Reply 20
02mik_e
haha no worries, apologies on my part if I sounded rude :smile:

is that question directed at me?

Yes!
Reply 21
e-lover
Yes!

haha ermm i thought the course structure at Warwick suited me more and it's what I'm interested in. From what i saw at Birm, it was too sided to theory, but that's just my own observations. In addition, i found that there were "better" opportunities at Warwick and would benefit me post undergrad and also the career i want to go to. + Also I know that in Birmz the nightlife is really good, so i didn't want to get distracted, whereas in Warwick people work more. Also Warwick felt as if everyone was closer together, I didn't really get that feel in Birmingham + Warwick is so much more cheaper to live in :p: Lastly I just fell in love with the place when the bus drove onto Campus (lol sad i know) also our guide which was a friend of mine really sold it to us.

lol half of that didn't even make sense, but there are just so many reasons.

But you never know you could still see me around in the corridors, especially with the way some exams have went. I'll definitely be PMing you if I end up going there as i want to switch to Economics & Politics :yes:
I've never been to warwick, although one of my friends did and fell in love with it (though got rejected unfortunately)

but I'm going to brum, and although I've only been once (!), it did look really, really nice. The campus isn't far from the city centre, and the nightlife will be great. I don't know about your course, but Birmingham is really good for german/music! come to brum!
Reply 23
02mik_e
haha ermm i thought the course structure at Warwick suited me more and it's what I'm interested in. From what i saw at Birm, it was too sided to theory, but that's just my own observations. In addition, i found that there were "better" opportunities at Warwick and would benefit me post undergrad and also the career i want to go to. + Also I know that in Birmz the nightlife is really good, so i didn't want to get distracted, whereas in Warwick people work more. Also Warwick felt as if everyone was closer together, I didn't really get that feel in Birmingham + Warwick is so much more cheaper to live in :p: Lastly I just fell in love with the place when the bus drove onto Campus (lol sad i know) also our guide which was a friend of mine really sold it to us.

lol half of that didn't even make sense, but there are just so many reasons.

But you never know you could still see me around in the corridors, especially with the way some exams have went. I'll definitely be PMing you if I end up going there as i want to switch to Economics & Politics :yes:

Well fair enough. Quite comprehensive reasons!

It is very theoretical, but I see that as a massive strength if you want to be a well-trained political scientist/economist. Yeah the night life at brum fantastic but I heard the d&b scene is good in Warwick (which I'm quite jealous of!)

I used to think like you did! Such as 'People at 'so and so' Uni work harder' but let me tell you 9am even 10am lectures will seem like a hindrance when you start any Uni!

I'm going to PM you anyway because we're working on a Warwick-Birmingham student symposium next year which you should defo get involved!
Reply 24
Controversial
Birmingham aren't offering law in clearing?
I know that for a fact, so if its law you are after, Warwick will be the best choice.

Overall....I prefer Brum, but Warwick is a lovely uni with a very prestigious name.

Warwick is definitely not in clearing for Law. It never has been. This year, like last year and every other year before there have been 20 applications per place - one of, if not the highest application to place ratios in the whole of the UK.

With regards to basing your decision on the league tables - big mistake. Warwick is one of the top 10 universities in the country. According to the Guradian, for Law also where we are ranked 7th and B'ham 8th. http://www.guardian.co.uk/education/table/2009/may/12/university-guide-law

Visit both universities and see which you like best - both are really different but Warwick definitely has the prestige factor. And, if you are applying through clearing, as for Law at Warwick, you have no chance but having read some of this thread I'm not too sure what you are actually applying for.
Reply 25
Rosamund123
I've never been to warwick, although one of my friends did and fell in love with it (though got rejected unfortunately)

but I'm going to brum, and although I've only been once (!), it did look really, really nice. The campus isn't far from the city centre, and the nightlife will be great. I don't know about your course, but Birmingham is really good for german/music! come to brum!

My course is Law! sorry, forgot to write it in the original post! I wonder if theres any good uni that offers clearing... hmmm anybody know any unis that tend to offer clearing places for law?
Reply 26
vmarcher
My course is Law! sorry, forgot to write it in the original post! I wonder if theres any good uni that offers clearing... hmmm anybody know any unis that tend to offer clearing places for law?

