Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

High Heel Shoes - How do you walk in them?! =O Watch

ReputationRep:
    I'm female and I reallllly want to wear high heel shoes, i fell in love with a pair of shoes with 5" heel and i even bought them but i cant walk in them and im scared of falling... advice??

ReputationRep:
    one step at a time =)
    you get used to it lol

ReputationRep:
    Get drunk

ReputationRep:
    My best friend taught me in three easy steps:
    1. Straight back, with head up
    2. Wiggle your hips
    3. Don't think about it too much!!
    It works...sorta

ReputationRep:
    Make sure to keep your shoulders back and step one foot in front of the other.

Agreed with the get drunk comment, I walk really good in heels when I'm drunk, my singing and dancing is also fantastic.

ReputationRep:
    Walk around at home in them every other day. You'll get used to it.

ReputationRep:
    practice? walk about the house/garden in them a bit then just wear them out some night. just relax, and don't do a weird sort of bambi trot in them, that looks ridiculous and is just making life difficult.
    flat to 5" is a bit of a jump though, something chunky ~3" is easy to learn to walk in

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by princessnavi22)
    Get drunk
    Agree with this!
    Every time I'm drunk it feels like I can walk perfectly in heels and there's no pain

ReputationRep:
    A good tip I learned, was to put them on to go to the supermarket. You'll look like a right tit, but it's perfect practise walking in them on a hard, flat floor, with a trolley as a guide if you need it. I did this the other day in my new heeled DM's and it was brilliant. By the time I'd finished shopping, I could walk to the car unaided and not looking like a tit!

But I agree - you've definitely gotta swagger. It's a slight hip-shift, that gets your momentum going. And don't think about it. The more you think about how you look while you walk, your walk will become really unnatural. So stop thinking. Completely.

ReputationRep:
    Do they have a strap on them? That might make them more secure, practice really.
    Try the book on your head thing :yep: but as someone already said its quite a jump from nothing to 5"
    You could just do what I do and stand there and look good in them :laugh:, wiggling your hips helps but.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by justwondering)
    I'm female and I reallllly want to wear high heel shoes, i fell in love with a pair of shoes with 5" heel and i even bought them but i cant walk in them and im scared of falling... advice??
    dont wear them

ReputationRep:
    You wear them with a smile, and pretend they don't hurt. :laugh:
    You can always get those party feet gel pad things to put in your shoes? I don't find they make any difference, but they're meant to help!

Every time i'm out i swear i will never wear heels again, yet when i am out again, what am i wearing on my feet? Yes. High blimmin' heels.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by justwondering)
    Tense your stomach muscles. It's the best way to balance. Also, don't slouch, stand up straight, and it will come with practice

ReputationRep:
    I started by wearing wedges, to get used to the height, and now, I'm wearing medium sized heels. Once I'm completely comfortable with them, I'll move onto high heels. It may be a while, though, cos I'm pretty clumsy.

ReputationRep:
    I'm no expert, but recently I've learned to avoid stomping, like planting the shoe all down flat with bent knees. I'd suggest just forcing yourself to walk as though you've got regular shoes on (heel first) then eventually it'll be done naturally.

The gel things really help me, as they stop your feet slipping forward.

ReputationRep:
    How old are you out of curiosity?
    And em, I don't really know on the advice bit... Just walk without thinking and see where that takes ya?

ReputationRep:
    Squeeze the shoes with your toes as you take your foot off the ground, and make a figure of 8 with your hips as you walk.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by princessnavi22)
    Get drunk
    this. somehow makes you balance perfect!

ReputationRep:
    Wear them around the house for about a week.

ReputationRep:
    Put more weight on the front of the shoe rather than the back.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 29, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.