Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Well, im going to move to the UK starting september for Leeds Uni, but the problem is i have to change my orthodontist too. So, does anybody know what are the prices in Leeds for the monthly braces adjustment and co? Any answer would be of great help really.

ReputationRep:
    Isn't it free if you are still in Education?

ReputationRep:
    Thats hat I thought yeah, I get mine free. I'm in 6th form though.

ReputationRep:
    if you need braces, its free while your in full time education e.g. uni but its probs best to check with your dentiset / orthodontist to make sure

ReputationRep:
    well here in my home country it's not free or cheap at all i've been wearing braces for almost an year, but i still have to keep them for another one, that's why im asking. It would be grate to be free though. My orthodontist doesnt know **** about things in the UK :frustrated:

ReputationRep:
    I got braces a few months ago just before I turned 18..so I get it free!

It depends on your age even if you are in uni if you are over 18 when you come into the UK then you will have to pay for treatment and go to a private orthodontist..

Its only free for people under 18

Oh and I had to wait for 5 years to get my braces on the NHS.. so you could have a long wait! Unless you pay for them

ReputationRep:
    It's not necessarily free anymore even if you are still in full time education- the NHS has got much stricter on Orthodontic treatment. If I were you i would look into this further.
    Hope this helps.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mirunaz)
    well here in my home country it's not free or cheap at all i've been wearing braces for almost an year, but i still have to keep them for another one, that's why im asking. It would be grate to be free though. My orthodontist doesnt know **** about things in the UK :frustrated:
    We have something called the NHS.

You get free treatment if you are still in education.

So it's probably best to get the braces when you come here.

ReputationRep:
    I doubt you would get free treatment, especially since you are a foreign national.

http://www.bos.org.uk/orthodonticsandyou/nhscharges.htm

ReputationRep:
    oh i see, thank you so much for your answers. I wrote to some clinics asking for information. Does anybody know what are the prices in case you have to pay for braces?

ReputationRep:
    my cousin got braces privately and i think the whole treatment from start to finish cost him £5000, but i guess it would vary from place to place

ReputationRep:
    ahh.. this changing orthodontists can be quite a problem. I know someone who was getting his braces in Hong Kong and they didnt charge anything because the government pays for it. But, he moved to Montreal and the orthodontist there charged him an insane amount because the doctor didnt want to pick up someone else's case. I found out that you can apparently speed up the whole process, the doctor just tightens your braces maybe every week or so as opposed to evry month, but this is only with private orthadontist who are willing to do what you want.
    So my question is, are you getting it privately or from public doctors? if private, just tell your ortho the situation and maybe you can save yourself the hassle

ReputationRep:
    well im getting it privately here in romania and our medical insurance doesnt cover it and i dont think public doctors do braces anyway, long story, stupid system. but as i already have the braces fitted, i think they wont charge me that much...at least i hope so.

ReputationRep:
    I had mine on the NHS, had a 2 year wait...and everything was free on the NHS...maybe you could just go on the NHS for adjustments?

ReputationRep:
    I got this :
    You can have orthodontic treatment under the National Health Service or as a private patient. National Health treatment is free for children up to the age of 18 and students up to the age of 19 based as long as there is a clinical need. Other people entitled to free treatment are patients on a low income, pregnant women and nursing mothers. Everyone else has to pay the NHS charges. There is no charge for treatment in hospital departments.

You will only be entitled to treatment under the NHS if your condition is serious. Minor problems may be classed as cosmetic and would therefore be charged privately.

If you decide to have treatment privately, the orthodontist will be able to estimate the cost of your treatment and give you details. It is always a good idea to discuss the cost fully before treatment and, if necessary, have the cost confirmed in writing to avoid any confusion.
    From here :
    http://www.dentalhealth.org/faqs/lea...p?LeafletID=29
    Also make sure you have the European Health Insurance Card (EHIC), which should hopefully mean you get NHS treatment the same as UK nationals.

ReputationRep:
    thank you so much for all your answers, already got in touch with an orthodontist and i'm sure everything will be way ok cheers!

University open days

1. University of Leeds
    All Departments Undergraduate
    Sat, 8 Sep '18
  2. University of Leeds
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 6 Oct '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.