Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Okay so I've already picked my third year options but after receiving my exam results, I've decided I need to re-think. I struggle with time in exams so have decided essay based subjects may be better.

I originally picked:
    1. Equity & Trusts (requirement)
    2. Criminal Law (requirement)
    3. Company Law
    4. Conflict of Laws

However, I'vw decided I'm definitely going to change Company Law to Criminology as I think I'll enjoy it much more and it's all essays. But now I'm wondering whether to change my Conflict of Laws (25% essay, 75% exam) to Law and Political Theory (100% essay). This would mean I only have to do 2 exams.

Has anyone done these modules and can give me an insight?

I don't want to make the wrong decision as obviously, I'm doing these all year and want to enjoy them as much as possible. I desperately need to bring my average up (I'm exactly on 60% at the moment due to a very poor Land Law exam mark bringing my whole average down). I know it isn't that I don't have the knowledge for the exams, I'm just terrible at getting everything down in time in the exam.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

ReputationRep:
    You seem to be thinking of the right track, apart from that it's hard to advise. Are you doing an LLB?

ReputationRep:
    Yep, I'm doing an LLB

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lottie12)
    Okay so I've already picked my third year options but after receiving my exam results, I've decided I need to re-think. I struggle with time in exams so have decided essay based subjects may be better.

I originally picked:
    1. Equity & Trusts (requirement)
    2. Criminal Law (requirement)
    3. Company Law
    4. Conflict of Laws

However, I'vw decided I'm definitely going to change Company Law to Criminology as I think I'll enjoy it much more and it's all essays. But now I'm wondering whether to change my Conflict of Laws (25% essay, 75% exam) to Law and Political Theory (100% essay). This would mean I only have to do 2 exams.

Has anyone done these modules and can give me an insight?

I don't want to make the wrong decision as obviously, I'm doing these all year and want to enjoy them as much as possible. I desperately need to bring my average up (I'm exactly on 60% at the moment due to a very poor Land Law exam mark bringing my whole average down). I know it isn't that I don't have the knowledge for the exams, I'm just terrible at getting everything down in time in the exam.

Any advice would be much appreciated.
    What are you doing after Uni? Choose modules that relate to what you want to do.

Also you are very lucky as I have exams in all of my modules...practice makes perfect though!

Ps- are you thinking of doing the LPC/BVC? As that is all exam based!

ReputationRep:
    Definitely a good idea to drop Company if you have timing issues.

Conflicts is probably a good pick. LPT could also be a good pick IF you are interested in that kind of thing. If you aren't good at the jurisprudential side of things - i.e. you aren't good at expressing opinions and arguing one particular view over another - then it isn't a good pick. If you are, its a great pick - this is a personal choice only you can make.

Off-topic, but timing issues generally points to two things: either a lack of practice or a failure to make a plan and stick to it. The key to solving these issues is to scribble a brief plan before you start writing. e.g. for an essay the points you want to make, and for a problem the issues you need to discuss. e.g. if there are two principal crimes and you have 45minutes, limit yourself to 22minutes per crime. You need to be ABSOLUTELY BRUTAL in sticking to that - once the time for that bit is out, finish in one sentence and move straight on. With regards to practice, I suggest you do the previous 3years exam papers in timed conditions as your final revision a day or two before the exam.

ReputationRep:
    Charlotte!! I'm doing Criminology and Political Theory!!! Join meeeeeeeee! xx

ReputationRep:
    PS. you could sit in on some of my LPT lectures to help make up your mind before changing at the start of term? xx

ReputationRep:
    Personally, I found it was really a good choice of me to mix and match through academic as well as practical topics. Third year is stressful but not as much as second year but ultimately, you need to pick subjects you know you could do well in. For example, I took Advocacy and Advice & Negotiation because I knew it would be less pressure towards the end. Not only that, but I was pretty good as mooting already and could talk my way into things. Also, keep in mind, you don't want to do subjects you know you'll get bored of repeating again - for example, an LPC core module requirement is Company Law and if you're one to get bored of doing things again, you're picking the wrong subjects.

Good luck with your choices though.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.