Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Reform Vote - HoC seat MkII Watch

• View Poll Results:
    0%

ReputationRep:
    With there being 6 votes for, 2 against and 6 saying the concept needs more work, I don't quite feel comfortable forcing it through but I think that this result shows a clear desire for this to happen. So I'd like to put it to another vote

The HoC will send one representative into the MUN.

The HoC representative will represent the views of the HoC in all debates and Summits where a HoC view can be found.
    If the HoC has no position on a matter or does not wish to have a position on a matter then they will represent a general UK view.

The HoC Rep will act as a non-perm SC member.

The Secretary General will be able to veto any candidate the HoC puts forward for the role in the interests of the MUN.
    This shall be reviewed when the UK seat next becomes open or the HoC holds an election.
    The HoC rep will be subject to VoNCs
    The SG and Speaker can cancel the arrangement at any time by mutual agreement.

Usually the process in the HoC would be very quick – the rep could be the Foreign Minister of the ruling Party, or consult quickly with that MP or the PM. It’s just in the current climate that there’s no clear ruling party and things may have to be done by Motion or EDM or the like.

If you’re concerned with the candidates put forward, remember that the Speaker would never dishonour the HoC by putting forward an unsuitable candidate *cough*Don_Scott*cough* and the Secretary General will have the power of veto.

If you’re concerned with us making up a new country, remember, this is solely temporary. Also, we have nowhere near the full complement of 192 nations and several UNOs so it isn’t of utmost important if one is invented.

If you are concerned with the fact that they’d be on the SC, if I’m blatantly honest, a single Non-perm vote rarely swings a debate in the MUN, and if there’s a risk of that happening, surely that makes it more interesting?
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    I would also like the power of veto, though I dont think the HoC would like that. Anyway, I if I thought a candidate unsuitable I would talk with the SG and it could be voto'd at this end if they wished.

ReputationRep:
    I would've added that but I was worried it might infringe on the HoC, better its decided on that side of things. I'd also ask you (or any SG and Speaker) their opinion and if you don't think they're suitable...auf wiedersehen.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    having thought of it more, I think its better this way. It has nothing to do with the role of speaker really. All we could do is give our opinions to you based on what we have seen really.

ReputationRep:
    I'm sure any SG would trust that

ReputationRep:
    I've abstained from this :ninja:
    It's not that I'm not in support of this, I'm just concerned (still) that if the HoC eventually elects the UK rep and starts towing the HoC 'country' line we could lose the UK view in debates where the HoC and RL UK views differ.

In response to the temp HoC seat having a veto - to be brutally honest that would have swung my vote to a No.

ReputationRep:
    Excellent.

ReputationRep:
    I think that the HoC should not be automatically placed in the SC. If it's suppose to be like another country, then it should be in the GA and work it way up to the SC.

ReputationRep:
    I'm genuinely not sure how I feel about this... Maybe it's because I haven't seen much action from the UK rep or visted the HoC so i don't know how it would affect the state of play from what it is just now, I'll follow this discussion for a while before voting..

ReputationRep:
    The HoC should definatley not be allowed a veto. I do not see why they should be allowed?..the UK rep has one, we need to keep it as realistic as possible..

ReputationRep:
    I'm going to have to ask, where the hell has this thought of the HoC seat having a veto come from? They're primarily on the SC to see if the dynamic would work and to see if, eventually, they could take control of the UK seat. Which would be another vote.

MUN debates will always be different to RL debates, it's a model, never precise. Lack of full representation, certain key members, and the like, would always provide variables in our representation of a debate.
    I recall orielhistorian once repped as Australia. He provided a slightly less condemnatory view of some terrorist organization than expected, and another rep helpfully pointed out that Australia had this organization on a list of prohibited terrorist groups. But orielhistorian had researched the national government of Australia as well, which had just changed hands from Howard's Liberal/National to Rudd's Labour and had changed stances. National governments will always affect international relations and this is just a way of representing that in the UK seat. It, to my mind, adds a level of realism and depth, rather than removes it.
    Besides, I had mentioned in the previous thread that they could always DR the HoC and RL UK. It'd need work, but it's an idea.

ReputationRep:
    Unfortunately I've had to abstain as i'm just not sure on this one

ReputationRep:
    I wonder what the UK rep thinks about this? Whoever it is, if he/she is fine with it, then i'll support it

ReputationRep:
    It's Noémie
    She seemed to support it, offered to resign if it passes but I won't accept her resignation.

ReputationRep:
    Right, if Noémie supports it, then I will support it.
    However Sec.Gen, if she wants to resign over the inclusion of a HoC rep (if it passes through) then what will you do?

(Original post by Mrgd291190)
    I'm going to have to ask, where the hell has this thought of the HoC seat having a veto come from? They're primarily on the SC to see if the dynamic would work and to see if, eventually, they could take control of the UK seat. Which would be another vote.
    Well the downside I see there is that, as Student pointed out, the HoC is totally different to the RL Government and so it wouldn't be as real-to-life as we currently like to think our MUN is. Although I can also see it being a plus side as our MUN is just that, a model.

My concerns have been dealt with, I think, so I'll be happy to vote this through.

ReputationRep:
    Glad you're happy with it Biggles
    No, it wouldn't be real to life, I'll concede but it might be more realistic

Jakemittle - Well, you'd have to ask her but I think she generally did. You could quote her and ask if you'd like.
    If she did offer her resignation, I'd obviously try and talk her out of it. She was just saying she'd resign in order for the scheme to start immediately, not in protest. But I don't want the HoC to take the UK seat immediately, I'd rather a trial period with them working in parallel. So I'd try and talk her out of it. If I couldn't, then I'd talk it over with the Speaker and the MUN, and either start the process early or have an election for an interim UK rep.

ReputationRep:
    The problem is that if it passes here, it won't pass in the HOC on the basis that the left will want someone from their side and the right from theirs.

ReputationRep:
    Already passed the Hoc I think

It's a bit tough right now but normally there'd be a proper government, so the PM could decide
    (for those who aren't aware of HoC matters, the left has 50% and the right has 50% so there's no proper government)
    or it could, as it probably would be now, be done by EDM and Motions

ReputationRep:
    I wont vote on this, given that i have only just joined the MUN, but generally, i think the idea is a good one. However, i think the main difficulties will be from the HoC end, with the changing politics within it, and the fact that it wont neccessarily represent RL UK opinion within the UN, as the governance of the TSR HoC and the RL HoC will be different (as well as the regular elections within the TSR HoC). Is this something that the MUN as a whole would be willing to accept, or would it be detrimental to the MUN?

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 1, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.