Turn on thread page Beta
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    From Wikipedia:
    Often, the masculine/feminine classification is only followed carefully for human beings. For animals, the relation between real and grammatical gender tends to be more arbitrary. In Spanish, for instance, a cheetah is always un guepardo (masculine) and a zebra is always una cebra (feminine), regardless of their biological sex. If it becomes necessary to specify the sex of the animal, an adjective is added, as in un guepardo hembra (a female cheetah), or una cebra macho (a male zebra). Different names for the male and the female of a species are more frequent for common pets or farm animals, eg. English horse and mare, Spanish vaca "cow" and toro "bull".
    So, why "un guepardo hembra", "una cebra macho"? This makes no sense to me; I know the words mean "female" and "male" respectively, but so what? They're refusing to agree with the nouns!

Any insight would be appreciated.

ReputationRep:
    It's just the way it is xD I don't know why but obviously hembra is female and macho is male. Just the way it is *shrugs*

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by generalebriety)
    From Wikipedia:

So, why "un guepardo hembra", "una cebra macho"? This makes no sense to me; I know the words mean "female" and "male" respectively, but so what? They're refusing to agree with the nouns!

Any insight would be appreciated.
    They're epicene nouns. The gender of the noun is fixed. 'Macho' and 'hembra' are invariable adjectives.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by Brotherhood)
    They're epicene nouns. The gender of the noun is fixed.
    Yeah, I know. Why aren't the adjectives agreeing with the gender of the noun, though? "Una cebra" is feminine, so any adjective qualifying it, even if it is an adjective meaning "male", should also be feminine, shouldn't it?
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by Missmeem)
    It's just the way it is xD I don't know why but obviously hembra is female and macho is male. Just the way it is *shrugs*
    Is there any context in which you'd use the words "hembro" or "macha"?

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, I know. Why aren't the adjectives agreeing with the gender of the noun, though? "Una cebra" is feminine, so any adjective qualifying it, even if it is an adjective meaning "male", should also be feminine, shouldn't it?
    Sorry, I added a sentence in. They're both invariable adjectives (nouns functioning as adjectives). They don't change.

ReputationRep:
    Is there any context in which you'd use the words "hembro" or "macha"?
    No, they're not words. It's just hembra for female and macho for male, you can't swap the 'a' and 'o' around.

ReputationRep:
    Sorry, I added a sentence in. They're both invariable adjectives (nouns functioning as adjectives). They don't change.
    Are there any more examples of this?
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by Missmeem)
    No, they're not words. It's just hembra for female and macho for male, you can't swap the 'a' and 'o' around.
    Ah, I see. Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by frederizia)
    Are there any more examples of this?
    Colours from objects mainly; esmeralda, mostaza, naranja, paja, rosa, turquesa e.t.c. Colours like naranja and rosa are so commonly used they're basically adjectives now so the rules apply both ways.

Monstruo, modelo, proper names, borrowed adjectives (web, sport) e.t.c.

ReputationRep:
    I thought I had heard about it before, must've been the colour thing Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    Juan es una persona muy macho

Maria es una persona muy mona

The adjective always has to agree with the gender of the noun.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: July 29, 2009

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.