Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I have just finished my IGCSEs and GCSEs however I did not have the option to do Economics (only Business Studies where I expect an A/A*), would it be very difficult to do Economics SL without having done it at GCSE?

Thank you for your answers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by timodb)
    I have just finished my IGCSEs and GCSEs however I did not have the option to do Economics (only Business Studies where I expect an A/A*), would it be very difficult to do Economics SL without having done it at GCSE?

Ofcourse you can - IB economics is pretty simple and starts from the basics.

ReputationRep:

well, if ur talkin' bout A-levels then you don require GCSE economics for it. They start from the very bottom. However, if it is possible then please don't take business studies at A-levels... Universities absolutely hate it. Furthermore, if you do economics as well as BS at A-levels, chances are that top unis won't even think bout takin u in.... BS and eco are fairly related to the point of being similar. Bonne Chance!

ReputationRep:
    You will be surprised that you are not far behind to students who had done GCSE Economics and its easy for you to catch up.

ReputationRep:
    No prob, if u like maths ur officially on

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by spaceman1234)
    No prob, if u like maths ur officially on
    I plan on taking Maths HL so that should be ok, thank you for your answers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jc_bach)
    You will be surprised that you are not far behind to students who had done GCSE Economics and its easy for you to catch up.
    Do you think it's possible for me to take it at HL? I'm pretty strong in maths; finishing my GCSE in one year and gaining an A* then completing Additional Maths (Cambridge exam board) in the second year (expecting an A)... thank you for your support

Also, that would mean that I would take Economics HL and Business and Management HL. Do you think this would be difficult for university applications?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by master135)
    Ofcourse you can - IB economics is pretty simple and starts from the basics.
    Do you think it's possible for me to take it at HL? I'm pretty strong in maths; finishing my GCSE in one year and gaining an A* then completing Additional Maths (Cambridge exam board) in the second year (expecting an A)... thank you for your support

Also, that would mean that I would take Economics HL and Business and Management HL. Do you think this would be difficult for university applications?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by un_gars_romatinque)
    well, if ur talkin' bout A-levels then you don require GCSE economics for it. They start from the very bottom. However, if it is possible then please don't take business studies at A-levels... Universities absolutely hate it. Furthermore, if you do economics as well as BS at A-levels, chances are that top unis won't even think bout takin u in.... BS and eco are fairly related to the point of being similar. Bonne Chance!
    Economics is well regarded

ReputationRep:
    you dont need any maths to do economics -v- at least for the next 2 years.
    yeah of course you are capable to do HL
    what do you mean by difficult? you mean to get high scores?

ReputationRep:
    Almost everybody taking economics for the IB has no previous experience, GCSE economics is quite rare.
    There's very little maths in the actual course, but people who can think mathematically are supposedly better at economics, and maths would be necessary to do an economics degree.

ReputationRep:

Economics is one of those IB courses where the HL is almost as easy as the SL...theres not much difference... so you should have no problem. IB economics has no math in its curriculum.

ReputationRep:
    IB economics has no math in its curriculum.
    up till now and at least the next 2 years. IB is changing its economics syllabus so that there's more maths content in it eg. calculus and finding marginal cost using differentiation.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jc_bach)
    up till now and at least the next 2 years. IB is changing its economics syllabus so that there's more maths content in it eg. calculus and finding marginal cost using differentiation.
    They have already released the new 2012 syllabus? Surprising they would include calculus...

ReputationRep:
    They have already released the new 2012 syllabus? Surprising they would include calculus...
    im not sure is it 2012 or 2013, but yeah they include some calculus (coz teachers complain there's little/no maths content) and drop out theory of the firm!!

ReputationRep:
    Absolutely, you can do either SL or HL - there is basically no difference in the syllabus, though exams for SL are easier.

In our Economics group I had experience in Business Studies (which did help me a little) and everyone else had no such experience at all. No one got less than a 4 in HL Economics and SLs all got 6 or above. It really is not difficult and is surprisingly simple. I would rather take HL though - SL is pretty much the same syllabus but misses out on a few key points (like economies of scale) and other very simple (and even very interesting) things. Maths is so far hardly required. The hardest calculation is probably the multiplier, which requires DIVISION (oooh!). So no worries there either.

ReputationRep:
    Definitely, I did Economics HL with no prior knowledge in economics.
    I would have to agree that HL and SL economics do not have a huge difference when it comes to the exam, as you can pick questions however I would say that HL studies a lot more interesting things (like Theory of the Firms). Also beware that the syllabus change will also change the exam question style. The questions will include parts from all sections of the textbook, so you can't not study a section anymore.

ReputationRep:
    If they're increasing the mathematical requirements, wouldn't they do the same for physics (calculus)?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ragnar_jonsson)
    If they're increasing the mathematical requirements, wouldn't they do the same for physics (calculus)?
    The physics syllabus JUST changed (09) so it wont be changing for atleast another 4-5 years..

ReputationRep:
    The physics syllabus JUST changed (09) so it wont be changing for atleast another 4-5 years..
    wouldn't be extremely silly to include calculus in economics, but exclude it from physics?
    just sounds v. far-fetched to me.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Applying to university
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.