Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Diet-plan for gaining weight (oh yes!) Watch

ReputationRep:
    Given that I used to 'miss' meals because I forgot to eat (notice how you do so when you spend hours on the computer? :o:), I've started to change my eating pattern to the following, but it still needs some work and that's what I ask of you here in the Fitness forum:

BREAKFAST

Now it's usually either porridge with banana mixed into it, OR some poached eggs on toast with some ham/mushrooms. I would previously miss this entirely !

MID-MORNING

I eat an apple or an orange but usually nothing more. I guess unsalted nuts would be good but when supermarkets seem to charge £2.50 for a tiny bag I don't really buy them =/

LUNCH

Honestly - it's usually 2 jacket potatoes with cheese, and a bit of salad by the side. I need more variety here please!!

AFTERNOON

I've probably read something wrong on a website somewhere but here I have peanut butter (some Meridian stuff that just has 2 ingredients or something) and sliced banana on wholegrain toast. (<-- is wholegrain/wholemeal toast worth the extra money?)

DINNER

If I can afford it I try to eat chicken at least three times a week which is either in the form of making a curry + rice, or just cooking the breasts with a sauce and eating it with some boiled potatoes. I don't eat seafood (don't ask!!) so other things I might have pasta for dinner a couple of times.

This probably seems f-all to you in terms of what I eat but I honestly did used to eat waaaay less. So I really want actual meal advice and things to eat in the mid-morning/mid-afternoon "gaps". I'm mainly interested in how to balance "Healthy Eating" with "Objectively Eating to Gain Weight" - some of the things I read on the internet for healthy eating seem quite similar to what you are advised to eat to gain weight!

Many thanks!!

ReputationRep:
    Male or Female?

Aims? You make no mention of physical excerise / weightlifting.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ricky116)
    Male or Female?

Aims? You make no mention of physical excerise / weightlifting.
    Male! I've *literally* just this past week been on a google-frenzy for this whole weight gain thing (and yes I have bookmarked Starting Strength, just wanted some constructive friendly advice from fellow TSR members since I barely go into this forum usually ), so I don't really do much physical exercise at the moment! Though obviously once I've cracked a good diet (which can be quickly achieved) I'll get my **** down the gym.

ReputationRep:
    Drink lots of whole milk. Preferably with every meal. There's not a lot of protein there, try to sort that out. If you having trouble getting more protein from food, order some protein powder from myprotein.co.uk. Brotherhood will give you a 5% discount code, you can count on it.

Don't weight around for your diet to start training in the gym; you need to start training yesterday.

ReputationRep:
    Its much better than many people's diets ive seen, but for someone trying to gain muscle i would say you need to add some more protein in there. For your lunch for example try tuna with your potato ( people often say they dislike seafood, but like tuna, so meh, its a great gym food)
    Breakfast is good, you cannot go wrong with porridge, and dinner is alright, keep eating your meat.
    If you like cheese, may i recommend cottage cheese as my best find for ages, 1 600g tub has 80g of protein, so eat half as a snack in afternoon or morning or whatever, and it also has about 1% fat , contrary to most people's beliefs. Good to see you redcognising the importance of nutrition tho.

Drink calshake / fortisip or get some caloreen to add to drinks.

ReputationRep:
    At tesco 250g bags of unsalted nuts and fruit are like 55p

ReputationRep:
    where are you veggies?? (apart from potatoe, you need some more greens)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mark Rippetoe)
    Drink lots of whole milk. Preferably with every meal. There's not a lot of protein there, try to sort that out. If you having trouble getting more protein from food, order some protein powder from myprotein.co.uk. Brotherhood will give you a 5% discount code, you can count on it.

Don't weight around for your diet to start training in the gym; you need to start training yesterday.
    **** off Smed.

ReputationRep:

I don't knock you for doing it, I don't know why you get so touchy.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.