Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    ''If the reciprocal equation, f(x) = 0, is of odd degree, and therefore has an odd number of roots, one of these must be its own reciprocal.'' How can this be possibly proven?

ReputationRep:
    What is a "reciprocal equation"? Answer that, and you should have a good idea of what to do next.
    • PS Helper

PS Helper
    (Original post by DFranklin)
    What is a "reciprocal equation"? Answer that, and you should have a good idea of what to do next.
    I'm guessing it's an equation of the form a_0 + a_1x + a_2x^2 + \cdots + a_{n-1}x^{n-1} + a_nx^n = 0, where a_i = a_{n-i}... so for example 3x^5 + 2x^4 + x^3 + x^2 + 2x + 3 = 0 would be one.

OP: I'm not 100% sure if this is the way to go about it, but if \mbox{f}(x) = a_0 + a_1x + a_2x^2 + \cdots + a_nx^n = 0 for some constants a_i and odd n, then you can make the substitution x = u^2 so that you get a_0 + a_1u^2 + \cdots + a_nu^{2n} and then divide through by u_n so that you get \left( \dfrac{a_0}{u^n} + a_nu^n \right) + \left( \dfrac{a_1}{u^{n-2}} + a_{n-1}u^{n-2} \right) + \cdots + \left( \dfrac{a_{(n-1)/2}}{u} + a_{(n+1)/2}u \right), and then the replace a_{n-i} by a_i (since they're equal), giving you a_0\left( \dfrac{1}{u^n} + u^n \right) + a_1\left( \dfrac{1}{u^{n-2}} + u^{n-2} \right) + \cdots + a_{(n-1)/2}\left( \dfrac{1}{u} + u \right), and then the replace a_{n-i} by a_i. From there the substitution z = \dfrac{1}{u} + u might be of use. This is total guesswork (and may lead to nothing useful).

EDIT: I'm fairly sure that what I've done will get you absolutely nowhere, but it does lead to some interesting stuff if you follow it far enough (none of it is relevant to what you want though).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nuodai)
    I'm guessing it's an equation of the form a_0 + a_1x + a_2x^2 + \cdots + a_{n-1}x^{n-1} + a_nx^n = 0, where a_i = a_{n-i}... so for example 3x^5 + 2x^4 + x^3 + x^2 + 2x + 3 = 0 would be one.
    Yes, I can guess too, but (a) what's the point of guessing when the OP knows the asnwer? and (b) I had a reason for wanting the OP to answer in his own words.

hint
    Why do you think it's an equation of that form? There's nothing in what you say that has anything obvious to do with reciprocals.
    This is total guesswork (and may lead to nothing useful).
    That looks like complete overkill, to be honest.

Spoiler:
    Show
    You might want to consider the relation between f(x) and f(1/x).
    • PS Helper

PS Helper
    Yes, I can guess too, but (a) what's the point of guessing when the OP knows the asnwer? and (b) I had a reason for wanting the OP to answer in his own words.

hint
    Why do you think it's an equation of that form? There's nothing in what you say that has anything obvious to do with reciprocals.
    Because Google led me to this :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nuodai)
    Because Google led me to this :p:
    But evidently it didn't lead you to read up to the third sentence in the article... :p:
    • PS Helper

PS Helper
    But evidently it didn't lead you to read up to the third sentence in the article... :p:
    :o:

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: July 29, 2009

University open days

1. University of Edinburgh
    All Departments Undergraduate
    Sat, 22 Sep '18
  2. University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Days - Penryn Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 22 Sep '18
  3. Loughborough University
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 22 Sep '18
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.