Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Fat girls, skinny girls carrying a little bitty weight girls Watch

• TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by KTpie)
    i totally agree with this, it seems like all the advice you get here is aimed at guys wanting to bulk up, completely unsympathetic and pretty complex, ie not for someone just beginning their fitness/ weightloss journey. which is why in the thread i posted a few mins ago i asked for simple, beginners advice, but everyone just directed me here...think i might be better off in the H&R thread...
    If you can't read and understand a simple post containing a few hundred words at most then you certainly won't get far fitness/weightloss wise, or indeed in anything.

The thing is, just about any question you, as a newbie, could ever ask has been answered, then answered again and again a hundred times. Powerlifter has very kindly took the time to create a thread with excellent advice for female newbies looking to get into shape. No one wants to answer the same questions over and over again, and we're not your personal trainer and don't get paid for it, so we refer people to where they can find an answer to their question.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Smack)
    If you can't read and understand a simple post containing a few hundred words at most then you certainly won't get far fitness/weightloss wise, or indeed in anything.

The thing is, just about any question you, as a newbie, could ever ask has been answered, then answered again and again a hundred times. Powerlifter has very kindly took the time to create a thread with excellent advice for female newbies looking to get into shape. No one wants to answer the same questions over and over again, and we're not your personal trainer and don't get paid for it, so we refer people to where they can find an answer to their question.
    THIS attitude is exactly what i'm talking about. I didn't complain about the QUALITY of Powerlifter's post, but i'm sure i'm not the only 'newbie' who finds it a little daunting. To be honest as well you obviously haven't looked at the thread I made either otherwise you'd understand why i posted a new thread in the first place. I know there are already lots of threads full of technical advice, but i was asking for people's personal experiences too about other issues. To be honest i think you were pretty rude there and it's really offputting to people who come here for advice, especially 'newbies'.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Some people are born to be failures. If you find that 'daunting' then perhaps you should just consign yourself to the cup of mediocrity. If you think I am being rude then you must think you deserve special treatment, or that I am obliged to actually give a damn about every god damned newbie who creates a thread asking the oft repeated same old basic questions. The ones that care will make it obvious and will soon see results. If you want sympathy then you've came to the wrong place because if you're fat then it's entirely your own doing.

If you want to actually make an effort rather than being a whiner then people will be more than happy to help.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Smack)
    Some people are born to be failures. If you find that 'daunting' then perhaps you should just consign yourself to the cup of mediocrity. If you think I am being rude then you must think you deserve special treatment, or that I am obliged to actually give a damn about every god damned newbie who creates a thread asking the oft repeated same old basic questions. The ones that care will make it obvious and will soon see results. If you want sympathy then you've came to the wrong place because if you're fat then it's entirely your own doing.

If you want to actually make an effort rather than being a whiner then people will be more than happy to help.
    Actually, i'm not a failure, and i find it offensive that you think you can judge someone as such without even knowing them, obviously you consider yourself superior to everyone. Yes, i do think you're being rude, and no, of course i don't think i 'deserve special treatment', but imo rudeness is completely unnecessary and pointless, it doesn't hurt YOU to speak to someone a bit nicer but it could make a lot of difference to them. I don't think that's too much to ask of anyone. Actually, you clearly didn't read my thread so i don't think you can comment on the questions i asked, nor can you comment on how much i care, whether i'm fat or not, or about the effort i put in. Clearly, since you decided to answer my post and try to start an argument, you clearly do give a damn.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by KTpie)
    Actually, i'm not a failure, and i find it offensive that you think you can judge someone as such without even knowing them, obviously you consider yourself superior to everyone. Yes, i do think you're being rude, and no, of course i don't think i 'deserve special treatment', but imo rudeness is completely unnecessary and pointless, it doesn't hurt YOU to speak to someone a bit nicer but it could make a lot of difference to them. I don't think that's too much to ask of anyone. Actually, you clearly didn't read my thread so i don't think you can comment on the questions i asked, nor can you comment on how much i care, whether i'm fat or not, or about the effort i put in. Clearly, since you decided to answer my post and try to start an argument, you clearly do give a damn.

Look, you asked this:

(Original post by You)
    - exercise. I've just joined a gym for the first time (before this the only exercise i did was hiking, swimming and sometimes badminton, but now being a student i was able to get a cheap membership deal at the gym) but being new, i'm a bit unsure of how to approach it. I know there's lots of blogs, advice etc on here but tbh i've had a look through a lot of it, and it seems to be really advanced, or aimed at guys trying to bulk up. I'd really appreciate a bit of beginners' advice on where to start, especially as i'm feeling pretty self-conscious/ anxious about going. It's worth mentioning i'm doing a few classes including yoga, but i'm thinking that's not enough to really make a difference.
    It's pretty clear that you had questions regarding training and diet. You were given a link which clearly answers all your questions regarding the above. Yet, you start whining that the Fitness section can be too daunting for newbies and that we're all rude, nasty boys. Could that be because we're actually interested in succeeding rather than moaning and crying?

Subcutaneous, the person you originally quoted to start your whining has certainly not acted in a friendly manner to many Fitness regulars in the past, and as such they're not going to react in a friendly manner to her in future. If you're rude to people they're generally going to be rude back to you.

No one here is rude, unfriendly, nasty or acts superior to anyone else in 99% of cases (there is 1% who deserve it). But at the same time, we're not your personal trainers (I don't actually think any regular here holds any PT qualifications and most aren't doing a degree which is even remotely similar to sports science or anything like that; the knowledge primarily comes from what people have researched themselves, and what is tried and tested to work) so you cannot simply place threads here demanding an answer to your totally unoriginal questions.

You can ask questions and people can try their best to answer them, which in the case of girls looking to lose weight/tone up, involves giving them this link (there's another one which I think contains more info, not sure though, you can look it up if you want) with the implication that they should read it and follow it. You said you wanted simple, beginners advice, and you got it. Why are you being so argumentative?

I actually find it very offensive how you can judge me as thinking I'm superior to everyone without even knowing me. This is completely unnecessary and it doesn't hurt YOU to not judge me in that manner. I don't think that's too much to ask of anyone.

ReputationRep:
    im fat/ skinny

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.