Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    hi everyone,

I'm about to pick my subjects for the IB Diploma, I'm Danish but I've not lived in Denmark for 4 years, however I still consider myself fluent in the language. Do you think it would be easier to take an AB initio language that I haven't done before or (if possible) self study Danish B SL?

Thank you for your answers

ReputationRep:
    Do you mean your school offers danish B? If you say you could easily handle danish B (just comprehension and writing 300 words) then i would say go for it. In my opinion learning a new language is tough, esp if you're doing the IB where you hv many things to do already.

ReputationRep:
    It doesn't offer Danish B but I think I have the opportunity to do a subject by myself, so I could study for any extra Danish material during that second language session?
    Again, thank you for your help

ReputationRep:
    but where you would find a supervisor/teacher to moderate your IAs? thats your two orals!!

ReputationRep:
    Oh, I didn't realize you needed a teacher to do that, I'll check with my school when I go there on Monday. Thank you for your help

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jc_bach)
    but where you would find a supervisor/teacher to moderate your IAs? thats your two orals!!
    I did Self Study Swedish A1 and my orals were moderated by an IB examiner. When doing Self Study a teacher can not give a grade for the orals, the IB does. However, I did have a teacher from my school sitting with me while I recorded the orals to be sent in

As to answer your question, I think it would be better for you to do Abinitio and get a really good grade rather then self study as you never end up doing anything for self study!
    • PS Helper

PS Helper
    Some unis (NB: not all) have policies whereby they don't accept a language at A-level/IB/whatever if it's your mother tongue... so a French applicant wouldn't be able to use French A-level or French SL or whatever to get an offer; it might be the same with you. It depends on whether you were born+raised in Denmark or speaking Danish... so if you're going to self-teach Danish B SL, it's a good idea to do something else as well.

ReputationRep:
    I'd go for Danish A1 SL self-taught.
    Or pick an ab initio language that you have some knowledge in

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ragnar_jonsson)
    I'd go for Danish A1 SL self-taught.
    Or pick an ab initio language that you have some knowledge in
    Danish A1? Would that still count as a group 2 subject?

ReputationRep:
    nope thats group 1, you can do two A1s if you wish, but i dont recommend that, your workload would double instantly.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
    Applying to university
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.