Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr_Deeds)
    I don't really get what's so bad about the campus' architecture. The maths buildings are pretty cutting edge, very contemporary, glass and steel. Similarly, central campus is pretty decent too and it has probably changed a lot since you were here last. The univerity has pumped about £16 million into redeveloping it students Union and like you said, there's also loads of greenery.

The architecture certainly isn't Oxford; it's very modern and not all traditional but then for some people, myself included, that's actually a bonus. We're also 20 minutes outside some of the busiest cities in the country (Coventry and Birmingham) and people who claim that the place is a "bubble" haven't stayed long enough to see what the university has to offer - it's massive but compact enough to provide everything you need. The Arts Centre which outside of London is the biggest in the UK and Warwick has the biggest SU in Europe.

I guess it's all about personal preference but I don't think anybody should dismiss the place without having visited it.
    I was only there around a year or so ago, and only for a few days. As I said, it wasn't up my street- but I did admit that it was purely personal preference. While I also know plenty who feel like me and think the place is pretty grey and can feel hemmed in without an immediate option to get out (we were a 35 min drive to Birmingham), I do also know plenty of people who relished it. If anyone's ever visited Stirling University, the two have a virtually identical feel- everything built in the last 40 years, set in the middle of parkland with thousands of other students and little else, yet 30-40mins gets you to three cities in Scotland. It has its upsides, don't get me wrong. It's just not for everyone.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by e-lover)
    Imo Warwick if you're a prestige whore but the campus is truly awful! The people are nice though. Albeit, many are international.

If you need any answers to any queries about Brum let me know.
    what the hell are you talking about? whats so awful about the campus? the piazza is awesome (although obviously not as good atm whilst the SU is being expanded but that will be done fairly soon).

the buildings all look really nice (e.g. the Arts Center, Library, University House) and theres plenty of green areas to lounge around in and hang out for some summery revision or to play football.

i really have no idea where all this campus hatred is coming from.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by abrp)
    what the hell are you talking about? whats so awful about the campus? the piazza is awesome (although obviously not as good atm whilst the SU is being expanded but that will be done fairly soon).

the buildings all look really nice (e.g. the Arts Center, Library, University House) and theres plenty of green areas to lounge around in and hang out for some summery revision or to play football.

i really have no idea where all this campus hatred is coming from.
    It's the main library/ramphal/social sciences/sciences buildings that are putting people off, large concrete affairs/drab brick buildings. The piazza and some of the outlying buildings are really nice, plus the grounds are v well kept, lots of green!

ReputationRep:
    I think people are perfectly entitled to say they don't like the place. Thats like berating someone for not liking work by Dali- Warwick is very much an acquired taste. I can see why people would like it, I personally don't even think their nicer buildings (and its not all 1960s concrete) are anything particularly special, nor are its gardens. They're pleasant enough and better to look at than the older parts of the campus, but that doesn't mean they're anything better than what you'd find in plenty of other places. It's liveable though, I never said it wasn't- and I wouldn't pick a university based on its architecture. The campus environment didn't suit me, and thats far from Warwick's fault- I feel the same about plenty of other places too. People need to stop getting so uptight when it's suggested that they aren't head over heels in love with the university someone else is going to, it's not a competition.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jk1986)
    It's the main library/ramphal/social sciences/sciences buildings that are putting people off, large concrete affairs/drab brick buildings. The piazza and some of the outlying buildings are really nice, plus the grounds are v well kept, lots of green!
    mmm but the library is so nice inside. and has nice like cafe rooms with lots of couches etc. social science area is quite nice too i like it. what are people expecting? something like Oxbridge type gothic buildings? sure that looks nice but i dont see how that will change your Uni experience...if how the buildings look makes you depressed then fine fair enough. funnily enough i went to Nottingham campus on open day - a campus which many claim is really nice and pretty and i absolutely hated it so fair play, each to their own.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vmarcher)
    Hi all!

I'm in the midst of clearing and cannot decide which is better, i've heard warwick is higher ranked in general, but according to http://extras.timesonline.co.uk/tol_...php?AC_sub=Law

Birmingham is 7th and warwick 22nd.

According to the guardian, however, Warwick is 7th and Birmingham 8th.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/education/...sity-guide-law

Can anyone please help me clarify? (btw, the course i plan to attend is law)

Also, any information on the cities which would make one lean in either direction is appreciated

To be honest I didnt even look at the league tables for Geology. I went to a few universities and I liked Birmingham best. Warwick does not do Geology hence I cannot comment on it.

The best advice returing to the original question is go to the University if you can on an open day for your department take a look around and ask lots of questions you will be there for the next 3 years at least!

