Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Your fave makeup products! +rep :) watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bikipip)
    I need new makeup, a lot of the products I currently use are cheap tat from years ago when I knew nothing about makeup :ahee: so I'm going to have a clear out this weekend! :woo:

I have fair, combination skin, sometimes get the odd breakout so would like to avoid anything that is too oily/heavy or blocks pores. Ideally I want long-lasting as I hate having to re-apply in the day. Price is not an issue. :nah:

Please advise on your favorite:
    Mascara
    Eyeliner (pencil & liquid)
    Eyeshadow
    Foundation & Concealer
    Lipgloss/sticks
    Brushes etc.
    Any other cosmetics
    Also primers? And whether you think they are necessary?

Will +rep best replies. Will also post results/reviews of products I decide to buy. :yep:

Cheers.
    okai i have always gone on about Bare Minerals but that is the best foundation i can recommend im not going to go into a long thing about it coz i have so many times so check out reviews but i have bad reviews about it which are tottaly inaccurate so go to the department stores and try/see it for yourself. it comes with 2 shades, bronzer, veil(to stop you from looking shin and matte finish) and 3 brushes - and so good for your skin! it all contains max 5 ingredients each and they are all minerals

mascara - the purple rimmel one - love it doesnt look cloggy or anything makes your lashes look longer and separate
    Benefit bad gals mascaras good too makes your lashes really bold

eye liner - pencil - the GOSH twisty one stays on forever
    " " liquid - the rimmel ones good but the MAC gel liner is amazing stays on forever and easy to apply and its not fiddly like liquid liners - and you buy a diagonal eye liner brush to go with it

eye shadow - its better to buy in pallets coz its cheaper so you can get them from MAC urban decy o rbobbi brown or whatever but they are sort of expensive if you want basic smokey eye look sort of eye shadows then theres one from Benefit which is really good it comes with a tutorial different shades brushes etc
    and also urban decay they do really bright outstanding colours shiny etc

lipgloss - well if you want no colour but a nice shine and good for your lips you should buy Carmex from superdrug its amazing! and you can but anything on top of that urmm lipgloss i recently brought one form hollister and it lasts pretty long but its a bit sticky but you said you dont really want to have to reapply lipgloss tends to come off spesially if you talk alot or eat in between etc

lipstick - the mac lipsticks stay on forever!!

brushes - you can buy a full set from MAC which i think are amazing but in my opinion i dont think its what brand you get its how you use it(obviously not very cheap ones) coz if the make up is good its going to last long no your face regardless of what brush you use and im not talking rubbish becuase my ums a make up artist and only uses mac so iv tried hers plus other brushes too

Blusher - well if you go for my bare minerals recommendation then you should also buy the bare minerals blusher because the whole point of bare minerals is so you dont really put chemicals on your face so putting on blusher from another brand would totally kill its point and it would be useless to spend alot of money on the mineral foundation lol but if not then i do like the bobbi brown blushers they are quiet nice and mac etc

prime - definitely worth it it makes your skin smoother for when you apply make up so you put less o and it looks even etc

umm there's also this product its a MAC product but i forgot what its called and you basically spray it on to your face after youv done your make up so it stays on longer should be on the website

hope i was help full and sorry if there are spelling mistakes lol

oh n i just remembered you can buy from mac an eye primer whch you put on before eye shadow - that it toooootaly worth it it!!! you will actually be able to tell the difference with and without and also - i works reeeally well as a concealor loooolll two in one

ReputationRep:
    Mascara: MaxFactor Masterpiece Max. I actually bought a couple of L'Oreal ones to try out because I was curious, and I'm regretting it now because I have to use them up instead of buy more MaxFactor!

Eyeliner (pencil & liquid): Pencil: No7, it's amazing - glides on really well and lasts forever.
    Liquid: Rimmel. The only one I've tried, but it has a nice chunky brush which makes life so much easier

Eyeshadow: Cheap: 17 or BarryM. Good colours, blend well enough. Expensive: Urban Decay. Gorgeous colours and blends really well.

Foundation & Concealer: MAC StudioFix Powder because it's the palest I can get and closest to my skintone as well. It's not amazing as far as staying on, depends on what you're doing (touch your face at your peril), but looks flawless especially on photos.

