Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Please i need some help to attempt this question... please show the equation when doing the question....THANKS IN ADVANCE

* means multiply

A wire 2m long and cross sectional area 1*10^-6 m^2 is stretched by a force of 50 N calculate:

The strain of the wire

The young modulus of the wire

ReputationRep:
    You must know the equations for stress and strain, and then stress/strain=YM.
    Why are you doing these questions in the holidays? :lolwut:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jinx007)
    Please i need some help to attempt this question... please show the equation when doing the question....THANKS IN ADVANCE

* means multiply

A wire 2m long and cross sectional area 1*10^-6 m^2 is stretched by a force of 50 N calculate:

The strain of the wire

The young modulus of the wire
    There is something missing in your question to find strain you need extension.However to find extension I can use hookes law , but the constant is not given.

ReputationRep:
    No there is nothing missing , that's why i am stuck !!!! It is a tuition question, my teacher told us to find the answer by ourselves...

ReputationRep:
    Your teacher has just set a problem that cant be done.

ReputationRep:
    YM is the pressure required to stretch it by its own length, i.e. 2m. You cannot work that out.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jinx007)
    No there is nothing missing , that's why i am stuck !!!! It is a tuition question, my teacher told us to find the answer by ourselves...
    and you came to tsr:naughty:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rbnphlp)
    and you came to tsr:naughty:
    it's not cheating, it's using your initiative

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: July 31, 2009

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.