The Student Room Group
Reply 1
Advantage: Informs parents as they may not have the will/time/money to care for a child with Down's syndrome.

Negative: A parent may decide to have an abortion after finding out their child would have Down's syndrome. Is it ethical to have an abortion purely because the child will have Down's syndrome? Maybe the child will have a fulfilling life.

Lol that's incredibly simplistic but it's just what I thought off the top of my head. :p:
Reply 2
advantages: the parents may not have the resources and funds to pay for a disabled child, and many deformed/disabled children are abandoned because they weren't what their parents expected so it saves a child being abandoned. it saves money (ok i know thats a bitchy point). and it would be mean to bring a child into the world who'll never catch up with their peers and will never be "normal".

disadvantages: parents might abort the child?
Reply 3
Advantages:

The financial cost of a down's syndrome child can be a strain on a low income family.
Some parents are not capable of raising a child with a disability.
The parents have the option to put a child up for adoption should results denote down's syndrome. (See disadvantages).
It could be argued it is better for the child not to live at all than to have a miserable life being raised by a family that isn't capable or various children's/foster homes that don't offer much love.

Disadvantages:

An abortion might be made simply because of the disability when there is nothing to make certain that the child won't have a fulfilling life.
The possibility of adoption may damage the child even more if he/she grows up in various foster homes without parents who want to adopt a down's syndrome child.
Reply 4
Thank you everyone for the help. :biggrin:

Latest