Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

A quick question about student finance watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I have applied for student finance online etc etc and its all in the works. However i dont remember seeing any mention of the maintenance grant, the money that does not need to be paid off.

Is this automatically added to your application if you qualify for the means tested amount and are going to recieve the full amount available?
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    You'll get a letter from them at some point confirming everything you're going to get in detail. Nothing is official until you get this letter.

ReputationRep:
    thank you for your quick reply i was getting last minute worry lol thinking i have severly messed up my application

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by generalebriety)
    You'll get a letter from them at some point confirming everything you're going to get in detail. Nothing is official until you get this letter.
    May I ask you something too please?
    I got a letter stating the money I was entitled to, not including with parent's earnings included, and you had to sign it and send it back. After thinking to myself 'have they forgotten to income asses me?' I phoned them up and they said it was standard procedure, I needed to sign it, send it back and then they would income asses me.

However, after sending that letter back - and not hearing any further correspondence - my status is now 'approved' on the website. Is that because they have completely forgotten and they now think it's the end of it, or because they have accepted my Dad's evidence (which they have had for 3 months) and are about to send me another letter to confirm the income assessed one?

The fact that it says 'Approved' makes me think that they think it's over ...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Craig_D)
    May I ask you something too please?
    I got a letter stating the money I was entitled to, not including with parent's earnings included, and you had to sign it and send it back. After thinking to myself 'have they forgotten to income asses me?' I phoned them up and they said it was standard procedure, I needed to sign it, send it back and then they would income asses me.

However, after sending that letter back - and not hearing any further correspondence - my status is now 'approved' on the website. Is that because they have completely forgotten and they now think it's the end of it, or because they have accepted my Dad's evidence (which they have had for 3 months) and are about to send me another letter to confirm the income assessed one?

The fact that it says 'Approved' makes me think that they think it's over ...
    That is their standard procedure to approve it to make sure you get atleast some sort of finance. They haven't forgotten about it.

And if they have had your dads information for 3months (and assuming its only your dad's you needed to provide) then to be honest it should of been processed before you needed to sign it surely? I think they may have lost your information. Login into your account and click "View Correspondence" to see any recent letters they may have sent which you have not seen yet.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thug05)
    That is their standard procedure to approve it to make sure you get atleast some sort of finance. They haven't forgotten about it.

And if they have had your dads information for 3months (and assuming its only your dad's you needed to provide) then to be honest it should of been processed before you needed to sign it surely? I think they may have lost your information. Login into your account and click "View Correspondence" to see any recent letters they may have sent which you have not seen yet.
    Thank you very much :yep:

Well yeah, you would think so! It's definitely the only one they need, they said so on the phone :dontknow: First they seemed to lose it, and said they wanted another one, then they found it and decided it wasn't the right form, then they said it was right again But that was perhaps a month ago. So now we're waiting for that to go through, if they haven't forgotten it!

I went on view correspondence and there's a 'payment schedule letter' which I cannot view. Also, there are now the loan payments listed in the View Payments (I expect the letter would say the same thing?). The total amount on there (seeing as it's done in thirds) is less than the total amount i could have claimed without the evidence for grants - as it should be, as it was on the old letter (it warned 'you can claim more' but I knew that it's naturally reduced it if you get a grant, so i left it) but that's somewhat nerve wracking as if they forgotten the grants then I will have to survive on even less than if I was not income assessed. Fingers crossed.

Anyway, again, thank you!

ReputationRep:
    Contact them to make sure you have applied for the income assessment. On the online form, there is a box that you have to tick to indicate that you want to do this. I think it is the same on the paper based equivelent.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: July 29, 2009
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.