Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kellyh91)
    I'm hopefully going to do Criminology.. staying in Woodlands too.. and where bouts in Lincolnshire you from? Cos I'm from Yorkshire haha

I'm from Sunny Grimsby. I see your from Doncaster? I've spent many an hour waiting for a train in Donny station! (Handy is that Frenchgate) Lol...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by musicmad2020)
    I'm from Sunny Grimsby. I see your from Doncaster? I've spent many an hour waiting for a train in Donny station! (Handy is that Frenchgate) Lol...
    (Y)
    Yep it sure is
    What you wanting to study?

ReputationRep:
    (Y)
    Yep it sure is
    What you wanting to study?
    Graphic Design (Advertising). College has been a bit of a struggle for me, because I started in 2006 wanting to do music, but I failed A/S level twice (even though I got an A at GCSE).... so although I love music and english I've ended up having to do Graphic Design. Don't get me wrong I love graphics, but this isn't the path I thought I was going to end up on when I left school! However at least Graphics will always be a good back up for me. That was a bit of a waffle I'm sorry haha.

ReputationRep:
    Graphic Design (Advertising). College has been a bit of a struggle for me, because I started in 2006 wanting to do music, but I failed A/S level twice (even though I got an A at GCSE).... so although I love music and english I've ended up having to do Graphic Design. Don't get me wrong I love graphics, but this isn't the path I thought I was going to end up on when I left school! However at least Graphics will always be a good back up for me. That was a bit of a waffle I'm sorry haha.

Ohh Mann!!
    Well I'm Having Second Thoughts About What I Want To Do.. Not Got A Clue No More.. So I'll Just Be Using My Degree (Hopefully) As A BackUp Too..
    So Your Not Alone Lol

God I Did English At A Level.. And Hated It With A Passion! :mad:

ReputationRep:
    Ohh Mann!!
    Well I'm Having Second Thoughts About What I Want To Do.. Not Got A Clue No More.. So I'll Just Be Using My Degree (Hopefully) As A BackUp Too..
    So Your Not Alone Lol

God I Did English At A Level.. And Hated It With A Passion! :mad:

Yeah I agree with you, a back-up is always good. I know someone who dropped out of college to persue music, now he's 21 he still hasn't had a break and basically gave up the band etc... so whatever your main passion is, having something (on paper) to back it up means that hopefully you will always be secure!

English A-level.. I did Lang-Lit A/S, hated it completely and suprise suprise got an E... however I then did English Lang A/S & A level and I really enjoyed that (fingers crossed for results day!)..

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I agree with you, a back-up is always good. I know someone who dropped out of college to persue music, now he's 21 he still hasn't had a break and basically gave up the band etc... so whatever your main passion is, having something (on paper) to back it up means that hopefully you will always be secure!

English A-level.. I did Lang-Lit A/S, hated it completely and suprise suprise got an E... however I then did English Lang A/S & A level and I really enjoyed that (fingers crossed for results day!)..
    Awww Unlucky!
    Yeah That's It

Yeah I Did The Combined.. We Couldnt Do Them Separate :\ & I Hated Every Second Of It.. I Scraped A D At AS God Knows How.. But Fingers Very Crossed For Thursday!!!

ReputationRep:
    Awww Unlucky!
    Yeah That's It

Yeah I Did The Combined.. We Couldnt Do Them Separate :\ & I Hated Every Second Of It.. I Scraped A D At AS God Knows How.. But Fingers Very Crossed For Thursday!!!

Yep best of luck! If I don't get my grades I'll be applying to do an art and design foundation course, so I'm really hoping my hard work paid off this time around. I never seem to have much luck at results day (hopefully this year it will change!)

ReputationRep:
    hii
    anyone in woodland hall 3??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by daniellemcd)
    hii
    anyone in woodland hall 3??
    I Ammm .. What Room? x

ReputationRep:
    I am going to be studying BA Creative Digital Media, and got my accommodation through, I will be staying in Parkside House 7 (West). Anyone else here?

ReputationRep:
    I Ammm .. What Room? x
    hey im in 2.08 you?x

ReputationRep:
    hey im in 2.08 you?x

I think I may be your next door neighbour lol!

ReputationRep:
    hey im in 2.08 you?x
    Hey Im In 2.06 x

ReputationRep:
    Can't wait to get going now.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by booger)
    Can't wait to get going now.

I'm still very nervous about it all! If you don't mind me asking, how come you chose Teesside when you live in London?

ReputationRep:
    I'm still very nervous about it all! If you don't mind me asking, how come you chose Teesside when you live in London?
    I don't mind at all!

