Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Fat girls, skinny girls carrying a little bitty weight girls Watch

ReputationRep:
    Right you lot, I read fail upon fail in this area about weight loss, weight gain, toning and all that sort of stuff, I don't pretend to be PC so if I upset you - too bad!

Here is a thread I put together in fitness so many of you probably have not looked there are the bro's are far more un PC than the H&R where it seems if you say anything other than everyone is beautiful you all cry and moan.

So in an effort to be helpful for once here it is, it is by no means complete and I will update when I can be arsed and remember this is mainly for those who are trying to change their weight (most girls try to loose so that’s why it is balanced in favour of them)

Some basic mistakes to your thinking and a guideline to follow

Tone –

This is a horrible fail word. What the ‘toned’ look actually is, is a lower bf level coupled with higher levels of muscle mass creating the taught skin appearance.

I don’t want to get big –

You won’t, if it was that easy every bloke you saw would have swole t-shirt guns and pecs that could crush walnuts. And it is even harder for women so do not be afraid of compound free weights.

If you are already slim –

You are more than likely in the skinny fat zone, you are small and slight as your diet is probably high sugar high fat and little else, this has depleted your muscles and left you with flabby bits as there is no real muscle mass to hold it all taught.
    E.g.
    1. skinny-fat
    When someone is thin and looks great in clothes, but is all flabby underneath
    Some people have great figures, but in a bathing suit they are a mess- all skinny-fat- like Miss Paris, who loves to show off her flabby ass for some reason
    flabby not tight loose no muscle skinny
    by meadow soprano Nov 8, 2005 share this
    2. skinny-fat This term is used when a person is thin, yet does not eat healthy or take care of themselves. They think they don't need to watch the junk they eat because they are thin. They can be more unhealthy then an overweight person.
    Also known as, Skinny on the outside, fat and unhealthy on the inside.
    If you are overweight –

You are in a better position than above, fat is very easy to loose if you listen to several on here and not to womens’ mags and stupid fad diets.

Diet wise –

Nothing, upon nothing beats a healthy balanced diet with plenty of fruit, veg, whole grains, lean mean and fish. Please do not look for the quick fix, there is not one, it is a lifestyle change (you know this, you have heard it before).

Do not adopt the tiny breakfast, a tiny lunch and a bigger dinner, if anything do it the other way around (although this too is an extreme).

Eat small balanced meals often, if each meal has wholegrain carbs, protein and fats you will feel full for longer, be fuelled up and have a good source of vitamins and fibre, you will feel better.

Don’t count calories as much, they are not all equal and a chocolate bar at lunch does not mean you should eat less of the healthy foods, if anything and you must snack have it ‘as well as’ on the odd occasion.
    A few 'myths' busted here
    “Drinking lots of water will help me lose weight.”
    Myth-Buster: Many film stars attribute their newly chiseled body to ‘lots and lots of water’. It is important to keep the body hydrated but drinking too much water does not, in any way, cause weight loss. There are some who believe that drinking water will boost metabolism and flush away fats. Sorry – not true. Then there are some who drink to ‘feel full’ and delay hunger. Hunger is your body’s call for nutrients and energy. Washing it away with water will not satiate it. Also, it is better to drink before and during exercise. A large intake of water after a workout could cause water retention and problems with urination. Downing bottles of water in an air-conditioned setting will again cause water retention and bloating, as you won’t perspire. So don’t overdo the H2O habit!
    “If I eat after 8 p.m. I’ll put on more weight.”
    Myth-Buster: Wait, food doesn’t know time! And if it does, then you could gorge on pastries and pasta in the afternoon and still manage to lose weight. That doesn’t happen, which brings me back to the point. Food doesn’t know time. Granted, the body burns more fat when you’re more active, less fat when you’re less active. But it does not store fat depending upon the time of the day! Fat storage depends on your basal metabolic rate (BMR). So it’s not when you eat – but what you eat that makes all the difference.
    “I will gain weight if I stop smoking.“
    Myth-Buster: This is just another excuse to not quit! Nicotine does increase the body’s metabolism to some extent, but it isn’t enough to cause weight loss – so obviously, it will not cause weight gain either. The only way a smoker can gain weight after quitting is if he turns to comfort-foods like chips and chocolate. It’s best to snack on sugar-free gum or vegetable strips, or oranges to keep your hands occupied till the craving to light that cigarette goes away.
    “Fats are bad for me!”
    Myth-Buster: Fats are necessary for you. The body needs fat for energy, tissue repair and to transport vitamins A, D, E and K around the body. So if you want to maintain a healthy heart while still having your fats, cut down on saturated fats and opt for ‘good fats’. Walnuts, flaxseeds and fish are sources of essential fats. Olive oil is heart-friendly. Rice bran oil is equally healthy and more suited to Indian cooking.
    “Carbohydrates are bad for me!”
    Myth-Buster: Carbs are also necessary for you. Of late, many models have been encouraging low-carb, high-protein diets. Don’t forget, models spend long hours exercising in conjunction with diets, and have fitness experts to guide them. So don’t fall for this one. Carbohydrates are sugars which the body can break down easily, to provide it with energy. Eating fewer than 130 grams of carbs a day can cause gout, kidney stones and is especially risky for diabetics and pregnant women. So cut back on refined carbs such as soda and foods made with white flour, complex carbs like sugar and starch. Load up on healthy carbs like whole grains, fruits, and vegetables.
    “Cholesterol is bad for me!”
    Myth-Buster: Cholesterol is a fatty substance that is made mostly by the liver. We all need some blood cholesterol because it’s used to build cells and make vital hormones. It is bad only if it is ‘bad cholestrol’ called LDL (low density lipoprotein). Saturated fats found in foods like meat, cheese, cream, butter, cake and other processed foods raise LDL which delivers cholesterol to the arteries and results in heart disease. On the other hand, HDL (high density lipoprotein) or ‘good cholestrol’ transports cholesterol away from the arteries, back to the liver. Go for unsaturated fats like vegetable oils, nuts and seeds as they make HDL.
    “Low-fat snacks will help me lose weight.”
    Myth-Buster: Baked cheese crisps are truly a dieter’s delight, right? Wrong! First off, baking as a process needs some amount of fat for greasing. Try squishing any ‘baked’ snack; your fingers will be left feeling greasy. And how’s cheese considered low-fat anyway? Now for the popular Indian ‘diet’ snacks. Diet chivda, diet chakli, diet khakra, and the likes. They are promoted as low-fat alternatives. Be warned, low-fat does not mean low-calorie! Extra sugars and thickeners are often added to boost flavour and texture, so calorie content may be similar to standard products. Also, when you know a snack is low-fat, you’re psychologically going to feel safe about it – as a result, end up having thrice as much as you’d have otherwise consumed! You’d rather stick to standard snacks and limit your intake.
    “Grapefruit, acai berry and cabbage soup cause weight loss.”
    Myth-Buster: Urban legend? Absolutely! Some foods help in speeding up metabolism and govern the way your body uses calories for a short time. But there is absolutely no food that can directly burn fat or cause weight loss.
    “I can eat all I want as long as I exercise.”
    Myth-Buster: When you eat ‘all you want’ most of the food gets stored as fat. It doesn’t wait until you make your way to the gym and exercise. By the time you decide to work out, it’s already too late and too difficult to burn off that stored fat. So you may have added fat in one day, but burning it off will take one month, or more! Besides, exercise can not undo the damage caused by unhealthy junk foods. So watch your bite, even if you exercise.
    “Crash dieting will make me visibly thin.”
    Myth-Buster: Sure, for a short period of time. In the long run, crash dieting will only backfire. Here’s how. Crash dieting or fasting will start depleting fat - but also lean muscle and tissue. The loss of lean muscle will cause a fall in your (BMR). As a result, it will get more and more difficult for you to burn fat and lose weight. There are high chances you will get frustrated and end up binging, packing on more pounds than you had lost. So no - crash dieting will not make you thin. If you still want to give it a shot, be prepared for hair loss, dizziness, bad breath, dark circles and crinkled skin!
    Exercise –

Cardio –

Is most defiantly NOT king when it comes to healthy fat loss. It is boring, time consuming and not particularly beneficial for what you want.

HIIT –
    High Intensity Interval Training is ideal for what you want to achieve, two sessions a week will do to start with. This means that after 20mins you should be UNABLE to complete more, this is not a 20min jog, it is a 30 second sprint, 30 seconds at a slow job then back up to sprint level – it is hard, and so will your body be if you take the time to listen.
    Here is a pretty good article on HIIT
    The HIIT Revolution
    High Intensity Interval Training, HIIT, Power Cardio- whatever you want to call it, it has become one of the top picks for fitness trainers and is opening doors to fat loss for people everywhere. Why? Because of the following HIIT is right for EVERYONE! Everyone from the experienced bodybuilder to the post baby woman can reap the benefits of HIIT.

The four major benefits of HIIT are:
    Burn more calories by elevating your metabolism so you lose fat faster
    Increase your power
    Increase your speed
    Increase your endurance
    I know at this point I am probably sounding a like little Richard Simmons trying to get you to jump on the fitness bandwagon- but if there was ever a bang wagon to jump, this would be the one. We all seek better workouts and we all seeks ways to get the most out of our workout (especially in the shortest amount of time) and HIIT can really provide those answers.

High Intensity Interval Training (HIIT)

What is HIIT And Why does it Work so Well?
    High Intensity Interval Training (HIIT) is the concept of training in intervals, each interval at a different intensity. Different HIIT programs work best for different people, but everyone can benefit form working out are varying levels of intensity (see example programs below). When you complete a cardiovascular session at an unvarying intensity for the duration of a workout your body enters a 'steady state'. This is a state at which your body has adapted itself to the speed you are going and conserves energy. When you complete HIIT you do not allow your body to enter this state and thus allow yourself to burn more total calories in less time. Also, HIIT training is performed at a high intensity which raises your heart rate faster and raises your metabolism longer after the workout. The overall length of your workout are much briefer in duration than your typical aerobic sessions. Some studies, such as one by Laval University, state that HIIT (High Intensity Interval Training) cardio helps subjects lose/burn nine times more fat than those who trained the traditional way. It makes you wonder why anyone told you to train at a slow pace for a long period of time!
    Example workout:
    Pick any type of cardiovascular method (running, swimming, recumbent bike, treadmill, elliptical machine, etc).
    Make sure you take some time to warm up to get your body temperature raised before you begin.
    Now begin your cardiovascular training at 75% of your maximum ability, stay at this pace for MHR intensity for 30 seconds
    Now bring your intensity down to 30% for 90 seconds.
    Now raise your intensity to 80% for 30 seconds.
    Now raise your intensity to 85% for 30 seconds.
    Continue to repeat these steps, each time bringing your intensity level up.
    The key step to HIIT is not allowing your body to adopt, adapting to a certain level of intensity will allow your body to fall into steady state and it will begin conserving rather than burning fat. Keep changing your pace, and pushing yourself through each interval. No matter what your fitness goals, HIIT is one of the best ways of helping you achieve them. And the variations are endless. You can vary the training parameters (exercise to rest ratio, number of intervals) to make the workouts harder or easier, depending on what you are trying to accomplish. You can also use any number of exrecises for your training, such as cycling, sprinting, treadmill, elliptical trainers, jump rope, rope climbing, hill sprints, and more.
    Resistance training –

Freeweights are king, Squats, Deadlifts, Overhead Pressing, Rowing, Curls and Close Pressing are all you need, this with the above will ‘tone’ your bum, legs, arms (bingo wings) and midsection

This is by no means complete, but get these things into your head and you will be on a much better track than ‘Help me, I want to tone my eyelid’ type comments.

PM or quote any specific questions if you want, I am sure someone on here can answer them’ probably before I read it lol
    Additional info - the bodyshape triangle
    You will all no doubt be familiar with Trinny and the other one doign their bodyshape things for fashion. This however is not a new thing, its just something many are unaware of. The bodyshape triangle dictates what size you are, shape, ability to loose gain fat/muslce length of limbs etc
    Important- You must understand that you fall somewhere within the triangle, you can have traits of one, or two and some people are neutral with mild traits of all three.
    This is a limiting factor in what you can achive naturally. For e.g
    If you wanted to be a catwalk model and are display no ectomorphic traits - forget it, it is pretty much impossible
    Likewise if you aspire to look like a certain celeb, you must understand thier bodytype first, if yours does not match you can not achive it.
    Please be realisitic and strive to be the best you can rather than worrying about others!!!
    E.g

Definitions:
    Sheldon’s “somatotypes” and their supposed associated physical traits can be summarised as follows:
    Ectomorphic: characterized by long and thin muscles/limbs and low fat storage; receding chin, usually referred to as slim.
    Mesomorphic: characterized by large bones, solid torso, low fat levels, wide shoulders with a narrow waist.
    Endomorphic: characterized by increased fat storage, a wide waist and a large bone structure.
    This is by no means a complete description.

ReputationRep:
    Please, write more!!!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Subcutaneous)
    whys this is in H&R when its already in fitness?! Bit of a waste
    Many of the people who post about weight and weight loss etc in here do not venture as far as fitness.
    And as this is called Health and relationships I would have thought it was clear that fitness is one thing, health has its own forum here so it is still relevant.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Powerlifter)
    Many of the people who post about weight and weight loss etc in here do not venture as far as fitness.
    And as this is called Health and relationships I would have thought it was clear that fitness is one thing, health has its own forum here so it is still relevant.

well peopl dont like going into fitness because of the atmosphere and people in there, maybe if it was more open, friendly you wouldn't have that problem.

ReputationRep:
    I actually think you're wasting your time a bit. I think it's great that you're putting in the effort to help women out, but the majority just don't care. The women who complain about being fat all the time probably wouldn't read all of this, and would give up. I think they'd rather hear it from Heat magazine.

ReputationRep:
    well peopl dont like going into fitness because of the atmosphere and people in there, maybe if it was more open, friendly you wouldn't have that problem.
    It gets annoying when people keep coming back with the same problems, asking stupid questions when they don't even bother to read the sticky at the top of the thread. People also tend to ignore advice and go with something stupid.

Also, it's much better to be blunt and honest with somebody, delivering the facts, than to sugar coat it. If you have to sugar coat a message like this to somebody in order to get them to listen without feeling offended/emotional then they're not the kind of person that's gonna put the effort in at the gym anyway.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Arteta)
    It gets annoying when people keep coming back with the same problems, asking stupid questions when they don't even bother to read the sticky at the top of the thread. People also tend to ignore advice and go with something stupid.

Also, it's much better to be blunt and honest with somebody, delivering the facts, than to sugar coat it. If you have to sugar coat a message like this to somebody in order to get them to listen without feeling offended/emotional then they're not the kind of person that's gonna put the effort in at the gym anyway.
    ive been getting fantastic support from a weight loss forum, where they're absoloutely lovely people, many are body builders aswell, and they put things nicely, supportive, suggestions in a polite and appropiate manner, and it helps a lot more, than somone telling me my diet is a 'fad' and i'll 'just put on weight when i stop' and its 'a load of ****' when its working :dontknow:

sometimes being blunt can help, but when someone asks for help, give it to them..don't be a ****

ReputationRep:
    ive been getting fantastic support from a weight loss forum, where they're absoloutely lovely people, many are body builders aswell, and they put things nicely, supportive, suggestions in a polite and appropiate manner, and it helps a lot more, than somone telling me my diet is a 'fad' and i'll 'just put on weight when i stop' and its 'a load of ****' when its working :dontknow:

sometimes being blunt can help, but when someone asks for help, give it to them..don't be a ****
    Well, if your diet is a fad, and you would put on weight then people would only try to help you when they give you advice. Would you rather people didn't highlight this to you?

