Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I am on the pill, have been on it for 2-3 years now. I love being on it so that I know when I'm due and that I feel extra protected from pregnancy, but I love my breasts and I'm always scared of getting breast cancer...and the pill is said to increase risk of getting it.

Is this a really big risk? Or do they have to just warn you in case there is some kind of proven link between the two?
    So many people are on the pill, the doctor told me that a very large percentage of girls at my Uni are on it.
    I have no history of cancer in my family, but it could happen to anyone and I am very worried about the possibility, even though I wouldn't want to give up all the benefits of the pill either.

Does anyone know any more? Id appreciate any info.

ReputationRep:
    Im also worried about this and would liek some reassurance, my mums had cancer before but not breast cancer.

ReputationRep:
    Experts estimate that for every 10,000 women who have never used
    the Pill, about 16 of them will develop breast cancer by the time they
    are 35. For every 10,000 women who took the combined Pill for 5 years
    until they were 25, about 17 – 18 of them will probably develop breast
    cancer by the time they are 35 (i.e. there will be 1-2 extra cases of
    breast cancer in 10,000 women who took the combined Pill for 5 years
    until they were 25).

For every 10,000 women who have never used the Pill, about 160
    of them will get breast cancer by the time they are 50. For every
    10,000 women who took the combined Pill for 5 years until they were
    40, about 181 will probably develop breast cancer by the time they are 50
    (i.e. there will be about 21 extra cases of breast cancer in 10,000 women
    who took the combined Pill for 5 years until they were 40).

http://www.breakthrough.org.uk/what_..._pill_and.html

A very small risk really. The pill does seem to decrease the risk of ovarian cancer and of uterine cancer but there is an increased risk of cervical cancer (and breast cancer, obviously). However, it has been discussed that the increase in cervical cancer could be due to the sexual habits of those on the pill (i.e. no condoms, more sexually active etc.)

What plays a far greater role is your general health and ensure you check your breasts regularly etc. Breast cancer (and most other cancers) are very rare in teenagers and young adults.

ReputationRep:
    It seems to say on leaflets and such that people find that the decreased risk in other cancers etc. plus the protection is worth it for the minute extra risk in breast and cervical cancer.

(Original post by Miss_Scarlet)
    I am on the pill, have been on it for 2-3 years now. I love being on it so that I know when I'm due and that I feel extra protected from pregnancy, but I love my breasts and I'm always scared of getting breast cancer...and the pill is said to increase risk of getting it.

Is this a really big risk? Or do they have to just warn you in case there is some kind of proven link between the two?
    So many people are on the pill, the doctor told me that a very large percentage of girls at my Uni are on it.
    I have no history of cancer in my family, but it could happen to anyone and I am very worried about the possibility, even though I wouldn't want to give up all the benefits of the pill either.

Does anyone know any more? Id appreciate any info.
    Overall the pill reduces your risk of dying 'before your time'

Simple.

ReputationRep:
    There are certain cancer risks with taking the pill. Personally if your taking the pill for years, then you must consider yourself some things.

1. Your an idiot.

2. Your risk is greatly increased

3. Dont counteract point number 1, i will let you decide for yourself why you might be an idiot.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by logic123)
    There are certain cancer risks with taking the pill. Personally if your taking the pill for years, then you must consider yourself some things.

1. Your an idiot.

3. Dont counteract point number 1, i will let you decide for yourself why you might be an idiot.
    How rediculous.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by logic123)

1. Your an idiot.

Just be glad you are male, and do not have to worry about falling pregnant and having to decide whether to risk it or take a pill.

ReputationRep:
    Hey,

on advice of my GP I changed from the pill to the coil recently. She said that due to my family history (Mum and Grandma had both breast cancer) my risk is increased anyway and I shouldn't really be on the pill as this would increase the risk even more.

I just used the pill for a few months as I had a coil before and am now quite happy that I changed back to the coil.

See your GP and talk about your worries. I can highly recommend you the coil, saver than the pill and there's no way that you personally can do something wrong eg miss a pill. This plus the decreased risk of breast cancer (even if it's minimal, if you lived through your mum suffering from it you are definitely scared like hell) should make your decision to change your contraception easy.

All the best.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sun-is-shining)
    Hey,

on advice of my GP I changed from the pill to the coil recently. She said that due to my family history (Mum and Grandma had both breast cancer) my risk is increased anyway and I shouldn't really be on the pill as this would increase the risk even more.

I just used the pill for a few months as I had a coil before and am now quite happy that I changed back to the coil.

See your GP and talk about your worries. I can highly recommend you the coil, saver than the pill and there's no way that you personally can do something wrong eg miss a pill. This plus the decreased risk of breast cancer (even if it's minimal, if you lived through your mum suffering from it you are definitely scared like hell) should make your decision to change your contraception easy.

All the best.
    Have you had a BRCA1 / BRCA2 test done? Soemthing to look into - I only mention it because I've done a project on it...

ReputationRep:
    when i went on the mini pill i asked the doctor about the risk, and she said that its minimal, and if a cancer did develop in the tiny risk frame the risk of it spreading is smaller than if you got cancer from not taking the pill

read the leaflet that comes with you're pill it has loads of information about the risks on it

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 2, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.