Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Spoon shaped nails? (Iron deficiency concerns) Watch

ReputationRep:
    Ok, so basically I've been feeling pretty rubbish for a few weeks, feeling really tired all the time despite getting enough sleep usually, and my appetite seems to have lessened. I was speaking to my family about it and they said that I might have an iron deficiency, which seems quite possible as I have a vegetarian diet so get no iron from meat, don't really eat many pulses and skip breakfast quite a lot.

Anyway, I was looking at symptoms of iron deficiency and anaemia (I'm also quite confused as to the difference there, are all iron deficiencies anaemia or is that a specific deficiency? :confused:) and one of the things I saw was 'spoon shaped nails' but I have absolutely no idea what this means. I don't suppose anybody could enlighten me? Thank you

ReputationRep:
    http://lmgtfy.com/?q=spoon+shaped+nails

ReputationRep:
    Here's an example of spoon shaped nails

http://blog.roodo.com/Douch/4e8f5f5c.jpg

I think that picture is of an extreme case of anaemia. Not sure of the difference, and I thought that all anaemias were iron deficiency lol. I think you can tell by pulling your lower lid down and looking at the flesh below your eyeball. If it's nice and red then that's good, but if it's pale, then it's likely to signal anaemia.

You can get a simple blood test from your GP, who will probably prescribe you iron tablets if you have it. Also, eating lots of green leafy veg (like brocolli, savoy cabbage) is meant to be full of iron.

ReputationRep:
    It is a symptom of anaemia.

With regards to the difference between iron deficiency and anaemia - I'm not sure exactly but the doctor told me that anaemia's to do with the balance of things (inc. iron) in the blood but iron deficiency is just a lack of iron. (I know this because I'm slightly anaemic and my sister has severe iron deficiency but is apparently not anaemic - tbh I didn't really take in most of what the doctor said but I hope this helps. We are also both veggies btw ).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by katieclick)
    http://lmgtfy.com/?q=spoon+shaped+nails
    I did Google Images it, but found it difficult to tell from the pictures

(Original post by gez_09*)
    Here's an example of spoon shaped nails

http://blog.roodo.com/Douch/4e8f5f5c.jpg

I think that picture is of an extreme case of anaemia. Not sure of the difference, and I thought that all anaemias were iron deficiency lol. I think you can tell by pulling your lower lid down and looking at the flesh below your eyeball. If it's nice and red then that's good, but if it's pale, then it's likely to signal anaemia.

You can get a simple blood test from your GP, who will probably prescribe you iron tablets if you have it. Also, eating lots of green leafy veg (like brocolli, savoy cabbage) is meant to be full of iron.

Oh, ok, so it means they go upwards then? I don't think I have that then, but I just read that it can cause heart palpitations which I definitely have, so it's just seeming more and more likely.

Hmm, I just did that eyeball thing, I'm not sure what colour they're supposed to be but they're a reddy pink, definitely not red though :/

I think I'm going to see my GP at some point this week, it's just a bit of an effort because I have to get one of my parents to drive me there :/

Anyway, thank you for your help

(Original post by *Hannah)
    It is a symptom of anaemia.

With regards to the difference between iron deficiency and anaemia - I'm not sure exactly but the doctor told me that anaemia's to do with the balance of things (inc. iron) in the blood but iron deficiency is just a lack of iron. (I know this because I'm slightly anaemic and my sister has severe iron deficiency but is apparently not anaemic - tbh I didn't really take in most of what the doctor said but I hope this helps. We are also both veggies btw ).
    Oh ok, thank you
    Tbh now I think I'm just going to go see my GP and get a definite answer.

ReputationRep:
    That's a really extreme case, if you find you get loads and loads of dirt under your nails then you probably have them.

I went to the doc a while back about anaemia and he asked when I last cleaned my nails and I said the day before and he was like "yeh you've got those spoon shaped nails, don't lift up enough to really notice but they lift up a bit.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pooktuncks)
    You could also have mono-- thats something else to check out (especially if you've had a sore throat).
    Oh, I haven't really had a sore throat, but I'll read up on that a bit too, thank you

(Original post by *Sparkle*)
    That's a really extreme case, if you find you get loads and loads of dirt under your nails then you probably have them.

I went to the doc a while back about anaemia and he asked when I last cleaned my nails and I said the day before and he was like "yeh you've got those spoon shaped nails, don't lift up enough to really notice but they lift up a bit.
    Oh, maybe then, I don't know exactly what normal nails are supposed to be like regarding that, but my nails seem to get fairly dirty underneath them, so it's possible. Thank you

ReputationRep:
    this may be useful, even if you don't have anemia, you may want to try to include some of these in your diet if you haven't already:
    spinach
    pumpkin seeds
    kale
    broccoli
    *lentils* (spinach kale and lentil soup would be good!)
    figs
    dates

And whilst eating these things eat an orange or two.

Those (especially lentils) are foods which are great for you and high in iron, apart from the oranges, they'll help you to absorb the iron.

Edit: and if you want to pm me about making your veggie diet better/turning vegan feel free to .

ReputationRep:
    Oh wow, thank you, I'll give those a go and see if I can stomach any of them (I'm not really very good with food...) but thank you anyway

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by obsessivex)
    Oh wow, thank you, I'll give those a go and see if I can stomach any of them (I'm not really very good with food...) but thank you anyway
    Is the problem perhaps then that you're not eating enough? and therefore not getting enough of many things?

There are plenty of veggies who are half in there for the animal rights stuff and half because the foods are less calorific...
    ...just throwing that out there.

And you're more than welcome.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by there's too much love)
    Is the problem perhaps then that you're not eating enough? and therefore not getting enough of many things?

There are plenty of veggies who are half in there for the animal rights stuff and half because the foods are less calorific...
    ...just throwing that out there.

And you're more than welcome.
    Well, that's not why I became vegetarian, I started when I was 11 and didn't really care about things like that. However, I suppose I do have issues with food, and I am underweight, friends do always tell me that I'm not eating enough, but now it's really only because I feel full sooner, not because I want to not eat...

I'm probably lacking in other things as well. Apparently my diet has almost no protein in it. The only thing I'm sure I'm getting enough of is calcium.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by obsessivex)
    Well, that's not why I became vegetarian, I started when I was 11 and didn't really care about things like that. However, I suppose I do have issues with food, and I am underweight, friends do always tell me that I'm not eating enough, but now it's really only because I feel full sooner, not because I want to not eat...

I'm probably lacking in other things as well. Apparently my diet has almost no protein in it. The only thing I'm sure I'm getting enough of is calcium.

do me a favour and PM me what you generally eat?

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 29, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.