Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi all!

I'm in the midst of clearing and cannot decide which is better, i've heard warwick is higher ranked in general, but according to http://extras.timesonline.co.uk/tol_...php?AC_sub=Law

Birmingham is 7th and warwick 22nd.

According to the guardian, however, Warwick is 7th and Birmingham 8th.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/education/...sity-guide-law

Can anyone please help me clarify? (btw, the course i plan to attend is law)

Also, any information on the cities which would make one lean in either direction is appreciated

ReputationRep:
    Have you visited either?

From the open days I went to - both were good, preferred Birmingham overall. They're both campus unis, but Birmingham is basically in the city, whereas Warwick is 20 mins away from Coventry and Leamington Spa (not a match for Birmingham). Both have nice campuses... Depends on the course you wanna do?

ReputationRep:
    Imo Warwick if you're a prestige whore but the campus is truly awful! The people are nice though. Albeit, many are international.

If you need any answers to any queries about Brum let me know.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FluffyLion)
    Depends on the course you wanna do?
    Look at the links.. those tables are specific to law.

OP have you visited both? Don't base your opinion purely on the league tables - both are well respected universities.

ReputationRep:
    having visited both, i'd go for warwick every time. i hated birmingham unfortunately, thought it was horrid, but loved warwick and thought it was amazing. personal choice though, where do you think you'd be happiest? don't just go on league tables, go on which you'd see yourself perform better at.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by taheki)
    My apologies - but it doesn't matter to me about the course, it matters to OP and I was flagging this up, that they need to take note of the different courses offered, having offered my own opinion on the other aspects of such.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vmarcher)
    Hi all!

I'm in the midst of clearing and cannot decide which is better, i've heard warwick is higher ranked in general, but according to http://extras.timesonline.co.uk/tol_...php?AC_sub=Law

Birmingham is 7th and warwick 22nd.

According to the guardian, however, Warwick is 7th and Birmingham 8th.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/education/...sity-guide-law

Can anyone please help me clarify?

Also, any information on the cities which would make one lean in either direction is appreciated
    You can't be in the middle of Clearing because it hasn't begun yet!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by e-lover)
    Warwick if you're a prestige whore but the campus is truly awful! The people are nice though. Albeit, many are international.

If you need any answers to any queries about Brum let me know.
    Yeah just remember to say that's your opinion and don't state it as fact because I for one and a lot of others think it's actually quite amazing. Sorry to sound a bit rude :o:

OP if you want to work and prestige is important to you then go for Warwick, if you want a mixture of social, work, nightlife etc then go for Birmingham. Both Look amazing in my opinion :yep:

ReputationRep:
    Get off those bloody league tables! snadjkvnadfbnkfabn

ReputationRep:
    i'm considering warwick and birmingham (biomedical sciences, 2010) and also can't figure out which one is the best... any help?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by i.s.a.)
    i'm considering warwick and birmingham (biomedical sciences, 2010) and also can't figure out which one is the best... any help?
    Look at the course and use that as a starting point. Also visit them and see which one you like best

ReputationRep:
    I did my undergrad at Warwick and am starting at Birmingham in September, my opinions:

Warwick's campus is v pretty but you will get bored towards the end of the first year at the complete lack of choice for going out (pretty much just the union unless you're willing to travel).
    Academically the university's good, plenty of support and nice facilities, although for me there's a few too many students never going out and just burying themselves in books.

2 & 3rd years at Warwick, spent in Leamington (unless you're a mug and go Cov), nightlife options open up a little but you have 30 min commute into uni every day plus extra cost of bus pass (which cost me more than my London one???).

I can't really comment on studying at Birmingham yet, but I've spent lots of time in and around the uni over the last few years. Campus is also nice but more old fashioned than Warwicks. Tons and tons more options for going out, people seem a bit less stuck up and more normal. The area around's completely at ends with Warwick, Selly Oak's not too bad but you get the feeling if you left a bike outside your house for five mins it'd be gone. First year accomodation seems a little expensive at Brum but I guess that comes with the city uni.

Ultimately you got to visit them.

ReputationRep:
    Birmingham aren't offering law in clearing?
    I know that for a fact, so if its law you are after, Warwick will be the best choice.

Overall....I prefer Brum, but Warwick is a lovely uni with a very prestigious name.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Controversial)
    I know that for a fact, so if its law you are after, Warwick will be the best choice.

Overall....I prefer Brum, but Warwick is a lovely uni with a very prestigious name.
    Yes, but I don't think Law at Warwick will be in Clearing either, so this whole thread is based on a dodgy premise in the first place!

To alert you to the responses you've had to date.

As there are innumerable threads like this in GUD, I would suggest people refrain from posting any further until the OP has responded.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by taheki)

OP have you visited both? Don't base your opinion purely on the league tables - both are well respected universities.
    Hi! thanks for responding, no i havent visited any of them as im from sweden, but according to:

(Original post by Controversial)
    I wont be able to apply, and therefore not get in at all =(

ReputationRep:
    Both are good unis but Warwick is the better of the two!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 02mik_e)
    Yeah just remember to say that's your opinion and don't state it as fact because I for one and a lot of others think it's actually quite amazing. Sorry to sound a bit rude :o:

OP if you want to work and prestige is important to you then go for Warwick, if you want a mixture of social, work, nightlife etc then go for Birmingham. Both Look amazing in my opinion :yep:
    Apologies, I shall edit my post.

Also, do you reeeaaallllyyy want to ditch Brum for Warwick? :p:

ReputationRep:
    Hi! thanks for responding, no i havent visited any of them as im from sweden, but according to:

I wont be able to apply, and therefore not get in at all =(
    Not for this year, no, but there's nothing to stop you from applying for 2010. That said, if you are an international student you should contact both universities and check the position, because we have been assuming that you are a UK/EU applicant (for whom there are very unlikely to be any places left for people who haven't already applied to them for entry this year).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by e-lover)
    Apologies, I shall edit my post.

Also, do you reeeaaallllyyy want to ditch Brum for Warwick? :p:
    haha no worries, apologies on my part if I sounded rude

is that question directed at me?

ReputationRep:
    without a doubt, warwick

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Are unpaid trial work shifts fair?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.