Southampton might be a good shot.
Reply 27
Warwick by far
Warwick.
Reply 29
I love this 'Warwick without a doubt' brigade. Of course it'd be just ludicrous to assume everyone on here wasn't speaking from a position of experience? I assume everyone has been to both universities, sampled both the intellectual and social environment, and is making a decision based entirely on what they themselves think, not what they've read in a newspaper? Again, it's a given everyone here is actually at university, or knows about graduate employment, yes? Good.

Now, for my two pennies worth. University is about much more than the name on the degree- much is about personal preference and where you think you'd be comfortable sinking lots of money and time into. Warwick is very strong in lots of areas, its a given that some are stronger than others, but its rare to find a multifaculty institution which is excellent across the board. I have no doubt Birmingham has departments which rival Warwicks in many areas, but arguably has more weak areas too. Given that one submitted to 50 of 67 research areas in the last assessment, and the other just 29 (I'll let you work out which), and league tables tend to rank on an 'average' score, it's usually pretty easy for a smaller institution to appear excellent against a larger one which spreads its net wider.

Anyway, back to point. OP (and this rule goes for any application), do a bit of research, and try to take league tables with a near-lethal dose of salt. Somewhere like www.unionview.com is useful at having a scout around a place if you can't get down there. TSR can be a useful tool- but stick to the forums on your topic/institution- speak to those with experience. They'll be biased, but they'll be better than those who've read two years worth of Times league tables, never set foot in a university beyond an open day, and then profess you'll never get a job unless you go to one of about six universities.

My experience of Warwick wasn't a great one. I've been there for an academic conference, and I must say, I couldn't see myself in that environment. Each to their own though. Birmingham (although a different dept to your intended course) was more up my street, but I realise this is only personal preference. If you genuinely want to go to Warwick and love it, good luck. If you're going there because you think you'll have a better life by virtue of a few places in a league table, you're making a huge mistake.
0404343m
TSR can be a useful tool- but stick to the forums on your topic/institution- speak to those with experience. They'll be biased, but they'll be better than those who've read two years worth of Times league tables, never set foot in a university beyond an open day, and then profess you'll never get a job unless you go to one of about six universities.

:ditto:
0404343m

My experience of Warwick wasn't a great one. I've been there for an academic conference, and I must say, I couldn't see myself in that environment. Each to their own though. Birmingham (although a different dept to your intended course) was more up my street, but I realise this is only personal preference.

Would you mind sharing what you didn't like about it? I'm looking into it at the moment because of a very good Masters course structure.
Reply 31
Craghyrax
:ditto:
Would you mind sharing what you didn't like about it? I'm looking into it at the moment because of a very good Masters course structure.

Oh, I'm sure its fine- it's purely personal preference. I found the whole place very grey (well, it was raining, but that is the overriding colour), very pre-fabricated and 60s-ish (unsurprisingly), which I could probably live with, but more importantly than that I found the whole thing so claustrophobic, as if you were trapped in a little bubble separate and isolated from everything. If I'd went there aged 18 though intent on immersing myself in a student lifestyle, I'd probably have drawn a very different conclusion to what I did four years later, but it just wasn't the kind of environment I found myself enjoying- having been brought up in a large city probably had something to do with it mind, I find Oxford small!
0404343m
Oh, I'm sure its fine- it's purely personal preference. I found the whole place very grey (well, it was raining, but that is the overriding colour), very pre-fabricated and 60s-ish (unsurprisingly), which I could probably live with, but more importantly than that I found the whole thing so claustrophobic, as if you were trapped in a little bubble separate and isolated from everything. If I'd went there aged 18 though intent on immersing myself in a student lifestyle, I'd probably have drawn a very different conclusion to what I did four years later, but it just wasn't the kind of environment I found myself enjoying- having been brought up in a large city probably had something to do with it mind, I find Oxford small!

yeah, I've never been to warwick but apparently it is closer to lemington spa than warwick itself. I do find the idea of living in a 'bubble' very disconcerting. admittedly birmingham is a campus university, but I felt it was really well linked when I went to look round, and it didn't feel isolated. some campus unis are just too far away from normal civilisation! (keele, for example)
0404343m

Thanks. I got that impression from your Chernobyl/Warwick photo, and from the photos on the Uni website. It is a bit offputting. Nice to know I'm not the only person affected by the aesthetic environment. And the bubble thing has always put me off of campus Universities. Shame they're in the majority. Still - Bristol is on my list, and it has departments and accommodation interspersed with the city, which is awesome. Same thing at Cambridge and Oxford and presumably alot of London Unies (?)
0404343m

I was just about to comment on Warwick's campus but this sums it up perfectly. I hated the feel around the campus when I visited. It was like living in a separate world only with students in it which personally I couldn't live with. It seemed very 'cut-off' from the real world. Some people love it, I know a lot of people there who are extremely happy, but I definitely think it takes a particular type of person. I haven't spoken on academics as I don't know either place, just Warwick uni from visiting it twice.
Reply 35
Firstly, neither will be in clearing for law.