You will when you visit have a gut feeling that I want to go to Warwick or I want to go to Birmingham. A few places in a league table should not deter you. Birmingham Geology is rated something like 18th in the UK however the teaching is externally ranked excellent which is more important at an undergraduate level in my opinion. Going to Birmingham has not harmed my chances in academic circles either.

Questions you should ask yourself when you visit (if possible)

1) Do I like the department, is it friendly do the lectures have time for me

2) What kind of places e.g facilities that are going to make my life easier does each department and university have

3) Do I like the accomodation and could I see my self living there

4) What does each course offer me advantages and disadvantages and ask the lecturers if you have any further questions

5) Ask a few current students at each university what are the pros and cons of both the course and the university

Hope it helps!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by epoch)
    To be honest I didnt even look at the league tables for Geology. I went to a few universities and I liked Birmingham best. Warwick does not do Geology hence I cannot comment on it.

The best advice returing to the original question is go to the University if you can on an open day for your department take a look around and ask lots of questions you will be there for the next 3 years at least!

You will when you visit have a gut feeling that I want to go to Warwick or I want to go to Birmingham. A few places in a league table should not deter you. Birmingham Geology is rated something like 18th in the UK however the teaching is externally ranked excellent which is more important at an undergraduate level in my opinion. Going to Birmingham has not harmed my chances in academic circles either.

Questions you should ask yourself when you visit (if possible)

1) Do I like the department, is it friendly do the lectures have time for me

2) What kind of places e.g facilities that are going to make my life easier does each department and university have

3) Do I like the accomodation and could I see my self living there

4) What does each course offer me advantages and disadvantages and ask the lecturers if you have any further questions

5) Ask a few current students at each university what are the pros and cons of both the course and the university

Hope it helps!
    What do you think are the pros and cons of birmingham? (prospective student here)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 0404343m)
    I love this 'Warwick without a doubt' brigade.
    :ditto: ..................

(Original post by Prince of Zamunda)
    Ha. Rubbish.
    What makes you say that?

In the law forum there's a university comparison sticky. It does miss a few excellent universities off but is still of some use as a rough guide and was (including at least one grad who works/worked for a MC firm)

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=88536

Oxford, Cambridge

(medium gap)

Durham, UCL, LSE, KCL, Nottingham, Bristol

(smaller gap)

Warwick, Birmingham....

Now, this is quite simplistic but, like I said, is just a rough guide. Birmingham is still a grand university and very respectable indeed and, in my (limited) experience is perhaps the most represented of the redbricks in law. It certainly has a great law department. Warwick's still a relatively new university, only forty years old, and although it's undoubtedly a great university it wasn't particularly well thought of a generation ago and this does have a slight effect in what's still a conservative environment like law.

Of course, in the regional chambers and the high street solicitors especially this isn't a great concern at all. But I think we should be careful not to exaggerate the difference between the two just because of Warwick's league table positions and brand over these last fifteen years.

(Original post by Sammyted1)
    To an academic, Warwick perhaps is more prestigious - to employers in the City of London, it is much closer, and will come down to the individual candidate.
    Which is what it often boils down to in the end. Yes, there is often employer bias involved, but it's unlikely that an employer will chose a Warwick grad over, say, a Liverpool grad just because of brand name. There's all sorts of areas where a Liverpool grad may still have the upper hand, not least in experience. So although we mustn't exaggerate how much difference there is between the two we also need to keep in mind that, in the city, it rarely comes down to brand name alone.

My course is Law! sorry, forgot to write it in the original post! I wonder if theres any good uni that offers clearing... hmmm anybody know any unis that tend to offer clearing places for law?
    It's been a while since I last saw a clearing list. Exeter's Cornwall campus may be worth a try. Exeter's an excellent university but the Cornwall campus is still fairly new and isn't as popular, partly due to its more rural location. So if you don't think. Kent, Reading, Hull...these may be in clearing and are of a decent/good standard. The redbricks and stronger city-based universities (Newcastle, Leeds, Liverpool etc) are unlikely to be in clearing but I wouldn't say never.

But if it's Birmingham or Warwick you want to go to then you can always apply for 2010 entry.

About Warwick's campus, it is a "marmite" thing. Some love it, some hate it, but I think you've already got that impression from this thread :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Toxic Tears)
    What do you think are the pros and cons of birmingham? (prospective student here)
    First I CANNOT comment on Warwick never being there as I AM NOT making any comparisons to Warwick and I do not do law.

