Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Can't sleep-noise from the street I'm on Watch

ReputationRep:
    I haven't been sleeping properly since Sunday. At first I thought it was because someone had left the windows in the building wide open and the noise from the high street we're on was coming through the gap my door but now I'm not so sure. I've been shutting the windows in the building for the past 2 nights but the traffic still sounds louder in my apartment than when I first moved in. I can hear it through my wax earplugs and it's driving me nuts. The woman from my company who owns the apartment did say the windows were a bit dodgy and that I had to have them open for a certain amount of time each day so I'm wondering if they've broken somehow? Don't know how they could do that.

Working has been really difficult and I'm having to resort to stupid measures like loads of tea all day, loads of herbal pills at night, and as of last night, beer. Don't want to put on a lot of weight or waste pills when they're not working. So I wondered if anyone has any suggestions on how to get to sleep or block out noise? I take herbal pills which usually work but aren't at the mo, drink calming tea and as I said I'm using fresh wax earplugs. I might buy some thicker curtains and I'm trying to cover the windows at the minute with plastic bags as they're all I've got and I can't get blankets to stay. I will also have a word with the lady in the next few days to tell her I'm not sleeping and ask her to have a look at the windows as my insomnia has fully returned. I can only get between 0-4 hours sleep a night.

Any help appreciated

ReputationRep:
    Can you play some music over it? I often play stuff like Damien Rice or Enya if I am trying to get to sleep.

ReputationRep:
    How long have you been there? My boyfriend's apartment in manchester has more street noise than mine, and I find it takes a day or two to get used to.

ReputationRep:
    I might give music a go thanks I'm quite awkward though as I can only sleep when there's hardly any noise at all. I'm the lightest sleeper ever! It's ridiculous.

ReputationRep:
    Incense worked for me, weirdly

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *Star*Guitar*)
    How long have you been there? My boyfriend's apartment in manchester has more street noise than mine, and I find it takes a day or two to get used to.
    I've been here for 5 weeks. I couldn't sleep at all the first night and I've managed to ever since. Now suddenly I can't because everything seems to be a lot louder. I really don't get it.

ReputationRep:
    Earplugs, but you do get used to it. And I lived on this road for a year:

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&so...h&z=16&iwloc=A

LOUD.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ashy)
    Earplugs, but you do get used to it. And I lived on this road for a year:

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&so...h&z=16&iwloc=A

LOUD.
    Got some. Thought they'd work as I've used them for 2 years straight but they can't keep this noise out.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hannah_dru)
    Got some. Thought they'd work as I've used them for 2 years straight but they can't keep this noise out.
    Then all I can say is that you'll get used to it. After a couple of weeks it'll seem odd to sleep without that noise. Hard to believe, but it's true.

That said, sirens and motorbikes still piss me off.

ReputationRep:
    you should get used to it. If not ear plugs, warm bath or drink yourself to sleep :p:. Wouldn't go down sleeping pill route

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ashy)
    Then all I can say is that you'll get used to it. After a couple of weeks it'll seem odd to sleep without that noise. Hard to believe, but it's true.

That said, sirens and motorbikes still piss me off.
    I heard you can get fairly strong earplugs though. These ones are Boots Muffles wax ones which I bought loads of before I left. I hope so. I'm one of these people who takes months or sometimes a year to get used to sleeping somewhere. My whole family is the same.

I actually have padded envelopes on part of my windows now. Insane!

ReputationRep:
    Yeah it is a bit ridiculous. To be honest, I never thought I'd get used to it but I did.

I wore these for a long time and they helped: http://www.amazon.co.uk/SleepSoft-Ea...8816109&sr=8-5

But in the end I just slept without them as they got uncomfortable and kept falling out.

ReputationRep:
    Invest in an oil burner. Aromatherapy has been used for centuries as an aid to sleep. Ask about an oil that is meant to aid sleep, or just find one you like, I love camphor whereas my boyfriend favours lime. It does help, and even if it doesn't work for you it makes your room smell nice.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hippieglitter)
    Invest in an oil burner. Aromatherapy has been used for centuries as an aid to sleep. Ask about an oil that is meant to aid sleep, or just find one you like, I love camphor whereas my boyfriend favours lime. It does help, and even if it doesn't work for you it makes your room smell nice.
    Excellent, thank you! I used to have some lavender spray back home which was nice and calming. I'll find out where it went...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hippieglitter)
    Aren't citrus oils energising? Try lavender :yep:

ReputationRep:
    I would also suggest music. I usually fall asleep with my ipod in.

Or....read. Make yourself so tired you just fall asleep.

ReputationRep:
    I read a bit last night and that did help, thanks Planning on doing the same tonight if I don't get anywhere again. I think I'm so overtired now that I'm running on adrenaline and caffeine.

ReputationRep:
    I'm a light sleeper too, I find that earplugs are the best solution.

ReputationRep:
    Try sleeping naked it helps :yep:

Seriously, you feel like you have no restrictions.

Or I find reading an okay book for about an hour works- nothing too interesting or it keeps me awake.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ashy)
    Aren't citrus oils energising? Try lavender :yep:
    I don't know, i was just mentioning that lime is what my boyfriend likes, its not for everyone. Lavender is traditionally good as a sleep aid, personally i hate lavender, but if thats what you like, go for it. Another one i'd suggest trying is sandalwood, it's really nice, but beware, it is expensive.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 30, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.