There were a few factors. I looked at other unis I'd be interested in. Ones which were strong with regard to technical subjects. Computer science being technical. I looked at two other unis in depth. Brunel and Plymouth.

Brunel I looked round and didn't really like too much. I don't know why seemed decent enough, but wasn't for me. It was also a lot more expensive in accommodation costs alone. Living in London is more expensive than living any where else in the known universe.

Looked at Plymouth. Plymouth is about the same distance from SE London as Teesside. So distance is no longer a part of the issue for me. It seemed nice down there and I was pretty sure thats where I wanted to go.

Then came the Teesside open day. Nice campus, lots of facilities near by, helpful, knowledgeable staff. Its nice when you can talk to one of the lecturers doing your course and find out they obviously know their beans. I liked the accommodation, the locals seemed pretty friendly too. Even if they did all (almost with out fail) ask me loads of questions about London! :rolleyes: You wouldn't believe the Train Guard actually had a job to do.

The uni has invested crazy amounts of money into its computing department. Something like forty million pounds.

I like the local accent too, very minor reason which wouldn't really sway me either way but meh. Middlesbrough seems OK. I know it has dodgy parts but then so does London, so does every town or city. That said an old lady fell off her seat whilst I was waiting for the train. Now normally I'd be the first person (likely only) person to be helping in London. In Middlesbrough station, not only was I the last person to get off my feet to go and help, by the time I was standing there were already 6 people over there helping her! First time I've ever felt redundant in that sort of situation before. Its also a long way from my parents so random visits are unlikely.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by booger)
    I don't mind at all!

There were a few factors. I looked at other unis I'd be interested in. Ones which were strong with regard to technical subjects. Computer science being technical. I looked at two other unis in depth. Brunel and Plymouth.

Brunel I looked round and didn't really like too much. I don't know why seemed decent enough, but wasn't for me. It was also a lot more expensive in accommodation costs alone. Living in London is more expensive than living any where else in the known universe.

Looked at Plymouth. Plymouth is about the same distance from SE London as Teesside. So distance is no longer a part of the issue for me. It seemed nice down there and I was pretty sure thats where I wanted to go.

Then came the Teesside open day. Nice campus, lots of facilities near by, helpful, knowledgeable staff. Its nice when you can talk to one of the lecturers doing your course and find out they obviously know their beans. I liked the accommodation, the locals seemed pretty friendly too. Even if they did all (almost with out fail) ask me loads of questions about London! :rolleyes: You wouldn't believe the Train Guard actually had a job to do.

The uni has invested crazy amounts of money into its computing department. Something like forty million pounds.

I like the local accent too, very minor reason which wouldn't really sway me either way but meh. Middlesbrough seems OK. I know it has dodgy parts but then so does London, so does every town or city. That said an old lady fell off her seat whilst I was waiting for the train. Now normally I'd be the first person (likely only) person to be helping in London. In Middlesbrough station, not only was I the last person to get off my feet to go and help, by the time I was standing there were already 6 people over there helping her! First time I've ever felt redundant in that sort of situation before. Its also a long way from my parents so random visits are unlikely.
    Thankyou for replying! I love London, I went last week actually for a couple of gigs. My Brother and Dad live there but I don't see myself as a London girl when it comes to being able to live there. The old lady thing - I totally agree that generally people in London don't have alot of manners (not all Londoners of course!)... but when I was going for my interviews around London, carrying a huge portfolio I was doing my best to keep it out of peoples way, yet I still had guys effin and blinding at me to move.... something which just wouldn't happen up north. Although there arn't always the opportunities in the north in terms of living someplace, I like general politeness etc. So Teesside has it all in that respect... although despite being 80 miles up the coast it does take 4 hours to get to on 3 different trains! :woo:

ReputationRep:
    Thankyou for replying! I love London, I went last week actually for a couple of gigs. My Brother and Dad live there but I don't see myself as a London girl when it comes to being able to live there. The old lady thing - I totally agree that generally people in London don't have alot of manners (not all Londoners of course!)... but when I was going for my interviews around London, carrying a huge portfolio I was doing my best to keep it out of peoples way, yet I still had guys effin and blinding at me to move.... something which just wouldn't happen up north. Although there arn't always the opportunities in the north in terms of living someplace, I like general politeness etc. So Teesside has it all in that respect... although despite being 80 miles up the coast it does take 4 hours to get to on 3 different trains! :woo:
    Depends where you live in London. The most exciting thing that happens round here is some kids shout at a cat once in a blue moon. Pretty much sleepy hollow.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.