Pros Birmingham,
    1) Nice campus University with nice good departments ane teaching
    2) Law and Geology are in a great location!
    3) Good University spirit and active guild (student union) which is being refurbed as we speak
    4) Excellent Library and computer provisions
    5) Student societys are active and varied and alot specific to courses so easy to meet people with similar intrests
    6) Active sports societies and excellent facilities
    7) Easy access (has its own station) to central Birmingham and SellyOak close by for general stuff e.g supermarkets etc
    8) Great arpproachble council service and niteline

Cons
    1) Can be a bit difficult living at home to commute etc though an excellent freshers off campus soc
    2 Accomodation in Selly Oak isn't fantastic although there are some nice places
    3) Cost of dorms (now the same everywhere to be honest)
    4) Maybe to big sometimes!

They are the general pros and cons for Law specific possibly post in the Birmingham forum. Any Geology specific department questions I can help further.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Prince of Zamunda)
    but the notion of Birmingham > Warwick was just plain ridiculous.
    It's not really ridiculous, I'm confident Birmingham has departments and specialities that top Warwick. I'm of the belief that you cannot compare multifaculty universities at all well, since it's been shown in the latest RAE that many of those with the highest 'average' score are those who are active in less areas. The Birmingham's of this world who teach almost everything thus look inferior thanks only to being large- If they'd cut down and stuck to the areas they were strong at, I'm sure they'd look a lot better by virtue of it. What constitutes 'better' anyway? In the eyes of employers? If so, which ones? There are over a quarter of a million graduates who will not be employed in London, let alone the City, so a few firms here and there means very little. I certainly couldn't say with conviction that one multifaculty university which teaches everything from Classics to Chemistry is 'weaker' than another- since the only indicators you can compare them on are open to so many variables from size to the state of the regional economy to what the individual graduate wants to do with themselves. A university with lots of happy students getting firsts and 2:1s might ride high in the league tables, but its the quality of education 'better' there? Is an anecdote of someone's dad's pal's uncle only employing graduates from University X really telling us anything?

I'm sure Warwick offers plenty of high-class courses taught by some of the best academics in their field, using some of the best facilities in the UK to students among the top few percent of their classes. But I'm equally confident the same can be said of Birmingham, perhaps in differing (or the same) courses. It's a gross overgeneralisation to say "Warwick > Birmingham", or to think that you'll be better off in life because "everyone thinks Warwick is more prestigious". Thats a nonsense that cannot be quantified objectively in any way, shape or form- beyond a league table that decides for you that a few more people (of the few who bothered to respond to the survey) in something as wide ranging as 'further study or employment' means X > Y. University is about the education, and some of the best in their field are to be found across the spectrum, making drawing comparisons very difficult. The consensus among those (largely pre-university students) in this thread won't change that, it's a much more reliant on the individual in question.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 0404343m)
    It's not really ridiculous, I'm confident Birmingham has departments and specialities that top Warwick.
    I think he was referring to rep in law/which curry favour with the Magic Circle which is still quite difficult to measure/determine.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by epoch)
    First I CANNOT comment on Warwick never being there as I AM NOT making any comparisons to Warwick and I do not do law.

Pros Birmingham,
    1) Nice campus University with nice good departments ane teaching
    2) Law and Geology are in a great location!
    3) Good University spirit and active guild (student union) which is being refurbed as we speak
    4) Excellent Library and computer provisions
    5) Student societys are active and varied and alot specific to courses so easy to meet people with similar intrests
    6) Active sports societies and excellent facilities
    7) Easy access (has its own station) to central Birmingham and SellyOak close by for general stuff e.g supermarkets etc
    8) Great arpproachble council service and niteline

Cons
    1) Can be a bit difficult living at home to commute etc though an excellent freshers off campus soc
    2 Accomodation in Selly Oak isn't fantastic although there are some nice places
    3) Cost of dorms (now the same everywhere to be honest)
    4) Maybe to big sometimes!

They are the general pros and cons for Law specific possibly post in the Birmingham forum. Any Geology specific department questions I can help further.
    Ok thanks. I'm not actually interested in law/geology/warwick, just biology. I wonder if you know anyone who does biology???
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Interestingly, many employers (I mean Magic Circle employers) in a majority of cases prefer Birmingham over Warwick because of its 'city' factor.
    I'm sorry but Prince of Zamunda is correct - this is complete trite. Warwick is regarded very highly by the magic circle who actually hold their recruitment events and open days at the University of Warwick. Birmingham students are invited to attend these and it is them who have to make the effort to get to Warwick not the other way around. Personal bias aside, in terms of reputation amongst the top legal employers Warwick does have the better reputation and as I do have experience with the top city firms (MC included) it's not something which you should dismiss quite so easily.

