Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    :eek: :eek3: OKAY! So I need everyone's help!
    I am doing a project for the IB student body.

I need your opinion on the IB program.
    What was bad about it
    What was good about it
    Funny joke about it
    Any wise advice
    a quote from your IB teacher?
    ANYTHING!

Here's an Example:
    Before IB... I had a great life! Friends, parties and just junk like that! Now that I am in IB... the only friend I have are the people in my study group and the parties I go to are parties held to study. the end.

I would like to have opinions from pre-IB and current IB and post IB!

Thank you! that would seriously help me a lot! :woo:

ReputationRep:
    Before I went to IB I didn't have much homework, I slept for at least 6 hours, had many friends outside the IB, remembered small things as what color was my skirt yesterday.

After the IB program I feel guilty when I don't have an essay to write, suspicious that I at the end HAVE to write something, my mind is blank , but I clearly remember writing F*CK U IB!!! all over my books after the final exams :>

one thing I did learn - improvisation :>

post IB

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by laurcha)
    Funny joke about it
    Regular teacher to regular students: now write your name on this notecard.

Student 1: OK
    Student 2: This is easy!

IB Teacher to IB students: now write your name on this notecard

IB Student 1: how big?
    IB Student 2: which corner?
    IB Student 3: cursive or print?
    IB Student 4: do we need to put our whole middle name or just our middle initial?
    IB Student 5: What if we don't have a middle name?
    IB Student 6: Is pencil okay?
    IB Student 7: Do you want it on the side with lines or the blank side?

ReputationRep:
    I haven't done IB yet but I already don't like it much... My school gave us summer homework Why would they do something like that...?

You know you're in IB when:

Relatives that have been dead for years come visit you and suggest that you get some sleep.

You discover the aesthetic beauty of school supplies.:rolleyes:

You begin to talk to yourself, then disagree about the subject, get into a nasty row about it, lose, and refuse to talk to yourself for the rest of the day.:confused:

You say the same sentence over and over again, not realizing you've said it before.

You say the same sentence over and over again, not realizing you've said it before.

The Sun is too loud.:yes:

You wonder if brewing is an essential step in the consumption of coffee.:eek:

Things become "Very Clear".

from http://www.geocities.com/calcfreak901/ib.html love this site!

ReputationRep:
    It's interesting and the diversity of the courses (if you're lucky) is great. It is a fine experience for learning, but keeping up a high GPA is not easy.

ReputationRep:
    Is this for a joke project or a serious one?

ReputationRep:
    What was bad about it: ending at 5pm each night whilst A level stuents were at home
    What was good about it: the work load...sadly enough I loved doing the EE :erm:

sadly enough before the IB I had no social life oddly enough thanks to the IB I do...explain this to me?

Any wise advice: REVIEW YOUR NOTES, DO NOT WAIT TILL THE LAST MINUTE!!!
    a quote from your IB teacher?: ''That's not in the spirit of the IB'' was said quite a lot :p:

Current IB

ReputationRep:
    Good: Coming from the US, being in the IB program has it's benefits. Some universities LOVE IB kids like the University of Florida. I feel like I have had a great education thus far that I wouldn't have had if I chose to do some other program. I don't regret doing IB.

Now the bad: I have had no social life. I spend hours studying and I feel sleep deprived much of the time. I'm prone to procrastination now, which I wasn't before.

Advice: Don't procrastinate! Take lots of naps.

I'm about to start my final year of IB.

ReputationRep:
    I'm post-IB.

Before IB I thought that 7 hours of sleep was normal, but then once I'd started it became extravagant to get 5 hours :p: plus we all resigned ourselves to the fact that it was impossible to get absolutely everything in on time.

Advice: IA's are a lot more important than you think they are. Start revising early, and try to keep on top of your work.

Quote from our slightly over-enthusiastic IBC: "The IB's da bomb! DO THE IB - no regrets!"

ReputationRep:
    I'm current IB.

Bad points: My friends from different colleges tried to come in and visit me..I have like 2 frees so this didn't work :nn:
    Good points: Currently struggling with a huge amount of holiday homework and so am finding it hard to think of a good point :tongue: Nah, my IB mates are pretty awesome.

ReputationRep:
    This is the favourite joke of my year, a friend had it on his facebook status and I've never seen so many people 'Like' something -

"When you're in IB, the phrase "I got five hours of Action last night" means something completely different."

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RunningUpThatHill)
    This is the favourite joke of my year, a friend had it on his facebook status and I've never seen so many people 'Like' something -

"When you're in IB, the phrase "I got five hours of Action last night" means something completely different."
    That may be the best IB joke I've ever heard

EDIT:

Oh, and to actually be ontopic:

I finished IB about two years ago, so its possible that I've merely forgotten my suffering in lieu of university, but I really can't say that I remember IB as being impossibly difficult or time-consuming. With the exception of two or so weeks in March when it seemed all of my papers were due (Wold Lit, EE, etc.) and the final exams, I don't think I had much more work than non-IB people.

Having said this, it also depends on your teachers. If your teachers teach properly and explain the main ideas to you, then it is much easier (and less time-consuming) to then apply those ideas to essays, problem sets, exam prep, etc. On the other hand, if your teachers just expect you to do all of your work on your own, then you will likely have a much harder time getting through all of the material. It also doesn't help that the "time estimates" in the IB syllabi are completely unrepresentative of how long it actually takes to cover a specific section. This is not only a problem for self-teaching, but also for new teachers who are not familiar with the program and exams and therefore choose to follow the IB guidelines to the tee.

In short, I think that with good teachers and an IBC that knows what he/she is doing, the IB can be an enjoyable experience. Of course, students are expected to be academically motivated and focus on schoolwork, but I wouldn't say that you're expected to have no "life" or free time while in IB.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RunningUpThatHill)

I love that made me lol so much

+rep tomorrow

ReputationRep:
    ib ****** me up real good.
    and made me a paranoid procrastinator that i am.

ReputationRep:
    Currently and IB student.
    I really don't see what the big fuzz is abt... have plenty of friends outside of IB, in fact all my best friends don't even go to school near me. I have such an amazing schedule!! I finish at 1.10pm monday, tuesday and friday. At 11.50am on thurs. only wednesday is a pain when I finish at 4.45 pm. I get good enough grades so far... though i agree with the last comment "it has made me the paranoid procrastinator that i am"

dont know if ur still interested at all, but:
    quote: my facebook status was something like
    "i dont know what homework facebook helps with...but its part of the IB procastination process" and my friend comments "the I in IB means just that...that that the whole procrastination is something international"

ReputationRep:
    Wait for second year :p:

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Applying to university
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.