Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Girls: what would be your reaction if a guy played this trick on you? watch

Announcements
  • View Poll Results: Following the situation described in this thread, what would you do and think?
    Completely unacceptable - he must be actually insane. Throw him out and never see him again
    9.88%
    Ignore him for a week or so, but probably want to have him back really, if he apologised
    17.44%
    Be annoyed by it, but still stay hanging out with him that day.
    27.91%
    Think "omg lulz, I got pwned fair and square", and give him a high-five
    12.21%
    I AM MALE: and I reckon it could be pretty hilarious to do this
    11.63%
    I AM MALE: and it's really ******* awful, can't imagine why anyone would do it
    14.53%
    None of the above are close enough to my answer/voting is fun
    6.40%

ReputationRep:
    Imagine you've been seeing a guy for a little while - weeks or a few months. You're sleeping together and are pretty close and all that. Then, for lolz, one day he lays out a story about, for example, actually having a kid - or kind of not having broken up with his ex yet, or some other big schocker.
    Then after a little while of talking about it and all that (less than an hour, say), he tells you it was just a joke (and it really is one).

What do you think your immediate/short-term reaction would be, as well as your longer-term response, and what would you think of him?

Some poll options are included (wait 2 minutes after I post this, while I set the poll up!)

Thanks everyone

p.s. guys can comment as well, but only still with the roles this way round - i.e. what you think about a guy doing this to a girl, and if you ever would, if you'd find it funny, etc.

ReputationRep:
    Well, i laughed when i read it

ReputationRep:
    A swift uppercut to the groin area, I'd imagine.

ReputationRep:
    Lol well it'd beg the question as to whether you said it was a joke to protect her feelings and if it was actually real despite it.

ReputationRep:
    i imagine hed get a smack in the teeth

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EFG)
    Lol well it'd beg the question as to whether you said it was a joke to protect her feelings and if it was actually real despite it.
    valid - clarified in my post now.

ReputationRep:
    hahaive done this!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! i played the baby one when i was on a second date lol. showed her a photo on my phone of my baby cousin and said he was mine and me and the mom were still togeather but just and we were braking up 'soon'. she was annoying so wanted to put her off me! ahahaha love jokes like that!

ReputationRep:
    Things like that are insanely annoying.

ReputationRep:
    I am male. I dont find the concept hilarious or completely awful, but talking for approx an hour is a rediculous amount of time, it would surely need to be retracted within about forty seconds.

ReputationRep:
    I think its pretty childish and a prickish thing to do.

ReputationRep:
    It is joke, relax, do one on him love...

ReputationRep:
    I voted 'be annoyed by it'... but only because it was a waste of 'less than an hour'. I think I'd just be disappointed that we wasted our breath talking about it.

Why, did you do it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wellisntitfor)
    valid - clarified in my post now.
    Yeh, even if it was a joke though, there could be some doubt in her mind that you just said it was a joke and it was actually real.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shorty.loves.angels)
    Why, did you do it?
    Twice (I've only known two girls).

The first time was short, like 10 or 15 minutes, and I said I had a son. When I told her I was joking, she got angry and try to hurt me a bit, but calmed down in a minute and then we just carried on as before.

The second time was long, about an hour, and far more involved. It was also April Fool's day

She hit me and threw me out and said she never wanted to hear from me again. We made up, kind of, a week later, but in the mean time she had told all her friends and family what a complete ******* I was, so the fallout from it actually meant that our friendship was poisoned and dieing, and we faded out from seeing each other.

The funny thing here is that she said, while the joke was still going on, that if I sorted things out with the other girl then we could still be together. Maybe I shouldn't have admitted it was a joke :rolleyes:

I find it really funny, I have to say.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by little_red_sox)
    A swift uppercut to the groin area, I'd imagine.
    you must be short as a *********** to have to uppercut to reach someones groin

ReputationRep:
    It sounds painfully unfunny. I'd call them a childish **** and never see them again.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wellisntitfor)
    Twice (I've only known two girls).

The first time was short, like 10 or 15 minutes, and I said I had a son. When I told her I was joking, she got angry and try to hurt me a bit, but calmed down in a minute and then we just carried on as before.

The second time was long, about an hour, and far more involved. It was also April Fool's day

She hit me and threw me out and said she never wanted to hear from me again. We made up, kind of, a week later, but in the mean time she had told all her friends and family what a complete ******* I was, so the fallout from it actually meant that our friendship was poisoned and dieing, and we faded out from seeing each other.

The funny thing here is that she said, while the joke was still going on, that if I sorted things out with the other girl then we could still be together. Maybe I shouldn't have admitted it was a joke :rolleyes:

I find it really funny, I have to say.

In fairness, if it was april fools day I woudn't have believed it for a second anyway!! Stupid girl... lol

Seriously though, so you not think it's a bit of a waste of time?

ReputationRep:
    I would be annoyed at him mainly because he "joke" wouldn't have made me laugh at all but rather waste an hour of my life.

Dump him and go out with someone who actually has a good sense of humour and is great at telling hilarious one liners.

ReputationRep:
    If he kept it going for like 3 minutes then it would be ok (still a bit weird). Half an hour takes the piss, you don't lead somebody along like that for a ****** joke.

I wouldn't have done it personally. Get a new guy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tha_Black_Shinobi)
    you must be short as a *********** to have to uppercut to reach someones groin
    Either that or 6 years old. :awesome:

Hai Five for her bf!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 29, 2009
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.