Turn on thread page Beta

Diet-plan for gaining weight (oh yes!) watch

ReputationRep:
    Given that I used to 'miss' meals because I forgot to eat (notice how you do so when you spend hours on the computer? :o:), I've started to change my eating pattern to the following, but it still needs some work and that's what I ask of you here in the Fitness forum:

BREAKFAST

Now it's usually either porridge with banana mixed into it, OR some poached eggs on toast with some ham/mushrooms. I would previously miss this entirely !

MID-MORNING

I eat an apple or an orange but usually nothing more. I guess unsalted nuts would be good but when supermarkets seem to charge £2.50 for a tiny bag I don't really buy them =/

LUNCH

Honestly - it's usually 2 jacket potatoes with cheese, and a bit of salad by the side. I need more variety here please!!

AFTERNOON

I've probably read something wrong on a website somewhere but here I have peanut butter (some Meridian stuff that just has 2 ingredients or something) and sliced banana on wholegrain toast. (<-- is wholegrain/wholemeal toast worth the extra money?)

DINNER

If I can afford it I try to eat chicken at least three times a week which is either in the form of making a curry + rice, or just cooking the breasts with a sauce and eating it with some boiled potatoes. I don't eat seafood (don't ask!!) so other things I might have pasta for dinner a couple of times.

This probably seems f-all to you in terms of what I eat but I honestly did used to eat waaaay less. So I really want actual meal advice and things to eat in the mid-morning/mid-afternoon "gaps". I'm mainly interested in how to balance "Healthy Eating" with "Objectively Eating to Gain Weight" - some of the things I read on the internet for healthy eating seem quite similar to what you are advised to eat to gain weight!

Many thanks!!

ReputationRep:
    Male or Female?

Aims? You make no mention of physical excerise / weightlifting.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ricky116)
    Male or Female?

Aims? You make no mention of physical excerise / weightlifting.
    Male! I've *literally* just this past week been on a google-frenzy for this whole weight gain thing (and yes I have bookmarked Starting Strength, just wanted some constructive friendly advice from fellow TSR members since I barely go into this forum usually ), so I don't really do much physical exercise at the moment! Though obviously once I've cracked a good diet (which can be quickly achieved) I'll get my **** down the gym.

ReputationRep:
    Drink lots of whole milk. Preferably with every meal. There's not a lot of protein there, try to sort that out. If you having trouble getting more protein from food, order some protein powder from myprotein.co.uk. Brotherhood will give you a 5% discount code, you can count on it.

Don't weight around for your diet to start training in the gym; you need to start training yesterday.

ReputationRep:
    Its much better than many people's diets ive seen, but for someone trying to gain muscle i would say you need to add some more protein in there. For your lunch for example try tuna with your potato ( people often say they dislike seafood, but like tuna, so meh, its a great gym food)
    Breakfast is good, you cannot go wrong with porridge, and dinner is alright, keep eating your meat.
    If you like cheese, may i recommend cottage cheese as my best find for ages, 1 600g tub has 80g of protein, so eat half as a snack in afternoon or morning or whatever, and it also has about 1% fat , contrary to most people's beliefs. Good to see you redcognising the importance of nutrition tho.

Drink calshake / fortisip or get some caloreen to add to drinks.

ReputationRep:
    At tesco 250g bags of unsalted nuts and fruit are like 55p

ReputationRep:
    where are you veggies?? (apart from potatoe, you need some more greens)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mark Rippetoe)
    Drink lots of whole milk. Preferably with every meal. There's not a lot of protein there, try to sort that out. If you having trouble getting more protein from food, order some protein powder from myprotein.co.uk. Brotherhood will give you a 5% discount code, you can count on it.

Don't weight around for your diet to start training in the gym; you need to start training yesterday.
    **** off Smed.

ReputationRep:

I don't knock you for doing it, I don't know why you get so touchy.

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.