Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi... I'm Stefan and desperately need list of books for first year of medicine at Oxford...
    Anyone who finished or started 1st year, please, HELP!!!

ReputationRep:
    might have been better for you to post this in the oxford forum?

ReputationRep:
    Oxford has a very big library... *hint*

ReputationRep:
    http://medsoc.co.uk/?p=271

Google, 30 seconds.

ReputationRep:
    eager aren't we.

ReputationRep:
    Desperatly need?! I thought term didn't start for another two months... :s:

ReputationRep:
    You don't need to buy any textbook for Oxford med, preclinical at least ... the Radcliffe Science Library (RSL) and your college library should be more than adequately stocked (and if not, your college library will probably buy in any book you need). The medics in the year above you at college may take you to the RSL in Freshers' Week and show you which books they found most helpful (but shush, don't want all the first years to go at once or my great-grand kids will miss out on the shiny newest copies of everything!)

If you want to buy a book, try the Anatomy Colouring Book (or the Physiology one).

ReputationRep:
    Thanks, Stoney 12345...
    In fact, I'm not going to study medicine at Oxford, but I need books that are used there for other reasons... I want to compare programs and textbooks from my university with Oxford ones, world's second best univ, as I read somewhere...

ReputationRep:
    But I'm still asking you for books you have used in anatomy, embryology, hystology... something from first year...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LordStephanos)
    But I'm still asking you for books you have used in anatomy, embryology, hystology... something from first year...
    Oxford :confused:

ReputationRep:
    well, maybe the subject is not called exactly as I have mentioned, but you surely catched the point...
    OK, 1st year...

ReputationRep:
    In fact, I'm not going to study medicine at Oxford, but I need books that are used there for other reasons... I want to compare programs and textbooks from my university with Oxford ones, world's second best univ, as I read somewhere...
    Why?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fatal)
    eager aren't we.
    Says the 2nd year medic :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Madprof)
    Why?
    curiosity

ReputationRep:
    It's pointless, as your likely to do completely different courses, so what's useful for one will probably be pointless to the other.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Degausser)
    Says the 2nd year medic :p:
    I am dammit!

ReputationRep:
    still looking for titles

ReputationRep:
    still looking for titles
    Everyone uses different books, tis pointless. A few of the posters on here are at the same medical schools, if you asked them they would all come up with a slighly different selection. At undergrad level, particularly in hot research topics, many of the finer/finest details are very very good guesses with more like an electron cloud of evidence pointed in various directions, its not uncommon to find small discrepancies in various textbooks, although the larger picture will be exactly the same.

So, basically any physiology text, any biochemistry text etc etc could be used, it comes down to how you learn personally and what writing style you prefer.

I wouldn't buy any if I were you (prefresher?) having books on the shelf isn't the same as reading them, if it is your summer before freshers, go out, have fun, read whatever you like. There is no point comparing 'your' medical school to any other, you won't know any different, and medical school being the maelstrom of activity that it should be, will give you more than enough work by far to keep you academically occupied. Some would argue, and I would agree, that the academics although are important, are not the 'hardest' bits of medical school.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.