Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

I am not sure if I should bother.

My boyfriend of 5 yrs lied to me about something that is important to me, but not to him. Obviously I was very angry about this, he has never lied about anything before.

I've asked him to move out but he seems to be under the impression that it's for 'space', whereas I am trying to break up with him...

I mean, I could forgive him but I will always remember that he lied to me and that he could do it again. Or I could let him go. Yes, I do love him but at no point during this has he said he loves me or that he doesn't want to leave, so I think he is just looking for an easy get out at this point...

I'm off to work now but any replies would be appreciated.

ReputationRep:
    The only thing I can advise is that you pack up all his stuff, and tell him very seriously that it is over and that you can't trust him and you want him to leave. There's no point pussyfooting around it - or he'll just assume everything is peachy!!! Its not fair on either of you to let him go on thinking its just 'a break'. You need to be firm and just tell it to him straight.
    If what he lied about was important to you, and he knew it would be, and you honestly don't feel that you can trust him again, tell him this and say its over.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, sounds like you need to take control of the situation and give him the kicking out he deserves. Perhaps some ceremonial throwing of his clothes out the window might get the message accross?
    Good luck anyway

ReputationRep:
    5 years relationship down drain because he lied about something. Nit of an over-reaction. Unless is was something massive............

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mickeyfit)
    The only thing I can advise is that you pack up all his stuff, and tell him very seriously that it is over and that you can't trust him and you want him to leave.
    Totally agree. There is no need for u to keep the relationship. U need to embark on a new love life. Date other guys. U will find there are many greater and nicer guys outside. Be brave,my girl.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Joel-M)
    5 years relationship down drain because he lied about something. Nit of an over-reaction. Unless is was something massive............
    I agree with this.

OP you need to grow up. He lied once in 5 years? complete over-reaction :yes:

ReputationRep:
    Telling him to move out isn't breaking up. If you want to break up with him, you should at least have the decency to do it rather than dodge the issue.

What did he lie about anyway? If you want an actual opinion you might need to reveal a bit more to the story (that's the whole point of being anon).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gjaykay)
    OP you need to grow up. He lied once in 5 years? complete over-reaction :yes:
    I disagree, it depends entirely upon the gravity of that one lie.

One lie is enough to destroy a relationship.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Smile88egc)
    Yeah, sounds like you need to take control of the situation and give him the kicking out he deserves. Perhaps some ceremonial throwing of his clothes out the window might get the message accross?
    Good luck anyway
    Or she could do the mature, rational thing and tell him like most adults would do. How do you even know he deserves it? Everyone lies from time to time even if they have good intentions.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Yes, I do love him but at no point during this has he said he loves me or that he doesn't want to leave, so I think he is just looking for an easy get out at this point...
    You can't tell him to do something and then hold it against him because you expect him to fight against it? How is that fair?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Morlock)
    I disagree, it depends entirely upon the gravity of that one lie.

One lie is enough to destroy a relationship.
    No.

several spur-of-the-moment, as opposed to planned lies destroy a relationship. Due to spur of the moment ones being harder to remember and if you say enough of them then you'll forget and it'll all come crashing down.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gjaykay)
    No.
    I can think of multiple scenarios where a single lie can destroy an otherwise happy relationship. Truth that is important to some, is not to others.

ReputationRep:
    LMAo at contrast between girls and boy responses

ReputationRep:
    What did he lie about? Might make us a bit more sympathetic if it's not just some silly thing.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 29, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Are unpaid trial work shifts fair?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.