Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

what size/weight dumbbells should i buy? Watch

ReputationRep:
    What size dumbbells should I buy/use? (in Kg)

I know it depends on ability, experience, stature etc etc. But for a male 18 year old what size/weight should I use? (i.e. a dumbbell of 5kg/10kg/15kg/20kg? more?)

I've never really done them before, and so i don't know which weight/size to 'start' at.

Any advice? recommendations etc. What do you use?

ReputationRep:
    Any workout at home based on dumbbells on a reasonable budget's likely to be sub-optimal for a beginner. Unless you're going to buy a bench and squat rack, you'd probably be bettter off with a bag of rocks and a pull-up bar.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Scipio90)
    Any workout at home based on dumbbells on a reasonable budget's likely to be sub-optimal for a beginner. Unless you're going to buy a bench and squat rack, you'd probably be bettter off with a bag of rocks and a pull-up bar.
    :p:

This 'workout/training' wont be based on dumbbells alone. I already have all of the foundations for a home-gym.

Basically, my older brother set up a home gym few years ago, but he's now moved out, and is leaving the equipment (but he took the barbells and dumbbells with him).

So basically I want to buy some dumbbells (and then eventually some barbells) to complete my gym set and thus start training etc.

So...any chance you could provide me a more productive and constructive feedback?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mr_qwerty)
    :p:

This 'workout/training' wont be based on dumbbells alone. I already have all of the foundations for a home-gym.

Basically, my older brother set up a home gym few years ago, but he's now moved out, and is leaving the equipment (but he took the barbells and dumbbells with him).

So basically I want to buy some dumbbells (and then eventually some barbells) to complete my gym set and thus start training etc.

So...any chance you could provide me a more productive and constructive feedback?
    You'd probably be better off starting with a barbell + plates, since you'll probably be having to do something mildly creative to get squatting and deadlifting heavy working with db's. Maybe 100kg in total to start with?

ReputationRep:
    What size dumbbells should I buy/use? (in Kg)

I know it depends on ability, experience, stature etc etc. But for a male 18 year old what size/weight should I use? (i.e. a dumbbell of 5kg/10kg/15kg/20kg? more?)

I've never really done them before, and so i don't know which weight/size to 'start' at.

Any advice? recommendations etc. What do you use?
    Abit off topic but seeing as your from london(so am i) you dont happen to know where i can pick up some decent and cheap weight plates from?Looking for weight plates between 15kg and 25kg.Everything is so damned expensive around here

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Scipio90)
    You'd probably be better off starting with a barbell + plates, since you'll probably be having to do something mildly creative to get squatting and deadlifting heavy working with db's. Maybe 100kg in total to start with?
    Thanks for the input - much appreciated.

Looks like I'll have to invest on a barbell as well as dumbbells. I'll probably try equate/dedicate time on each in order to help maximise potential and productivity with variation.

:dumbells:

ReputationRep:
    Meh, I have always thought that If I can carry them all the way back to my apartment and up the stairs then they clearly aren't heavy enough for me to work out with. (unless I do looooooads of reps)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sssdeol1)
    Abit off topic but seeing as your from london(so am i) you dont happen to know where i can pick up some decent and cheap weight plates from?Looking for weight plates between 15kg and 25kg.Everything is so damned expensive around here
    It all depends on whether you would settle for second hand ones or if you want brand new ones. It seems to me the general trend is that they're expensively priced everywhere - although particularly in London.

If your looking for new ones, then apart from an Argos sale (which i still think is expensive), you can try JJB Sports which is where my brother brought his gear, or somewhere like Sportsdirect. I recommend JJB as the prices are reasonable, and they sell all the big known brands like York, but also they sell unknown brands which are cheap.

If second hand, then i'd assume 'car boot sales' are the best place. My friend brought a '50 Kg spinlock barbell/dumbell set' for a £15 (they normally cost minimum £50+). Ebay seems to be expensive aswell, as they're full of traders with high delivery charges, but worth a try.

Im an amateur so I aint got no expert advice - hope i helped though.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the input - much appreciated.

Looks like I'll have to invest on a barbell as well as dumbbells. I'll probably try equate/dedicate time on each in order to help maximise potential and productivity with variation.

:dumbells:
    Mate, just buy a barbell for now. Any half decent routine will have you barely touching the dumbbells anyway. Save your cash and spend it on more iron.

ReputationRep:
    It all depends on whether you would settle for second hand ones or if you want brand new ones. It seems to me the general trend is that they're expensively priced everywhere - although particularly in London.

If your looking for new ones, then apart from an Argos sale (which i still think is expensive), you can try JJB Sports which is where my brother brought his gear, or somewhere like Sportsdirect. I recommend JJB as the prices are reasonable, and they sell all the big known brands like York, but also they sell unknown brands which are cheap.

If second hand, then i'd assume 'car boot sales' are the best place. My friend brought a '50 Kg spinlock barbell/dumbell set' for a £15 (they normally cost minimum £50+). Ebay seems to be expensive aswell, as they're full of traders with high delivery charges, but worth a try.

Im an amateur so I aint got no expert advice - hope i helped though.
    Thanks mate,will try to get down to a car boot sale to see if i can find a bargain otherwise JJB it is.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Brotherhood)
    Mate, just buy a barbell for now. Any half decent routine will have you barely touching the dumbbells anyway. Save your cash and spend it on more iron.
    Wise words. I dont want to dent my wallet too much, after all this is a recession we're living in

ReputationRep:
    If you're not joining a gym, use body weight exercises.

ReputationRep:
    ^ kl cheers for the advice
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by Brotherhood)
    Any half decent routine will have you barely touching the dumbbells anyway. Save your cash and spend it on more iron.
    wat

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Smack)
    wat
    What? :/
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Plenty of good routines will have you using dumbbells a lot. In many exercises the dumbbell version is better than the barbell version, actually. I'm thinking rows and presses here.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Smack)
    Plenty of good routines will have you using dumbbells a lot. In many exercises the dumbbell version is better than the barbell version, actually. I'm thinking rows and presses here.
    I'm just trying to make him buy some decent weight. I do plenty of dumbbell stuff myself. As a beginner he'd be better off with a barbell and a fair amount of weight than a barbell and dumbbells and a poor amount of weight for both.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Dumbbell handles aren't expensive.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Smack)
    What would be your own personal advice for a me?

ReputationRep:
    What would be your own personal advice for a me?
    :awesome:

yer i'd buy the barbell first, then the dumbells. don't buy a 'set' weight bar though, buy adjustables, otherwise your going to be buying new dumbells every over week.

you can buy loadsa sets from argos. but if anything you want to buy an olympic set for a couple of hundred, you'll be saving money from future purchases (i've spent a couple of hundred on my standard set, and i need to get rid of it in favour of an olympic just so i can keep on expanding)

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 30, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.