Lipgloss/sticks: I don't use lipgloss that much so I just get it from 17. Nice colours, easy to use, job's a good 'un.

Brushes etc.: I have a kabuki brush and a MAC powder brush for foundation (go expensive for base brushes so you get a good finish), and then just use Boots ones for eyeshadow cos they're cheap and work well enough for what I do.

Any other cosmetics: Blusher for emphasising cheekbones.

Also primers? And whether you think they are necessary?: I don't use primers per se. I use an Olay moisturiser underneath foundation (gives a better finish), and always use a really pale eyeshadow (more or less same colour as my foundation) on my eyelids even if I'm not using any other eyeshadow. Just evens out veins and stuff if I apply eyeliner. If I want my eyeshadow to pop, then I'll use a MAC shadestick as a base (sharkskin, which is dark if I'm going with darks/brights, and a beigey one if I'm using golds/neutrals) - really really works.

ReputationRep:
    I use Bella Pierre mineral make up. It's amazing! Just started using it. I am a shiny person so I used to have to poweder quite often but now I don't have to =D quite pricey though...£30 a pot. You can get them to mix several different colours in one pot to get your exact colour. I use Laura Mercier oil free primer, it's quite good I guess though I haven't used any others to compare it with.

ReputationRep:
    Mascara: bourjois!
    Eyeliner (pencil & liquid): no 7 are amazing, as are benefit.
    Eyeshadow: barry m! lasts forever and they have the most gorgeous colours.
    Foundation & Concealer: max factor pan stick. I swear by it. Same with body shop face base.
    Lipgloss/sticks: avon. gorgeous. and nivea.
    Brushes etc.: body shop. if you want good brushes definately body shop.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Oh-WOW)
    For foundation, Estee Lauder Double Wear is great. The best i have used in a long time. Theres a light version which is just as good but not as heavy. I put it on when I get up at 7 in the morning and its still there when I wash my face at night. Even without reapplying it. It's expensive but really worth it. and a bottle lasts ages as you only need a little bit and as it lasts all day, no need to use more throughout the day. I use mac studio stick concealer at the minute.

For eyeshadows and eyeliners, it has to be urban decay. They last ages, go on easy and the colours are beautiful. Mac are also really good. I also bought a B never 2 busy 2 b beautiful eyeshadow in London and i have to say I was really impressed. Except you don't get very much of it.

My fav mascaras are Rimmel (really i usually hate their stuff) Sexy Curves or Clinque High Impact Curling mascara. I also recommend some good eyelash curlers. Makes the effect last so much longer.

Ruby and Mille brushes are good. Really soft.

I have experimented with primers but honestly don't see much difference. I do love the urban decay eyeshadow potion primer for eyes but otherwise i just use a good moisturiser under make up. There is a clarins one that wasn't bad.

For lipstick, if you prefer it, rimmel moisture renew is good. Lipgloss, my favourite is Benefit. or the collection 2000 love your lips one is actually really good and pretty cheap.

I also use Benefit high beam for some highlighting and maybelline dream mousse blush. Finish it all of with Mac powder.
    i agree. and anything from benefit, it sure is expensiv-ish but their blushers/other face powders last yonks and all their make-up is good quality, even accessories. ive had their make up brushes for years and never lost a single hair from them, so imagine how good their make-up is

when it comes to mascara i use a cheap(normal non water-proof black) collection 2000 one, yep thats right, because its supprisingly silky and a 'thin' liquid so doesnt clump and because their only about £3-4 i can throw them regularly away (to avoid eye/lash infections) and get another one

i can honestly say ive spent loads on expensive mascara brands and all have gone clumpy within a short space of time so it seems a bad choice for me to fork out when this supprisingly cheap brand one is excellent

ReputationRep:

Mascara: Bourgeois Eyeliner effect, i like the brush and it lasts all day.
    Eyeliner (pencil & liquid): I only use pencil, i have a few Urban Decay colours which are gorgeously bright.
    Eyeshadow: Bourgeois or Barry M
    Foundation & Concealer: Clinique Cream Foundations are lovely.
    Brushes etc: I got a nice set from John Lewis, B never too Busy to be Beautiful do awesome looking jewelled ones but i can't afford them
    Thats what i use

ReputationRep:
    firstly just wanna say im indian so foundation may not be the best for you skin colour but newho.