Secondly, have you visited and considered the atmosphere, location, and also importantly, the course structure?

If it were me, I'd choose Warwick. Personally, when visiting, I found the atmosphere to be amazing and really liked it there. Birmingham is nice, on the other hand, but at the same time very different - it's a large city, so it's bound to be.
Reply 36
Craghyrax
Thanks. I got that impression from your Chernobyl/Warwick photo, and from the photos on the Uni website. It is a bit offputting. Nice to know I'm not the only person affected by the aesthetic environment. And the bubble thing has always put me off of campus Universities. Shame they're in the majority. Still - Bristol is on my list, and it has departments and accommodation interspersed with the city, which is awesome. Same thing at Cambridge and Oxford and presumably alot of London Unies (?)

Indeed. Aesthetically pleasing it ain't, although it is fairly green- you don't get that with a Manchester or the like. I was a bit spoiled though, both at UG and to an extent Oxford. I had architecture, a compact campus, two massive parks at either side of campus, an area where 1 in 3 were students, but just a 20 minute walk to one of the busiest shopping areas in the country. Not many have that though, so its very much working out what suits you. I know people who love St Andrews, and I've had a couple of cracking nights out there- but I couldn't spend four years of my life there. Bristol is pretty nice though, I'd recommend taking a look. Durham also has the advantage of being two stops and about 15mins from Newcastle on the train, so you can potentially get the best of both worlds there.
0404343m
Indeed. Aesthetically pleasing it ain't, although it is fairly green- you don't get that with a Manchester or the like. I was a bit spoiled though, both at UG and to an extent Oxford. I had architecture, a compact campus, two massive parks at either side of campus, an area where 1 in 3 were students, but just a 20 minute walk to one of the busiest shopping areas in the country. Not many have that though, so its very much working out what suits you. I know people who love St Andrews, and I've had a couple of cracking nights out there- but I couldn't spend four years of my life there. Bristol is pretty nice though, I'd recommend taking a look. Durham also has the advantage of being two stops and about 15mins from Newcastle on the train, so you can potentially get the best of both worlds there.

Thanks. My Uncle lives in Bristol, so I've spent a fair amount of time there. Luckily the course and staff look good, so I'm jumping at the chance to apply :biggrin: I didn't much like Durham at the Open Day when I was going through this all for undergrad, and the course is no good. If I'm super-dooper lucky, I'll get to stay right where I am :s-smilie:
Reply 38
0404343m

I don't really get what's so bad about the campus' architecture. The maths buildings are pretty cutting edge, very contemporary, glass and steel. Similarly, central campus is pretty decent too and it has probably changed a lot since you were here last. The univerity has pumped about £16 million into redeveloping it students Union and like you said, there's also loads of greenery.

The architecture certainly isn't Oxford; it's very modern and not all traditional but then for some people, myself included, that's actually a bonus. We're also 20 minutes outside some of the busiest cities in the country (Coventry and Birmingham) and people who claim that the place is a "bubble" haven't stayed long enough to see what the university has to offer - it's massive but compact enough to provide everything you need. The Arts Centre which outside of London is the biggest in the UK and Warwick has the biggest SU in Europe.

I guess it's all about personal preference but I don't think anybody should dismiss the place without having visited it. :smile:
Reply 39
e-lover
Well fair enough. Quite comprehensive reasons!

It is very theoretical, but I see that as a massive strength if you want to be a well-trained political scientist/economist. Yeah the night life at brum fantastic but I heard the d&b scene is good in Warwick (which I'm quite jealous of!)

I used to think like you did! Such as 'People at 'so and so' Uni work harder' but let me tell you 9am even 10am lectures will seem like a hindrance when you start any Uni!

I'm going to PM you anyway because we're working on a Warwick-Birmingham student symposium next year which you should defo get involved!

That's exactly what I thought as well as a lot of Theory will get you thinking, but there was also the other side of the coin - bordem.

But yeah drop me a PM, that student symposium sounds interesting :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending