Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm cycling around Europe with a friend this summer and would really appreciate any advice people could give me - has anyone here done anything like that before?

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    I've not done this before but I intend to do so after I've finished my summer research job. Some initial thoughts are:

- Get good tyres. Reducing the chance of punctures is going to save you a lot of hassle over the course of the trip.

- Get padded shorts. I've accidentally gone on 60km rides with non-padded shorts before and even then the difference is noticeable.

In terms of training, it's really just a case of spending time in the saddle. Get comfortable with cycling for long distances at a time.

ReputationRep:
    So you decided to copy Rob then.

ReputationRep:
    Sister did holland-london

biggest piece of advice was = get really comfy shorts, and LOTS of gel padding, one piece usually isn't enough. your arse will be hurting by the end of it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chumbaniya)
    I've not done this before but I intend to do so after I've finished my summer research job. Some initial thoughts are:

- Get good tyres. Reducing the chance of punctures is going to save you a lot of hassle over the course of the trip.

- Get padded shorts. I've accidentally gone on 60km rides with non-padded shorts before and even then the difference is noticeable.

In terms of training, it's really just a case of spending time in the saddle. Get comfortable with cycling for long distances at a time.
    + Get a decent saddle, that will make things much more comfortable (even without the use of padded shorts).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ch0c0h01ic)
    + Get a decent saddle, that will make things much more comfortable (even without the use of padded shorts).
    Good point. Even with quite decent padded shorts, my racing saddle is not so comfy on longer rides.

ReputationRep:
    Do not get a gel saddle. They'll just make things worse. The common advice is find a saddle you're comfy with - even a rock hard saddle and no bar tape should be comfy if you've got this right position and correct saddle. Get looking.
    Oh - and lycra shorts.

If there's one thing I can't stand it's idiots thinking they can cycle across Europe or do an Etape du tour with no preparation or the correct equipment.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.