Mascara - http://www.rimmellondon.com/UK/produ...ct.aspx?id=333

Eyeliner (pencil & liquid) - Pencil - http://www.superdrug.com/invt/512111
    Liquid - http://www.rimmellondon.com/UK/produ...uct.aspx?id=99

Eyeshadow - i dont wear it much but i use this one mainly
    http://www.benefitcosmetics.co.uk/gp...1&bcBrand=core

Foundation & Concealer - dont use concealer but my foundation - http://www.boots.com/webapp/wcs/stor...atalogId=11051

Lipgloss/sticks - http://www.asos.com/Bourjois/Bourjoi...-1&clr=Menthol

Brushes etc. - foundation brush - cheapy one frm bodycare. eyeshadow brush - http://www.shopwiki.co.uk/_Ruby+%26+...ye+Liner+Brush mynes like this but with a slant and i use it for my benefit (cream) eyeshadow only.
    bronzer brush - some cheapo one from bodycare

Any other cosmetics:
    Tinted Moisturizer - http://www.benefitcosmetics.com/gp/p...8&bcBrand=core

Pressed Powder - http://www.boots.com/webapp/wcs/stor...roductId=15524

Bronzer - AVON - arabian glow Shimmering Bronze (cant find any pics on net sorry)

2nd mascara - http://www.avon.com/1/1/3166-supershock-mascara.html

Back up lipgloss - http://www.magicmakeup.co.uk/1452/Sa...ation-Extreme/

Eyebrow Pencil - http://www.boots.com/webapp/wcs/stor...atalogId=11051

ive just bought a new foundation primer by GOSH - http://www.superdrug.com/invt/483176 i got the anti wrinkle one tho lol which is a couple of quid expensiver its quite nice actually. better then the benefit one. only use it for like clubbing and dates not like everyday cuz its too expensive for tht.

p.s - it took me like an hour to do tht :| cuz im on the fne lol and its made me realise how much i spend on make up :| lo0l

p.p.s - i use lots of other stuff but this is like th basic.

ReputationRep:
    Revlon. Please don't rep me though, I don't need it :p:

I just like offering advice on here, fun.

ReputationRep:
    bobby brown eyeliner gel is amazing. as black as you can get and stays put.

ReputationRep:
    Eyeliner - GOSH at Superdrug's pencil eyeliners are really good, and Barry M has some really good ones in funky colours.

I think Primers are totally unnecessary - I had Benefit's and it was just like a tinted pink primer and once you rub it into your skin it just kinda disappears - I think it was just another excuse for an expensive product that people think will do something fantastic.

MeMeMe at Superdrug do some good liquid highlighters and cheek/lip tint, exactly the same as the Benefit ones. The highlighters are fab, they make your face look really bright and glowing, love them!

ReputationRep:
    If you're fair of skin try powdered eyeliner - I swear by it! You can blend it and apply it really close to lashes. It's quicker to use than stick eyeliner, lasts all day and doesn't give a really harsh look which stick eyeliner can give on fair, young skin. I would recommend Bedhead by TIGI cyberoptics and an Estée Lauder eyeliner brush - they're just about to bring out a new one btw x

ReputationRep:
    Also..Clarins foundation - they do oil free ones which are non comodegenic so they don't clog pores or cause outbreaks, I love it!

ReputationRep:
    Rimmel Eye pencils are really good for eyeliners, I've used them loads and they last forever. Anything by Boots (Natural Collection) is brilliant if you have skin flare-ups, but anything similar will do.

