Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hey

I'm doing my EE in economics; price discrimination to be specific. Basically the data I've collected is the price for products in three different Carrefour outlets - one in Singapore (in the heart of the city), and two in two different areas in Taipei. The first Taipei Carrefour is located in the "expat area" while the other is surrounded by warehouses and close to Costco. What I found is that the price differs for the same product (eg 2litre 7-Up bottle) in all three outlets.

The three problems I face are:

1. I don't have a question for my title.
    2. Pretty much the only products that are sold in all three outlets are food.
    3. Not many products show the differing prices; Singapore prices are almost always different from Taipei prices but the two Carrefours in Taipei quote the same price for the same product fairly often.

My EE supervisor is really lazy so he hasn't replied to any of my e-mails this summer; I just e-mailed the other economics teacher for help but I'm not sure if he will lend a hand. What am I to do??? :woo:

ReputationRep:
    Clearly there is a problem in your approach, price discrimination exists only within the economy not between economies, thats Purchasing power, importing taxes and standard of living that we are talking abt that makes the differences of prices in singapore and taipei. Obviously if your two prices in taipei are the same, there isnt any price discrimination then!!!

ReputationRep:
    Well the prices DO differ in the two Taipei Carrefour outlets for some products, just not that many. If the price is not the same, then, yeah, duh... Hahaha.

Do you think I would be able to get around the whole purchasing power issue by making my question "What evidence supports that Carrefour practices price discrimination?" and using your point as a sort of counter-argument? Would that work?

ReputationRep:
    I have to agree with jc_bach. I m not entirely sure but...you seem to be trying merge a microeconomic topic macroeconomically/international economics. I advise you to reconsider your current approach

ReputationRep:
    Well what would you suggest I change the topic to then? When I can write about with the data I have collected?

ReputationRep:
    try to compare prices (okay u can still stick w/ price discrimination) between carrefour in CBD and in rural areas, pick a few products (some common ones/brands and some not-so-common) and analyse it using your economic knowledge.

ReputationRep:
    Also, it's worth noting that often price discrimination is more subtle than simply differing the prices in different shops. Shops will often use the layout of the store to guide you towards the more expensive or less expensive options dpeending on their target market. An interesting title could involve investigating techniques to effectively price disciminate without altering the prices.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Applying to university
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.