Mini - I had a laptop first.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for all the advice. Looks like I'm just gonna spend money on a high-end desktop.

Being quite ignorant, how will I go about connecting to university wireless? Will I need to buy a wireless router to along with the PC?

ReputationRep:
    I took a desktop, a netbook and a file server. I use my netbook for notes in lectures and just killing time between lectures. Desktop with dual monitors for gaming/programming/other work in general. Could always get a small form factor desktop if you want to take it home for the holidays.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alexsheppard11)
    people who use a usb flash drive for backup purposes should be shot
    Well, I know plenty of people who've done it, despite even our lecturers saying it at the beginning of our studies.

Anyway, my suggestion wasn't for backing up purposes, just transferring files from uni computer to whatever other PC you're using. Though SyncBack can of course also be used to comfortably backup your stuff, for example on an external hard disk or DVD.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sv90)
    Thanks for all the advice. Looks like I'm just gonna spend money on a high-end desktop.

Being quite ignorant, how will I go about connecting to university wireless? Will I need to buy a wireless router to along with the PC?
    Either look for a desktop that has wireless built in or get a USB or PCI/PCI-E wireless adaptor. You could get a wireless bridge, but it'd be easier just to get a dongle. Although you may find your room will have a wired network port anyway.

ReputationRep:
    I have a desktop and a netbook personally. Laptops aren't even portable really - their quite large and the battery lasts no time at all. Better to buy a system for what you want it for. Buy a netbook if you want portability, buy a desktop if you want power, buy both if you want both. Don't buy a laptop cause it doesn't really fulfil either of those roles particularly well.

ReputationRep:
    laptops are only useful in a tiny amount of situations nowadays.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sv90)
    I'm going to university this summer and have been looking around for laptops.

Having not known beforehand, I've realised that laptops are very very expensive relative to their specs compared to a desktop. How necessary are they really for university use (economics course fwiw)? I'm guessing the main practical use of it is to take it to lectures but beyond that would I be needing to move it around campus much?

I'd want to play games occasionally (although I have an Xbox 360 anyway so it'd only be really for playing PC exclusive type games) but laptops that will play modern games even on medium settings are 1k-ish. Would it make more sense to just buy a cheap, small and functional laptop then buy a separate desktop? I imagine it'd be far better value although space might be a problem.
    So...do I even need a laptop for university or can I just buy a desktop? Is having both over the top and needless?
    I'd bet that you'd never even move a lappy from your desk. Get a desktop.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Have you ever participated in a Secret Santa?
    Useful resources

Articles:

The Student Room tech wikiTech forum guidelines

Quick link:

Unanswered technology and computers threads

Sponsored features:

Web Legend

Win a Macbook Air!

Blog about setting up a website for a chance to win in our Web Legend competition.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.