I'm afraid I have to disagree with River85 also, I don't need to tell you that you're usually spot on but the difference between Warwick, Nottingham, Bristol and the like is negligible and when I was applying for Law a few years back I actually rejected some of these univerities in favour of Warwick following the advice of a number of family friends who are corporate lawyers. Warwick, without a shadow of doubt, is definitely up there with the rest of them and it is Manchester, not Birmingham, which is slightly behind.

ReputationRep:
    Warwick is definitely not in clearing for Law. It never has been. This year, like last year and every other year before there have been 20 applications per place - one of, if not the highest application to place ratios in the whole of the UK...http://www.guardian.co.uk/education/...sity-guide-law
    Thanks for the reply,

Where can you see what schools will be/have been in clearing? =)
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Thanks for the reply,

Where can you see what schools will be/have been in clearing? =)
    You can't until results day; you have to buy yourself a copy of the Independent and check there - they have a massive list of all the universities in clearing by subject. I know that Warwick isn't because it's where I study Law and I know that this year has been equally as competitive as last.

ReputationRep:
    You can't until results day; you have to buy yourself a copy of the Independent and check there - they have a massive list of all the universities in clearing by subject. I know that Warwick isn't because it's where I study Law and I know that this year has been equally as competitive as last.
    ah, damn :P i have the grades for warrick but i didnt have it as a choice :P, what if one lives in sweden and cant buy the independent :P?
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Please explain to me where I have said that Warwick is NOT highly regarded by the Magic Circle? In fact, I stated clearly that Warwick is perhaps more prestigious. I made the valid point that what Warwick doesn't prepare some country bumpkins for, is the city life, and whether or not you can adjust to life in London is an important factor.
    I haven't implied that you didn't say Warwick was prestigious; I merely added credence to it by agreeing with you. What you did say was that "in a majority of cases the magic circle" favour Birmingham graduates to Warwick ones. This is complete rubbish and is evident by the fact that, as I and somebody else has already mentioned, the magic circle more actively target Warwick students - that's Clifford Chance included (which, might I add, is the largest of the magic circle firms).

Then you went on to support what you said by claiming that the reason for your waffle was because Birmingham university better prepares graduates for city life. To add insult to injury you also stereotyped Warwick students as "country bumpkins." Both points are again complete rubbish and it is not, and never will be, a requirement of any of the leading firms that their trainees have lived or studied in a city. The magic circle, like everywhere else, look for the best applicants and not those who they think might settle in more nicely with the London scenery. That's taking CSR one step too far unfortunately. :rolleyes:
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    I never disagreed with you about Birmingham not being targetted by the leading firms. Again, I accept that they have a very good law school and it's not deniable that Law graduates from Birmingham have very good prospects. BUT, that's not because their univerity is based in a city and it's completely ridiculous for you to continue to suggest that it is.

What you said originally was: "Interestingly, many employers (I mean Magic Circle employers) in a majority of cases prefer Birmingham over Warwick because of its 'city' factor." Correct me if I'm wrong, but that suggests that you are under the impression that magic circle employers in a majority of cases prefer Birmingham graduates.

Now, in your most recent post you've said: "The quote you suggested there was that I thought that Birmingham is favoured in the majority of cases, which I know not to be the case." This is a complete contradiction with your above post regardless of whether or not we're talking about magic circle firms, which in any case is complete waffle as well. It's clear that you don't know what you're talking about and whilst I'm not trying to offend you, I think it's wrong to advise somebody on a matter which you claim to know a lot about when you clearly don't and then slate others for pointing this out to you.

Anyway, this is just getting petty now...
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    ah, damn :P i have the grades for warrick but i didnt have it as a choice :P, what if one lives in sweden and cant buy the independent :P?
    Ermmm lol. Good question... I haven't had that problem, nor do I know anybody who has - I could send you one but I'm not sure that it would get to you in time :p:! I imagine that the list might be available on the Independent's website or otherwise UCAS. You'd get the best answer to this if you sent Minerva a PM or posted in the UCAS and applications forum.

ReputationRep:
    Ermmm lol. Good question... I haven't had that problem, nor do I know anybody who has - I could send you one but I'm not sure that it would get to you in time :p:! I imagine that the list might be available on the Independent's website or otherwise UCAS. You'd get the best answer to this if you sent Minerva a PM or posted in the UCAS and applications forum.
    Yeah it's on the UCAS website, probably better looking there than the independant tbh since it might be updated more than daily?

Poll
Who is your favourite TV detective?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.