Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    So, I'll be finishing uni next year. I'm scared already!

I really want to do a Postgrad (http://www.northumbria.ac.uk/?view=C...l&code=DTSAMM6) but there is no way I'll be able to afford it initially.

Do many people work for a few years (2) before applying? Is this beneficial to applications as you'll have more experience? Particularly, if you can gain work in your field.

Please quote me if responding because I don't check this forum too much

Cheers.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nick_000)

I really want to do a Postgrad (http://www.northumbria.ac.uk/?view=C...l&code=DTSAMM6) but there is no way I'll be able to afford it initially.

Do many people work for a few years (2) before applying? Is this beneficial to applications as you'll have more experience? Particularly, if you can gain work in your field.

Cheers.
    That's normal enough to do. The experience will be useful. The only reason people advise against taking a break from education if possible is because it's difficult to get back into once you've gotten into the 9-5 routine.

ReputationRep:

Cheers.
    I worked for a few years before going into postgrad. It was the only plausible way for me to raise money (scholarships are hard to come by if you dont have a 1st class honours). Others manage to secure funding through various trusts and research councils.

It can be beneficial to have work experience, but it really depends on the course you are applying to. Some specify it as advantageous, some as compulsory and others as non-consequential. It would be best to make contact with the prospective department to see what they prefer from applicants.

I would recommend getting some work-experience under your belt before going back to uni. It gives you a broader perspective on life and may even help you decide what course will suit you best.

ReputationRep:
    I'm taking gap year before doing my masters next Sept. I'm working for 10 months in an unrelated field and going travelling in March. I hope the year will help with my outlook on life. I can honestly say that 2 months of working 7-5, five days a week, has had a very positive effect on my work ethic. Hopefully potential employers and universities will see my travelling and the fact I started full time work the day after my last exam in a good light. I am glad I chose to wait and still have the best part to come.

ReputationRep:

Cheers.
    Yes, it is normal for people to work for a few years before studying for a postgrad. This lets them save up some money and also gain some valuable work experience.

Don't quote me on this but the average age of a postgrad student is around 26 or so, with MBA students being even older.

ReputationRep:
    Hi! I've just graduated but I'm taking some time out. I have a great job lined up and I'm doing postgrad applications for 2010, though I may decide to take more time out. My last two years at university were difficult for various reasons, and I definitely need breathing space! Also I can't possibly rely on getting funding, so making a bit of money will be beneficial too!

ReputationRep:

Cheers.
    I graduated in '07, worked for 2 years and am starting my MA in Sept '09. I think it was very beneficial for me to work because when I graduated I wasn't even really sure what I wanted to focus on or if I even wanted to do postgrad at all, but spending some time in the industry helped me clarify it.

Specifically, I thought I wanted to do advertising/graphic design (which is what my undergrad was in) but when I got into the industry it wasn't at all what I expected. I found it was too closely tied to marketing for my taste, whereas I wanted to be doing something that was more fine-art related (but still within the design field). I did some design projects for a carpet showroom at one of my jobs and by chance discovered that I was really interested in textile design, so I applied to a postgrad course in that instead.

So, if I had enrolled in a postgrad course right after finishing school, I only would have spent even more time and money studying something that I ultimately did not end up wanting to stick with in the long term. Besides, it is extremely beneficial to experience working life. After all, most of us have been students all our lives so it is good to experience something different (and it is very different!). It is scary trying to find a job but there is no point in paying tons of money for a postgrad just because of being scared.

Some people are concerned with "getting too comfortable" in a job, and I was worried about it too, but I found that this never happened to me, simply because I was never completely happy with my job and industry. The money was nice but there is more to life than money, and it is hard to get comfortable in a position that you know is ultimately not right for you. I actually couldn't wait to leave and start my postgrad :yes:

Also the financial benefit was huge, I can't emphasize this enough. I am an international student so fees are exorbitant, but since I also lived at home during the past 2 years while I was working, I was able to save up a very nice sum of money that will be more than adequate to fund my postgrad. It is very nice not to be scrambling for loans right now and worrying about how to pay them back later.

I don't know if the fact that I had work experience helped my application a lot when I applied. I'm sure it didn't hurt. My work experience was somewhat related to my postgrad in the sense that it was still within the design industry, but I was applying to postgrad courses in textile design while my work experience was primarily in web design (and some print). Obviously if your work experience is extremely similar to what you want to focus on in your postgrad, then it will help a lot.

Anyways, I hope I haven't rambled on too much about myself. Hope this helps.

ReputationRep:
    You ought to simply subscribe to threads you start.

ReputationRep:
    I would personally opt for an MBA if I had work experience (3y+)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kittensmittens)
    Some people are concerned with "getting too comfortable" in a job, and I was worried about it too, but I found that this never happened to me, simply because I was never completely happy with my job and industry. The money was nice but there is more to life than money, and it is hard to get comfortable in a position that you know is ultimately not right for you. I actually couldn't wait to leave and start my postgrad :yes:
    Anyways, I hope I haven't rambled on too much about myself. Hope this helps.
    your rambling is so spot on tho, especially the paragraph i bolded! :yes:

i've been working for 5yrs now & in the hospitality line in a sales oriented job that was not directly related to my BA in Mass Comm. but i guess i'm still one of those who did fall into a comfort zone & was afraid of change & the uncertainty of what lies after going back to uni & graduating. not to mention it's not exactly a cheap undertaking for an international student. but yet again, over time i was getting increasingly frustrated at what i was doing as i didn't enjoy it at all...it just was not what i wanted to do for the rest of my life & changing employers was not going to change things for me.

i suppose something just snapped into place in my head last year & here i am about to embark on postgrad studies in Sep 09 too! :woo:

looking back, i'd say that if i had gone directly into a masters (postgrad) course after i graduated with my BA, i probably would've doggedly continued on with a masters in the same field & not knowing what the working life & corporate world is like. but having worked full time in a proper job, the people i interacted with internally & externally did make me realise that i'm way more interested in computers & the IT field, particularly Internet technology which incidentally is still related to Mass Comm.

it's a change in career direction, for sure. but at least i have a clearer idea of what i want to do now, or rather, what i would be happy doing that all those years back.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Craghyrax)
    You ought to simply subscribe to threads you start.
    It does that automatically.

However, I am also subscribed to 147 + other threads because I never bother to manage these. These include around 5 societies (Football, LGBT, GUitar etc.) that always have posts in them so show up first.

I wasn't expecting this thread to generate much response meaning I would have missed it in my subscribed threads if only one or 2 posted.

Simples. :yes:

Care to answer my question or is a flippant comment enough?

ReputationRep:

Cheers.
    Ive taken a year out since finishing my undergraduate degree and Im going to start my masters course this September. When I finished my undergrad course i was wavering about doing a Masters- I wasn't financially in a position to do and to be honest i was a bit fed up with constant essays/exams etc. I would say the year out was really beneficial for me. Ive had a lot of time to decide whether a Masters is really for me- I know now that I would rather be challenged in an academic environment than bored in an office job. Also Ive saved up enough money to pay for some of the fees. Work experience isnt going to harm your application and also may come in useful when you are looking for a job after your masters anyway. The only thing Im worried about is my brain switching on again- but Im assured that it will happen.

Sorry this turned into a bit of an essay

ReputationRep:
    Care to answer my question or is a flippant comment enough?
    I'm not a postgrad, and you had loads of other posts answering your question by the time I was there to post.

I'm definitely not waiting to do postgrad, but that's pretty much because I would really hate almost every job I can think of, so need to earn the qualifications for the ones I'd not mind doing.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.