Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Please keep this anon as my girlfriend and our friends also use TSR and she has yet to explain things to them.

Basically she has just been told her hospital date for an operation which is in a month or so. She has never had to stay in hospital for a prolonged period of time so the two weeks she is said to be in for will be really quite a lengthy thing for her.

I know how boring hospitals can get, aswell as lonely and so on, and I was trying to think of little things I could do to make it easier for her. Aside from phonecalls and text mesages, I want to do/give her nice little things each visiting hour to lift her spirits and let her know that I care very much about her. I was thinking of things along the lines of a nice gift that would perhaps be comforting to her, write her a letter with general nice things in... that is all I could think of though, as pathetic as it sounds.

Can anyone offer me any advice or suggestions? Anything is welcome. As well as making her hospital stay a little more pleasant, I want to show her how much I care for and love her.

Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    chocolate, books, some smelly stuff, its nice to smell nice in hospital, magazines

anything but flowers :tongue:

ReputationRep:
    A good book would be nice

I would like things a little less ordinary and expected, if you know what I mean. I have already thought of taking in a little bag of her favourite chocolate sweets and perhaps a book that she'd enjoy if I could find one (although I would be hard pushed to find one she hasn't read, I think). Thankyou for your suggestions though.

ReputationRep:
    Definitely write her letters. Get her like CDs so she has something to listen to, and definitely books. Like thoughtful stuff that she can actually occupy herself with as well. 'Cos being in hospital is booooooooooooooooooringggggggggg gggg. After she's just had the operation though will she be sleeping a lot? Two weeks sounds like a long time, is it major? So maybe not such taxing stuff around that time, chocolate, grapes (:awesome:), pretty cushions and trinkets and stuff (that's just me though, I like **** like that)... I'm actually mentally planning this in my head, I don't know why...

And I'm sure smelly stuff can't hurt. :cute:

Haha. Thankyou very much littleshambles. If you can plan it out in your head better than I can that would be a help! It isn't a major operation as such but it's definitely not minor, I think the reason she will be in for such a time is generally so they can keep an eye on her and because the healing takes quite the time itself. It will be horrible between visiting times, for her mostly I know that, but only being able to see her for two or three hours of the entire day when I know she will want and need me there will be difficult, hence my main reasoning behind the little ideas.

Anyone else?

ReputationRep:
    I was in hospital for a week last year for a couple of operations on my hand, and the gifts i appreciated the most were those that kept me occupied. I swear in that week i got through about 5 books and even more DVDs.

So yeh, books, magazines, DVDs with a portable DVD player/laptop are best. Seeing as it's a girlfriend maybe something "nice" as well (teddy or something).
    TBH though, the best gift you could actually give is just coming in every day and waiting hand and foot on her.

Thankyou hoonosewot. I will definitely be in as much as I can to see her and treat her the best I can whilst in there and when she is allowed home.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 29, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.