Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

What to do about insomnia? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I guess the title says it all. I want to sleep, I'm tired, my body feels tired, but as much as I toss and turn, I just can't sleep. This is a regular occurence. I've tried sleeping pills but they make my head woozy, so I don't really like using them. Any other ideas? :rant: :sad:

ReputationRep:
    Do you lie in in the mornings?

Get up really early, regardless of what time you got to sleep, then try holding out all day and going to bed early in the evening

ReputationRep:
    hmmm... I have a similar problem
    I find taking a warm bath and reading when i go to bed - literally til i can't keep my eyes open generally helps me sleep!
    Also sleeping pills suck lol i was prescribed them when i really could NOT sleep at all and they made me woozy/drowsy 24/7!!
    Its best to help urself, get into a routine etc instead of using pills

dunno if this helps??

but i hopes u solve this soon...tis annoying when u cant sleep!!
    x

ReputationRep:
    Try staying up for a whole day and night and then going to bed at an acceptable hour, this will hopefully reset your cycle, you have to make sure you carry on the routine after however. It is so easy to slip into bad sleeping patterns.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks, I'll go get in the bath now!

ReputationRep:
    Hvae a nice relaxing bath, nice low chilled music, get someone to give you a massage, and have a few drinks =]

ReputationRep:
    Sleeping pills are a godsend I can't function without them. They did make me drowsy a lot when I first started taking them, but after 1-2 weeks I guess my body just settled and now it's fine.

If not, drink hot milk before you go to bed. It has something in it, I want to say serotonin but that could be wrong, which makes you drowsy. Or you could just get really drunk, pass out, and reset your circadian rhythm ;=) (am I kidding? That actually sounds like a good idea...)

ReputationRep:
    Baths, alcohol, sleeping pills, soothing music, don't eat too late, try and exercise a lot...

Actually take a look at this: http://www.getridofthings.com/get-rid-of-insomnia.htm

I have had some terrible experiences with insomnia. I hope you get rid of it soon

ReputationRep:
    Embrace the insomnia and we can party til the early hours, my current sleep cycle is go to bed at 5am wake up at 9am :P

ReputationRep:
    exercise, exercise and more exercise till you cant move no more. settles your body and mind.

ReputationRep:
    I heard sleeping in patterns of four hours is better than 6, for example 4 hours is better than 5/6 hours and 8 better than 9/10 - is this actually true? (A tad off topic, apologies)..

ReputationRep:
    EMBRACE IT! Join us in the fellowship of the darkness I have not slept in over 24 hours, the night before that I only slept for around 5, the night before that I didn't sleep at all, the night before that I believe a crashed out for half the day because I didn't go to sleep till 8am...

During the holidays my sleep pattern pretty much dies, I think i've probably had the equivalent of 2 and a half nights' sleep over the past week...

Although I'm kinda weird... the less sleep I get the more hyperactive I become :yes: so in a way it's a good thing because I'm more fun when I'm out with mates :woo:

ReputationRep:
    If I knew the answer I wouldn't be here replying.

ReputationRep:
    Perhaps your mentally tired but not physically - or maybe vice versa.

What you should do is wake up early tomorrow, then during the day take part in some physical activities. Then half an hour before you go to bed, make sure you dont eat, and do some like exercise to wear you down. This works for me.

Or you can pull out the ultimate method that i sometimes resort to in emergency situations......read a school textbook

ReputationRep:
    Think I have it as well, just got used to it now though really, rarely get to sleep before 3ish unless I've had a long day etc. Have tried most things that people reccommend, don't work for me, but..
    Turn off everything electrical in the room to reduce noise levels, don't eat for a couple of hours before sleep, and I guess exercise as well, just not straight before bed. Maybe go to the doctors and see if there are any different pills? Know they've worked for friends.

Or stock up on relentless for the morning

ReputationRep:
    Don't go on the computer right up until you go to bed, do something less stimulating for an hour or half hour before like read a book or something.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sabertooth)
    Don't go on the computer right up until you go to bed, do something less stimulating for an hour or half hour before like read a book or something.
    lol my laptop is why im still awake

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Beige_Angel)
    EMBRACE IT! Join us in the fellowship of the darkness I have not slept in over 24 hours, the night before that I only slept for around 5, the night before that I didn't sleep at all, the night before that I believe a crashed out for half the day because I didn't go to sleep till 8am...

During the holidays my sleep pattern pretty much dies, I think i've probably had the equivalent of 2 and a half nights' sleep over the past week...

Although I'm kinda weird... the less sleep I get the more hyperactive I become :yes: so in a way it's a good thing because I'm more fun when I'm out with mates :woo:
    Is your water supply filtered through nescafe? :curious:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hana_87)
    I heard sleeping in patterns of four hours is better than 6, for example 4 hours is better than 5/6 hours and 8 better than 9/10 - is this actually true? (A tad off topic, apologies)..
    Not really. Your sleep pattern is a circadian rhythmn of around 90 minutes. So you'd want to sleep in groups of 1.5 hours, in order to complete all stages of your cycle. Therefore you're looking at 4.5, 6, 7.5 or 9 hours of sleep being the best

ReputationRep:
    Like others said, embrace it. I currently go to bed at 6am, and wake up at 11am. And I'm doing okay. A couple of weekends ago I didn't sleep for 40 hours.
    As long as you get to work etc. I'm sure you'll be fine!

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 29, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.