Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    hi everyone,

I'm about to pick my subjects for the IB Diploma, I'm Danish but I've not lived in Denmark for 4 years, however I still consider myself fluent in the language. Do you think it would be easier to take an AB initio language that I haven't done before or (if possible) self study Danish B SL?

Thank you for your answers

ReputationRep:
    Do you mean your school offers danish B? If you say you could easily handle danish B (just comprehension and writing 300 words) then i would say go for it. In my opinion learning a new language is tough, esp if you're doing the IB where you hv many things to do already.

ReputationRep:
    It doesn't offer Danish B but I think I have the opportunity to do a subject by myself, so I could study for any extra Danish material during that second language session?
    Again, thank you for your help

ReputationRep:
    but where you would find a supervisor/teacher to moderate your IAs? thats your two orals!!

ReputationRep:
    Oh, I didn't realize you needed a teacher to do that, I'll check with my school when I go there on Monday. Thank you for your help

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jc_bach)
    but where you would find a supervisor/teacher to moderate your IAs? thats your two orals!!
    I did Self Study Swedish A1 and my orals were moderated by an IB examiner. When doing Self Study a teacher can not give a grade for the orals, the IB does. However, I did have a teacher from my school sitting with me while I recorded the orals to be sent in

As to answer your question, I think it would be better for you to do Abinitio and get a really good grade rather then self study as you never end up doing anything for self study!
    • PS Helper

PS Helper
    Some unis (NB: not all) have policies whereby they don't accept a language at A-level/IB/whatever if it's your mother tongue... so a French applicant wouldn't be able to use French A-level or French SL or whatever to get an offer; it might be the same with you. It depends on whether you were born+raised in Denmark or speaking Danish... so if you're going to self-teach Danish B SL, it's a good idea to do something else as well.

ReputationRep:
    I'd go for Danish A1 SL self-taught.
    Or pick an ab initio language that you have some knowledge in

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ragnar_jonsson)
    I'd go for Danish A1 SL self-taught.
    Or pick an ab initio language that you have some knowledge in
    Danish A1? Would that still count as a group 2 subject?

ReputationRep:
    nope thats group 1, you can do two A1s if you wish, but i dont recommend that, your workload would double instantly.

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Applying to university
Uni match

Your perfect course is here

Let our match making tool match you up with your ideal uni

Make your revision easier

Study Help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.