Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hey,

I've joined the gym to get back to where i was earlier this year, i just need some advice on what my do's and dont's are with regards to weight loss?

Should i use a protein shake while trying to loss weight? if so which one?

What kind of foods should i eat to help with the weight loss?

If anyone could recomennd a nutrition plan and maybe a work out plan that would be amazing?

Any help would be really appreciated.

ReputationRep:
    Many ways to lose weight mate.

But most importantly, to lose weight calories in < calories out.

If you find your daily calorie level where you neither gain nor lose weight (i.e. your energy requirements), subtract about 500 from that and this is what your looking to consume per day.

Most people reduce carbs and fats in their diet, and increase protein.

Because your at a calorie deficit you will be losing muscle + bodyfat. This is unavoidable. However, by eating the right foods and training well you can hopefully lose as little muscle as possible in the process.

Aim for a loss of 1-2lb ish per week. If you lose more you are likely losing too much muscle as well.

At the gym, increase weight and lower reps. Aim for retaining strength as you lose weight as your not likely to up your weights if your body is eating itself. And of course, exercise. 30minutes 3-4 times a week is all that is needed really, its very much down to diet.

For an example cutting-up diet, try http://www.muscletalk.co.uk/article-...o-cutting.aspx for inspiration.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ricky116)
    Many ways to lose weight mate.

But most importantly, to lose weight calories in < calories out.

If you find your daily calorie level where you neither gain nor lose weight (i.e. your energy requirements), subtract about 500 from that and this is what your looking to consume per day.

Most people reduce carbs and fats in their diet, and increase protein.

Because your at a calorie deficit you will be losing muscle + bodyfat. This is unavoidable. However, by eating the right foods and training well you can hopefully lose as little muscle as possible in the process.

Aim for a loss of 1-2lb ish per week. If you lose more you are likely losing too much muscle as well.

At the gym, increase weight and lower reps. Aim for retaining strength as you lose weight as your not likely to up your weights if your body is eating itself. And of course, exercise. 30minutes 3-4 times a week is all that is needed really, its very much down to diet.

For an example cutting-up diet, try http://www.muscletalk.co.uk/article-...o-cutting.aspx for inspiration.
    I need some help with a diet aswell, Just something to start with some sort of plan or somwhere i can find one? Trying to research it, seems to be the hardest thing in the world lol.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by reece.moore88)
    Hey,

I've joined the gym to get back to where i was earlier this year, i just need some advice on what my do's and dont's are with regards to weight loss?

Should i use a protein shake while trying to loss weight? if so which one?

What kind of foods should i eat to help with the weight loss?

If anyone could recomennd a nutrition plan and maybe a work out plan that would be amazing?

Any help would be really appreciated.
    yes you should use protein shakes while cutting.

suggestion = http://www.myprotein.co.uk/bulk-supp.../impact-blend/

or

http://www.myprotein.co.uk/bulk-supp...(unflavoured)/

you can use the code: MP118589 for a small discount.

TBH it doesn't matter what your diet is, as long as its a calorie deficit. workout how many calories you need a day, using the harris-benedict equation. and then eat 500 calories below it to lose 1lb a week.

The main source you should be taking the calories away from is carbs, and you should up the protein. this will help you maintain muscle.

ReputationRep:
    Drink Adios, that is clinacally proven by thier own scientists that it May aid weight loss if you bust your ass in the gym and eat a calorie defecit anyway.

Sounds like a win win situation to me!

ReputationRep:
    lol Powerlifter

And as for "I need some help with a diet aswell, Just something to start with some sort of plan or somwhere i can find one? Trying to research it, seems to be the hardest thing in the world lol."

Forget the gym mate, start at the start and work your way up. First port of call is reading. Go go go

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.