Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    my room on campus isn't ensuite so it doesn't have a built in aerial socket thing in my room and so i'm wanting to use an indoor aerial to receive the tv signal.

what's the reception like in lancaster? is it worth purchasing an aerial?

ReputationRep:
    depends where you are... it varies from passable to non existant.. .

ReputationRep:
    Which college? I don't know abount main campus, but on SW I could not get Channel 5 and Channel 4 was almost unwatchable.
    People with Freeview boxes did better.

ReputationRep:
    in furness. my tv has a built in freeview tuner.

ReputationRep:
    Just buy a Freeview box, they aren't that expensive and will get you great signal for all the channels you need to watch, i.e., E4 and music channels :P

ReputationRep:
    What is bowland college like for signal? Im thinking of bringing mine but wasnt sure. Also will there be much point becasue of the digital switch over? I dont know when that is in lancaster?
    (I dont have a freeview box/the money to buy one)

ReputationRep:
    I was in groundfloor Furness standard last year and got absolutely no signal on my TV [with built in freeview] so I gave up and used my TV as my monitor and for DVDs. I wouldn't buy anything until you get there. There is a shop on campus that sells boosters and such and he was really friendly when I moved in and said I could return things if they were no good. He did say though that in some rooms, like mine, it is near impossible to get reception. You have iPlayer etc if you have a PC/laptop though and there is a TV room near the bar in Furness College anyway.

ReputationRep:
    this maybe a really retarded question to some, but im not clear in which instance we are required to purchase a TV licence..(i apologize for poaching your thread OP) .. if i want to take a TV to just hook up my xbox and watch dvds on do i need a licence as long as im not intending to watch or recieve TV signal? or do i have to have a licence simply because there is a TV set in my room? thanks guys

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Holli2011)
    this maybe a really retarded question to some, but im not clear in which instance we are required to purchase a TV licence..(i apologize for poaching your thread OP) .. if i want to take a TV to just hook up my xbox and watch dvds on do i need a licence as long as im not intending to watch or recieve TV signal? or do i have to have a licence simply because there is a TV set in my room? thanks guys
    You don't need one. I had a TV plugged into my laptop [so I could use it as a monitor] and my DVD player and didn't have one as you require a license if you recieve live broadcasts.

Most people seem to be sent letters from the TV licensing people - there were always boxes of "to the occupier" letters in our post room - but I don't think anyone had any problems and they are not allowed on the premises should they ever visit [unlikely as a visit is]. You can tell them you don't have a TV for live broadcast recieving purposes but it is probably easier not to bother. After all, you are not doing anything wrong.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by affinity89)
    You can tell them you don't have a TV for live broadcast recieving purposes but it is probably easier not to bother. After all, you are not doing anything wrong.
    Please please please do not contact them at all. All you are doing by contacting them is confirming that the residence is occupied and providing them with a specific contact them allowing them to more easily target you with mail or aid an inspector in attempting to gain entry.

You are under absoloutly no legal requirement to contact or inform them of anything.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Reue)
    Please please please do not contact them at all. All you are doing by contacting them is confirming that the residence is occupied and providing them with a specific contact them allowing them to more easily target you with mail or aid an inspector in attempting to gain entry.

You are under absoloutly no legal requirement to contact or inform them of anything.
    I didn't.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.