ReputationRep:
    Please advise on your favorite:
    Mascara
    Eyeliner (pencil & liquid)
    Eyeshadow
    Foundation & Concealer
    Lipgloss/sticks
    Brushes etc.
    Any other cosmetics
    Mascara
    - Estee Lauder Lash XL in black, which I wear for nights out etc.
    - Benefit Bad Gal Mascara in Plum, which if you've got blue/green eyes brings out the colour (plus people don't really notice that it's not black)

Eyeliner
    - Estee Lauder Softsmudge in black, goes on really easily.
    - Bourjois Liner Feutre (felt-tip), gives good precision but smudges if you're not careful

Eyeshadow
    - Clarins Palette Quatuor (I use So Sublime)

Foundation & Concealer
    - Estee Lauder Double Wear (liquid & powder compact), has the best shade for pale skin which I've ever come across (Shell)
    - Estee Lauder Disappear Smoothing Creme Concealer

Lipstick & Balm
    - Lush Honey Trap lip balm, smells lovely
    - Chanel Rouge Allure lipstick, stays on well
    - MAC Matte lipstick, has some good shades

Brushes
    - In my opinion, Mac do the best brushes :yes:

Primers
    - I don't use a primer, but Benefit High Beam highlighter is good for a glow

x

ReputationRep:
    mac studio fix - ideal for everyday use and it feels really light
    mascara - diorshow..
    brushes - mac

ReputationRep:
    Lancome Hypnose is amazing. High street brands are worth investigating but it takes a while to find one that works for you.

Max factor Glide and define eyeliner.. cos its easy having it as a pen applicator and doesnt dry up.

Mac Eyeshadow or for cheap try anything and see if you like it. Really depends if you like quads, trios or individual colours.

Mac foundation, body shop, revlon. Try somewhere like Chanel,Dior,Clinique, Prescriptives if you dont mind splashing out.

Again.. Mac or Body shop for brushes but Boots do a variety of ranges.. a new one that looks quite good is Eco-tools. if you go to Superdrug as well.. then definatly check out GOSH, they're usually on 3 for 2 and the brushes are amazing

Liggloss - Depends on your preference. Wand or tube. Sticky or water based. Tints are quite good. Bourjois or Benetint?

I'd love to have your free reign. I'll take you shopping.. yes

Also.. if you have tired eyes in the morning. Garnier Caffeine Eye roll on. Mazing.
    Need highlighter? Try benefit for moon bean and high beam.. but i dont actually have either. Have heard good things though

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by smilee172)
    Eyeliner - GOSH at Superdrug's pencil eyeliners are really good, and Barry M has some really good ones in funky colours.

I think Primers are totally unnecessary - I had Benefit's and it was just like a tinted pink primer and once you rub it into your skin it just kinda disappears - I think it was just another excuse for an expensive product that people think will do something fantastic.

MeMeMe at Superdrug do some good liquid highlighters and cheek/lip tint, exactly the same as the Benefit ones. The highlighters are fab, they make your face look really bright and glowing, love them!
    I loved the primer.. but it was a bit unnecessay and I cant really say it made any difference Did wake up my face though

I forgot about Mememe. I agree about the highlighter. They do a copy of Posie Tint too.

ReputationRep:
    Mascara - Collection 2000. It comes out nicely and last ages on the eyes and in the tube. I've used mine nearly every day for 2 years and it's still not finished.

Eyeliner - Barry M anything. Dead cheap and you can get some amazing colours. If you're willing to splash out a bit then go for Urban Decay.

Eyeshadow - Barry M again. For the same reasons above.

Foundation & Concealer - I use the Jemma Kidd foundation as I have really pale skin. Its a bit pricey but its dead good. Benefit are pretty good for foundation but be wary of orangeness with it. For concealer, go for Collection 2000 if you're after something cheap or Touche Eclat if you're going to go the whole hog.

Lipgloss/sticks - Lip Finity. Lasts for 24 hours and does not budge unless you rub it off with a flannel and soap. It is definitely the best lipstick that I've ever used. It'll be confiscated if you have it in your hand luggage at the airport. My mum got hers confiscated and nearly slapped one of the security guards!!

Brushes - MAC or Body Shop

Any other cosmetics - Lip and cheek stain from Benefit. I don't like using powdered blusher so I use this instead. Gives you a very nice natural colour. Its not brilliant on your lips though as it goes after you put anything to them

ReputationRep:
    Boots extreme lash (in the bronze tube) is an amazing mascara, i loveee it!

http://www.boots.com/webapp/wcs/stor...oductId=641439

ReputationRep:
    Where does everyone get the MAC makeup from?

Poll
Do I go to The Streets tomorrow night?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.