Turn on thread page Beta

How soon is now? watch

So, in a few weeks I have to leave my girlfriend to go to uni, and am clearly going to be meeting new people (i.e. girls). So, how soon is too soon to start getting off with other girls and sleeping around etc.?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    So, in a few weeks I have to leave my girlfriend to go to uni, and am clearly going to be meeting new people (i.e. girls). So, how soon is too soon to start getting off with other girls and sleeping around etc.?
    Long distance relationship? Or are you really that shallow...

Well, to be honest, if you're thinking about it like that before you even go, why stop yourself as soon as you get there? You're clearly only asking so that you come across as decent, but actually being so... well...

(Original post by Mad Vlad)
    Long distance relationship? Or are you really that shallow...
    I don't mean that the only thing holding me back is the restraint of public opinion, I just want to know about other's opinions, experiences, and when they think is an 'appropriate' (urgh) time to go back into the whole relationship thing.

ReputationRep:
    I don't mean that the only thing holding me back is the restraint of public opinion, I just want to know about other's opinions, experiences, and when they think is an 'appropriate' (urgh) time to go back into the whole relationship thing.
    Sorry, that's left me none the wiser... :unsure:

ReputationRep:
    Assuming you are breaking up before you head off to uni then you are free to get with girls on the first day if you want. No need for a cooling down period at 17/18 in my opinion, particularly when you are moving away.

ReputationRep:
    How soon is now?

Too soon.

(Original post by Mad Vlad)
    Sorry, that's left me none the wiser... http://static.thestudentroom.co.uk/i...ies/unsure.gif
    I mean like the whole 'cooling off' period. What do people view as 'normal'?

ReputationRep:
    i am the sun...and the air...

ReputationRep:
    Cooling off period generally depends on how long you've been together.

Generally its said to be a month for every year that you've been together, who figured that out though I dont know.

ReputationRep:
    I say just go for it when you feel like it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Socialite)
    Well I'm the son and heir....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by timetokill)
    Cooling off period generally depends on how long you've been together.

Generally its said to be a month for every year that you've been together, who figured that out though I dont know.
    How many men do you know, that upon breaking away from a 12 year relationship, would leave it a whole year before they got with anyone else? :p:

(Or women - but I would imagine they'd handle the wait better)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by oo_Lucinda_oo)
    How many men do you know, that upon breaking away from a 12 year relationship, would leave it a whole year before they got with anyone else? :p:

(Or women - but I would imagine they'd handle the wait better)
    I dont, which is why I said that I have no idea who thought that up as it seems a silly concept (esp with longer term relationships)

Although 12 years and a year doesnt seem unreasonable to me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LawBore)
    Well I'm the son and heir....
    aha! i never actually look up the lyrics for anything, for me it will always be sun and air lol
    i expect the phonetic ambiguity is what they intended...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by timetokill)

Although 12 years and a year doesnt seem unreasonable to me.
    You're joking right? :confused:

ReputationRep:
    Never too soon, Playa. Start rounding up the cattle the second you get to the ranch.

ReputationRep:
    Honestly, what makes you think you'll get a relationship as soon as you enter the university? Admit it, you want one-night stands, therefore you shouldn't bother with a long distance relationship and break it off before you go to uni...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by emmie19)
    Honestly, what makes you think you'll get a relationship as soon as you enter the university? Admit it, you want one-night stands, therefore you shouldn't bother with a long distance relationship and break it off before you go to uni...
    Well, are everyone at uni that shallow? Doesn't seem like there is anyone my age who wants to do something more than shagging.....

ReputationRep:
    Do what you want OP. Who's living your life - you or the 'public'?

(Original post by The Socialite)
    Of a shyness that is criminally vulgar
    I am the son and heir... of nothing inparticular.

My thoughts exactly, Socialite. :awesome:

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 30, 2009
Poll
Is the Big Bang theory correct?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.