Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Are you meant to feel like this in a relationship? :-( Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cupcakee)
    No, that's horrible.

Get rid of him, things won't get better he sounds like an idiot.

that is bs advice, what part of her post made it sound like the bf is to blame?

ReputationRep:
    this is your first relationship so I can see why you would start being conscious of other girls and stuff. You need to talk to him and tell him about how you feel - it's how a relationship grows (or ends).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bateman)
    Exactly. God there are so many stupid girls on this forum. I'm pretty anti against players and alpha males but flirting/joking whether you are single or in a relationship happens all the time and really is not an issue unless you're incredibly insecure or have trust issues. As I said it is not a crime to talk to another girl so people who bound around this 'he's a bad boyfriend dump him' bs are deluded.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Davezk)
    Normally I would agree with you. If you're unhappy in a relationship you shouldn't be in it.

BUT

The problem fundamentally stems from her rather than the relationship itself. She is upset because essentially he is talking/flirting with other girls. The fact is whether it is this guy or another guy, she will still feel this way because of her own insecurities. He has done nothing wrong, it's normal behaviour and I think the OP needs to assess her own self esteem issues rather than blame it on him.

That's my point. This girl seems like one who would get upset because a picture ended up on facebook with him and another girl. Whilest perfectly innocent, you can't call him a bad boyfriend or accuse him of treating her like **** can you?

She can break up with him but she will only find herself in this situation again until the bigger issue is addressed. As far as I see it, he's with her and that is all that should matter and she should realise that yeah there might be prettier girls but who you are on the inside is more important. Maybe the OP has a better personality for example (although insecurity is definitely not an attractive trait).
    In my post I explicitly said that he wasn't treating her like ****. Regardless, my advice would be to break up with him - if being with him makes her unhappy (for whatever reason) then what is the point of being together? It's not a good thing to feel that way in a relationship. Also, the point of my post was that through being sensitive about things and helping to build my self esteem, my ex stopped me feeling like that and I've been able to take that away from the relationship. If he makes her feel worse rather than better then why be with him at all?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    keep anon please

I feel so so down. He's my first boyfriend, im 20, a late bloomer i know. but being with him makes me feel so aware of other girls and so insecure about my self. I've started to hate the way I look, my figure, my chest, my legs, my face, my hair. He always flirts with girls much prettier than me, and when he looks at them i feel sick to the stomach and automatically think "he wants her... he's only with you because he cant have those girls so he settles for you". Aren't relationships meant to make you feel happy?

If it's really getting you down then tell him, you're supposed to be happy in a relationship and hes suppose to make you feel special. Theres no point staying with him just for the sake of it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Davezk)
    Exactly. God there are so many stupid girls on this forum. I'm pretty anti against players and alpha males but flirting/joking whether you are single or in a relationship happens all the time and really is not an issue unless you're incredibly insecure or have trust issues. As I said it is not a crime to talk to another girl so people who bound around this 'he's a bad boyfriend dump him' bs are deluded.
    You're the one who can't read other people's posts: noone is saying that he's horrible BECAUSE he is talking to other girls, just that he doesn't make her happy. So where is all this anger coming from? Maybe you ought to read over other people's posts before you go calling them stupid, cos that's how you're coming across by being so aggressive for absolutely no reason.

Edit: Ah, just read what you wrote. Fair enough then - thought that both posts were aimed at me cos I was quoted.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cloud Shine)
    In my post I explicitly said that he wasn't treating her like ****. Regardless, my advice would be to break up with him - if being with him makes her unhappy (for whatever reason) then what is the point of being together? It's not a good thing to feel that way in a relationship. Also, the point of my post was that through being sensitive about things and helping to build my self esteem, my ex stopped me feeling like that and I've been able to take that away from the relationship. If he makes her feel worse rather than better then why be with him at all?
    I know I quoted you but a lot of my post was aimed at others on this thread saying he's an idiot and should treat her better.

ReputationRep:
    Post 8 and Post 20 for example

ReputationRep:
    I'm sorry, I'm not going to read it all because I believe I have an answer already. Judging by your title, you're sad. And no relationship should make you sad. I suggest you move on =)

ReputationRep:
    Davezk (and others, but his point is put across better) is right - The guy is not to blame at all... It's perfectly normal to feel like that, especially in a late first-time relationship. My friends have been the same, hell, I was the same in my first relationship.

You can either talk to him about it, or learn to love yourself and appreciate what you have - or change something about yourself if you're really unhappy.

latot

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bateman)
    Ah you are right! Sorry I mis-read it. I thought she said he makes her feel insecure about all those things listed

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 30, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.