If somebody said 'Oh I think that diet sounds like it would be a bit false, I think you would put on weight after you stop' I would bet most people would not hear alarm bells there. If you tell somebody (politely, but directly) that you'll get fat and that the diet doesn't work, then they're more likely to come off it and try something else.

Most people aren't rude in Fitness, they just don't speak to you like they're treading on egg shells.

ReputationRep:
    Well, if your diet is a fad, and you would put on weight then people would only try to help you when they give you advice. Would you rather people didn't highlight this to you?

If somebody said 'Oh I think that diet sounds like it would be a bit false, I think you would put on weight after you stop' I would bet most people would not hear alarm bells there. If you tell somebody (politely, but directly) that you'll get fat and that the diet doesn't work, then they're more likely to come off it and try something else.

Most people aren't rude in Fitness, they just don't speak to you like they're treading on egg shells.

its annoying too when people make up fitness regimes which are just silly, and not realistic...the ****ging off of weight loss clubs are the most annoying thing, as they work for many many people and are a fantastic way to loose weight, plus its certainly not appropiate, at times there have been discussion about the use of steroids, something which in no way should be discussed on a forum like this

ReputationRep:
    ahh this was really good / helpful, despite what the others are saying.
    gooood

ReputationRep:
    Nice post, wonder if it will actually prevent any ridiculous threads though.

ReputationRep:
    That was interesting, I didn't know about the skinny fat thing before.

I used to be a small size 8 but ate much less than I do now, however it was all junk. I was slim but so untoned. Now I'm a small size ten, eating more than before, but healthily - and although obviously I'm bigger, I actually look slimmer than before! Always wondered why, so thanks.

ReputationRep:
    Cleared a few things up, cheers.

ReputationRep:
    its annoying too when people make up fitness regimes which are just silly, and not realistic...the ****ging off of weight loss clubs are the most annoying thing, as they work for many many people and are a fantastic way to loose weight, plus its certainly not appropiate, at times there have been discussion about the use of steroids, something which in no way should be discussed on a forum like this
    Threads about steroids shouldn't be a problem on here, it's only a discussion about them, the same as how there are discussions on here about prostitution or suicide. As far as i'm aware there's only 2 people in fitness that take them, and they in no way advertise them to anybody else. The majority of us would never take them.

The guys giving advice don't make up stupid unrealistic regimes, it's the people asking for advice that do.

You're a girl aren't you? I think I remember talking to you about nurses at Nottingham, and i'm assuming people in fitness told you to lift weights and do HIIT? Well, that's not unrealistic, nor stupid. It works. It's only unrealistic to people that are way off a healthy level of fitness to begin with, and people that just think it will be too hard because they've never done anything like this before.

ReputationRep:
    Threads about steroids shouldn't be a problem on here, it's only a discussion about them, the same as how there are discussions on here about prostitution or suicide. As far as i'm aware there's only 2 people in fitness that take them, and they in no way advertise them to anybody else. The majority of us would never take them.

The guys giving advice don't make up stupid unrealistic regimes, it's the people asking for advice that do.

You're a girl aren't you? I think I remember talking to you about nurses at Nottingham, and i'm assuming people in fitness told you to lift weights and do HIIT? Well, that's not unrealistic, nor stupid. It works. It's only unrealistic to people that are way off a healthy level of fitness to begin with, and people that just think it will be too hard because they've never done anything like this before.
    I don't remember talking to you, but ok lol

Well for many its hard to fit in a fitness regime, i remember one certain user told me i should go twice a day, whilst doing a full time course and holding a part time job?! Im lucky when im working i do keep active and moving about, and its not a sedentary lifestyle, but that problem is that when working a 12.5hr shift, its hard finding the energy to go to the gym, ive found a good way of doing it now, in that i encorporate housework into my excercise, and get my heart rate up when doing that, ive had much better advice support, and suggestions from another forum, maybe because im female i respond bettter, but..i know many people do get put off by the atmosphere, and its sort of seen as..well a jocky sort of area.

