Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Why do we arrest Muslim clerics for Inciting violence but not rappers? watch

ReputationRep:
    Its a simple question. We arrest muslim hate preachers for inciting violence. Their words can incite someone to commit a terrorist attack, 55 people died on 7/7.
    However i am not scared of a terrorist attack, this does not worry me what so ever. I however am much more wary of the gangs of young men who are trying to be gangsters, wearing hoodies, talking aggresively in ebonics etc....

I see many young black, white, Asian of Pakistani heritage acting in a manner synonymous with an attitude preached by rappers. I hear this music on the radio talking about violence and the associated culture advertises knife and gun crime.

This culture exists in both UK and American rap music. The police and authorities have associated gun and knife crime with rap music.

I question why do we not arrest these rappers for inciting violence.

ReputationRep:
    I listen to rap (as well as nearly every other genre) and I do not go out stabbing people. The majority of society are in the same boat.

You can link people who carry knifes with rap, but not rap with knifes (with some, but few exceptions).

ReputationRep:
    Also, people rap to sell CD's - I don't really give a toss what they rap about - as long as it rhymes lyrically.

If I listen to Abu Hamzar on the street - he only has one aim.

ReputationRep:
    Ebonics, lol.

ReputationRep:
    I can, however, see the point you are making - but I think it's more of a "who/what can we blame for knife crime" approach - instead of the government looking at the issue and resolving it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheJudge)
    Its a simple question. We arrest muslim hate preachers for inciting violence.
    Of the absolute minority of individuals that are arrested, its because of inciting racial hatred not violence. As far as im aware, you cannot be conventionally arrested for inciting violence.

ReputationRep:
    As Chris Rock said:
    "White people make guns, and that's all right"
    "Black people rap about guns...Congressional hearing!"

I agree that there's something about the gangsta rap scene that provides the background music to what's going on in some parts of the country. I posted it elsewhere about a columnist who said that the "culture" of violence - esp against women, should be tackled in the same way that violent religious extremism is tackled.

ReputationRep:
    I'm fairy sure people like Beanie Man has been arrested for his lyrics. Wasn't he scheduled to do a show in London/did a show in London and was arrested for inciting violence?

I'd Wiki him but he's a ****.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aack)
    Also, people rap to sell CD's - I don't really give a toss what they rap about - as long as it rhymes lyrically.

If I listen to Abu Hamzar on the street - he only has one aim.
    I thought you said one arm.. but that's also true :yep:

ReputationRep:
    people listen to rap because its music = they enjoy it.

why would you listen to hate filled speeches = to get fired up and kill people.

there not comparable.

ReputationRep:
    Rappers can never be arrested because they could always just argue the case that they are exploring something relating to a fictitious narrative/character within their song. Only thing they can get is either a parental advisory sticker on the cover of their record or (in the case of rap music) re-record the singles to make them more user friendly.

And don't single out rap music either. Other genres of music have disgraceful lyrics.

ReputationRep:
    Lots of non-violent people listen to rap music which is a form of entertainment it would be impossible to remove all violence from entertainment without censoring half the films that are made. However people who listen to a muslim fundamentalist are much more likely to act on what they hear and probably don't treat it as just a bit of fun.

ReputationRep:
    I don't think rappers control any oil.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 29, 2009
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.