Should I walk to uni or catch a bus half way and walk? watch

• View Poll Results: Walk or Bus
    Catch a bus and walk halfway
    8.33%
    Walk all the way
    91.67%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jeremy-Bentham)
    So I just went there and back for fun and it was a doddle.
    I bet you won't be saying the same when it's we're into negative temp. and it's pissing down on a dark, December day and you're struggling to make it on time for a morning lecture.

Half an hour walk is a lot. If your uni is in London, definitely take a bus. Outside London the buses suck ****.

ReputationRep:
    1.5 is nothing - why on earth would you catch a bus

ReputationRep:
    Walk.

But in this horrible weather, bus :yep:

Ijust think that by the time you've got to the stop early (just in case), sat on ther horrible skanky suidged up bus!! etc you could be over half way there so just do it anyway. nothing worse than waiting for buses, sitting on them , or having them turn up late. Walk walk walk.

ReputationRep:
    I would sya it depends really...if it is busy roads, there is a roundabout etc...I would get the bus or get the car...if it safe it is straight if you know what i mean walk love...

ReputationRep:
    If you catch buses you're more likely to catch swine flu. :ninja:

ReputationRep:
    Id say walk when the weathers okay, and if it's safe to do so (ie not getting dark early etc).

If your bag is significantly heavy (which it shouldnt be for Uni, as you dont tend to carry textbooks) get the bus.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rapha)
    If you catch buses you're more likely to catch swine flu. :ninja:
    :eek3: :eek3: :eek3: If you breath you're more likely to get lung cancer:eek3: :eek3: :eek3: .

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sephrenia)
    It does get you fitter - I ouwldn't believe the legs I've managed to get since walking to Campus every day!
    Pics are it didn't happen lol.

I might start walking there and back to get some excerise. I used to take my notes with me on long walks so I could revise. I might be able to learn a few notes there and back everyday. Someone should make a walking society lol.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by there's too much love)
    :eek3: :eek3: :eek3: If you breath you're more likely to get lung cancer:eek3: :eek3: :eek3: .
    That's not really something you can avoid, is it?
    • TSR Group Staff

ReputationRep:
    TSR Group Staff
    Someone should make a walking society lol.
    Already is one at my uni.

Considered getting a bike? Would probably be a fair bit quicker (and more economical) to cycle compared to the bus.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dez)
    Already is one at my uni.

Considered getting a bike? Would probably be a fair bit quicker (and more economical) to cycle compared to the bus.
    I can't cycle up hills, after a year of walking when I am more fitter I might cycle. I've got a nice bike just need to train the legs.

ReputationRep:
    Whatever you feel like doing on the day? I walked when it was sunny, caught the bus when it was rainy or I was tired. Not a life-changing decision

In other news, should I tie my laces, or just wear slip-ons?
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    I walk almost 2 miles to Uni every day! You'll be fine!

(Plus it's cheaper)

(Plus I pass a newsagent en route for a paper and snack!)

EDIT: If it is raining, snowing, etc. etc. just take a brolly/warm clothes. You wouldn't 'not walk' because it was a nice day, would you?

ReputationRep:
    1.5 miles to walk is not much really. I used to walk 30 mins to school every day for 7 years so it's easy. Plus, not only is it good daily exercise but you save some money on bus costs. Take the bus on bad winter days though, when it's raining hard or if its freezing cold.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    The way I look at it is, my legs are free, they don't break down, they don't run out of petrol, they don't get punctures, they don't fail to turn up when I really need to be somewhere, and no-one is likely to steal them; so for day-to-day getting around they trump pretty much every other mode of transport going.

ReputationRep:
    Pics are it didn't happen lol.

I might start walking there and back to get some excerise. I used to take my notes with me on long walks so I could revise. I might be able to learn a few notes there and back everyday. Someone should make a walking society lol.
    It sounds like you quite enjoy walking! Definitely walk mate. If it's cold, walk faster!

ReputationRep:
    for god's sake as if you have to make a thread so the people in internet land can help you decide whether to walk or go on the bus. What colour pants shall I wear today? Should I have frosties or coco pops for breakfast? should I go for colonic irrigation on the NHS or just use the hosepipe in the garden?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rapha)
    That's not really something you can avoid, is it?
    Oh you're looking for a serious argument? I thought it was a competition of douchey statements.
    Well by all means.

If you go on the bus you're more likely to get swine flue.
    Big deal, there's a lot of scary bull **** hype about that anyway.

Secondly, even if swine flue wasn't around you'd be more likely to get something from someone on the bus, there's always some snotty child putting their snotty germ filled hands on the seat or the window or whatever. You get the idea.

Thirdly, you can live by yourself and avoid almost all contact with everyone, that way you will significantly lower your chances of catching things, wear a gas mask to work, have body wrap body armour so on so forth. It appears that you're trying to take comfort into consideration with risk, however the bus is not exactly the riskiest place. In fact I've not heard of millions of people avoiding the bus because they don't want X or Y before. People don't appear to catch something most of the time they go on the bus because of the bus or other people on the bus as far as I can tell. But if you have some statistics that contradict my statement, by all means publish them. Of course I'll expect some that will say whilst it's bad to go on the bus it's okay for other things, car pooling, working in an office with other people so on so forth.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Persipan)
    The way I look at it is, my legs are free, they don't break down, they don't run out of petrol, they don't get punctures, they don't fail to turn up when I really need to be somewhere, and no-one is likely to steal them; so for day-to-day getting around they trump pretty much every other mode of transport going.
    Of course legs get punctures, they're in the form of cuts, you can do all sorts of damage to your legs and feet, only with a car it's not generally a problem for your health, where as it can be for your legs and feet. And if you're not eating enough then wouldn't that count as a lack of petrol, nothing like a good faint on the way to work. But you're right they generally don't fail to turn up when you need them. As for stealing them many a night have I been out on the prowl with a giant knife:ninja2: .
    Getting around on a local basis though I tend to use the feet instead of the bus for the reasons you've stated + it's good for me.

ReputationRep:
    mix and match

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.