There HAS been discussion of steroids, and i do know moderator action has been taken, discussion of drug use isn't allowed on tsr, and as much as i dont want to get into the legality of steroid, as we can discuss it till we'r blue in the face, they are a controlled substance.

Im not in for an argument, but there is a good reason why many people tend to avoid fitness, it is a blinding area, and some characters, I mean how is it promoting a positive body image when one of your users go rounds saying anything above a size 10 is fat, or gets worried one of his friends has put on 1-2lbs?! lol Its not all people, but the minority dominate

ReputationRep:
    I thought that HIIT was not that effective actually, but I'll definitely be giving it a go...

ReputationRep:
    There's always someone who loves to throw a spanner in the works isn't there?

ReputationRep:
    I don't remember talking to you, but ok lol

Well for many its hard to fit in a fitness regime, i remember one certain user told me i should go twice a day, whilst doing a full time course and holding a part time job?! Im lucky when im working i do keep active and moving about, and its not a sedentary lifestyle, but that problem is that when working a 12.5hr shift, its hard finding the energy to go to the gym, ive found a good way of doing it now, in that i encorporate housework into my excercise, and get my heart rate up when doing that, ive had much better advice support, and suggestions from another forum, maybe because im female i respond bettter, but..i know many people do get put off by the atmosphere, and its sort of seen as..well a jocky sort of area.

There HAS been discussion of steroids, and i do know moderator action has been taken, discussion of drug use isn't allowed on tsr, and as much as i dont want to get into the legality of steroid, as we can discuss it till we'r blue in the face, they are a controlled substance.

Im not in for an argument, but there is a good reason why many people tend to avoid fitness, it is a blinding area, and some characters, I mean how is it promoting a positive body image when one of your users go rounds saying anything above a size 10 is fat, or gets worried one of his friends has put on 1-2lbs?! lol Its not all people, but the minority dominate
    We only spoke briefly in the subs chat, because we live next to eachother, I said I live next to BZR, if that rings any bells.

Anyway, none of the regular fitness guys would tell you to seriously work out twice a day, that must have been a random poster with no knowledge. You know as well as I do that anybody can go into any forum and offer advice. Our advice can't be blamed for you having a busy lifestyle. Most people would recommend that you work out about an hour each night, alternating between weights and HIIT, regardless of whether you fit it in or not, that's the advice, whether it's unrealistic is open to your interpretation, but for most it's not.

I can see how it's seen as a 'jock' area, but that goes with Fitness anyway, it's not supposed to be intimidating, we just say things as they are. If you're going to let a jock atmosphere on the internet get in the way of your health, then perhaps you're not the kind of person we want to advise. Sorry if that's harsh, but I think most of the guys would rather advise people that would use it, instead of people that are worried about having things delivered to them as though they are customers.

Whether steroids have been a topic of discussion is irrelevant anyway, the point still remains that people don't promote them. Nor do they advertise where you can get them. They're not going to ignore that they don't exist though, this isn't China. So they gave their opinions on it, so what? I've seen threads on here about incest.

I don't know what to say about the fat thing, yeah a lot of us have opinions on girls, what's fat and what's not. But we don't generally go into threads to harass individuals.

ReputationRep:
    it's helpful, i kept reading HIIT everywhere and had no clue what it meant haha

ReputationRep:
    i totally agree with this, it seems like all the advice you get here is aimed at guys wanting to bulk up, completely unsympathetic and pretty complex, ie not for someone just beginning their fitness/ weightloss journey. which is why in the thread i posted a few mins ago i asked for simple, beginners advice, but everyone just directed me here...think i might be better off in the H&R thread...
    EDIT. i realise this is aimed at girls, but most of the people who post/ give advice seem to be guys.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.