Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hey all,

Does anyone know whether this would be possible? Either early on or perhaps in the clinical years?

I start medicine this September at Dundee and personal reasons means that I will have to travel to Newcastle weekly/fortnightly on a Saturday. For some reason the train times have gone up to like 5 hours randomly on this date after the 10th October so this could cause a bit of a strain with social life and studying.. driving there will make me broke soon especially as this in my second degree.

Worse come worse I will have to drive there but would help to know that maybe at some point I may have the opportunity to transfer.

Thanks in advance for any help.

ReputationRep:
    You've not even started yet... Get in contact with Dundee and see if there are any funds that you can apply to for travel before hand. If you're that strapped though already, it might be worth considering asking if you can defer your offer for a year and start saving like a demon. I know from personal experience and from my experience as Welfare Officer that, as a graduate, if it is clear that you could never afford medical school in the first place, it's much more difficult to get funding from many avenues.

AS for transfering, it really does depend on the individual medical schools in question and how well their curricula marry up. However, as a general rule and without sever mitigation (being raped/attacked/sudden death of a parent and having to move home to become a primary carer/etc), transfering before clinical phase of training (i.e. in yeas 1, 2 +/- 3) means reapplying through UCAS and starting the new course in year 1. After this point, it's much easier.

As for the train - it'll ne planned engineering works at the weekend probably - one of my clinical placements took 1.5 hours travel to and from on any day but Sunday - rail replacememnt services pushed that up to 5 hours if travelling back to the hospital on a Sunday (cue very early Monday mornings and a tres grumpy, sleep deprived me!!). Is there a NAtional Express or MEga Bus service between the two?

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the reply Fluffy.

I was thinking the same.. I haven't even started yet and worried already lol. I emailed my local council, university and will be back working in my grad job next week so hopefully I have enough funds. I have saved up 6k already and parents will pay tuition fees + accomodation throughout so aslong I can get this Newcastle-Dundee trek sorted I think it'll be ok.

I hope you're right about the weekend engineering works because all the week days seem to be running ok. I'm hoping that may be in the clinical years I can transfer.. I know that there are some clinical placements north of the UK at Dundee. May be I shall wait until I get there though and ask someone at Dundee because I defo don't qualify as extenuating circumstances.

ReputationRep:
    Surely Dundee to Newcastle should only be 3 hours?! I travel Edinburgh to Newcastle regularly and it only takes an hour and a half, perhaps you could bus to Edinburgh and then train down?

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 22 Aug '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Thu, 23 Aug '18
  3. University of Glasgow
    All Subjects Undergraduate
    Tue, 28 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.