Turn on thread page Beta

Homemade egg mayo for two! watch

ReputationRep:
    Hello food lovers

I just want some advice with how much to use really. I know how to make mayonnaise from scratch but I don't know how much it will give me.

The ingredients I'm using are:

2 egg yolks
    12 fl oz (340 ml) of vegetable or olive oil
    1 - tbsp of lemon juice or white wine vinegar
    1 - 2 tsp of Dijon mustard
    salt and pepper

But... I have 4 eggs. My mum said I should use 4 eggs just for the egg part, but that will leave me with none left for the mayo! (The whole point of makin it from scratch is so I don't have to go to the shop in the rain!! So don't tell me to go buy eggs :p: )

If I halved the mayo recipe would I have enough to go with 3 eggs?

Or is two eggs along with the mayo enough for 2? (Sandwiches)

Or if I took the 2 yolks for the mayo, could I then poach the whites and use them for the egg part along with the other 2 full eggs? Or would that be way too much white?

What would you do?? - I have about 2 hours so need to crack on...

ReputationRep:
    What happened?! Did you have egg mayo sarnies in the end?!

ReputationRep:
    2 eggs are enough for the sarnie, leaving you two yolks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by abc101)
    What happened?! Did you have egg mayo sarnies in the end?!
    Well I figured that 340ml of oil would be a good estimate of how much mayo the recipe would yield :rolleyes: And I decided that was far too much for two eggs so rather than have loads left over I just halved the mixture; used one egg (yolk) for the mayo and had three eggs to hard boil and add to it!

Actually have still got half the mayo left, it was rather a lot! And it was delicious :p: Don't think I'll bother buying mayo again tbh!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EskimoJo)
    2 eggs are enough for the sarnie, leaving you two yolks.
    I did consider this but then I would have had far too much mayo. So as I said above I halved the ingredients and hard boiled 3 eggs.

Still got plenty of mayo left now... it's very nice though so a bit tempting just to eat by the spoonful :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shorty.loves.angels)
    I did consider this but then I would have had far too much mayo. So as I said above I halved the ingredients and hard boiled 3 eggs.

Still got plenty of mayo left now... it's very nice though so a bit tempting just to eat by the spoonful
    Sounds good! I love making homemade egg mayo and the eggs are still warm in the sandwich! :coma: I eat it so fast the bread doesn't have time to get soggy!

ReputationRep:
    enjoy it.

ReputationRep:
    Sounds good! I love making homemade egg mayo and the eggs are still warm in the sandwich! :coma: I eat it so fast the bread doesn't have time to get soggy!
    Aww I left the eggs to cool so the filling would be chilled! Had to really because my mum came home later than expected...

I think I'd prefer it warm if it was on rustic bread, or in a baguette 'cause it wouldn't go so soggy then, but we had regular bread 'cause our bloody oven is broke so couldn't have our little mini baguettes which you have to part bake :mad:

Enough ranting :p: It was great and I definitely will do it again!

What else do you make from scratch? I make as much as possible, especially sauces and marinades but with my mums shopping habits it's usually impossible!!

ReputationRep:
    Aww I left the eggs to cool so the filling would be chilled! Had to really because my mum came home later than expected...

I think I'd prefer it warm if it was on rustic bread, or in a baguette 'cause it wouldn't go so soggy then, but we had regular bread 'cause our bloody oven is broke so couldn't have our little mini baguettes which you have to part bake

Enough ranting It was great and I definitely will do it again!

What else do you make from scratch? I make as much as possible, especially sauces and marinades but with my mums shopping habits it's usually impossible!!
    I'm a broke student. Basic white bread for me, so I eat it fast! lol!

I make all my sauces from scratch (for pasta, noodles, curry etc - though sometimes I buy the jars if there are good offers on and I know I've got a busy few days coming up), my mum used to make her own stuff, but I didn't pay enough attention before she died last year, so I remember the gist of things and just taste and change as I go along! I've made dry marinades from scratch before, but not wet ones, like for the bbq. What kind of marinades do you make?
    My new project is baking. Have perfected my banana bread and my muffins are pretty good. Just need to branch out more and stop sticking to what I'm good at!

I'd love to live by myself and experiment things. At uni, yes I cook for myself, but with only one fridge shelf and half a freezer draw dedicated to me, it's hard to stock up on things and be yourself in the kitchen when other people also need to use the oven. At home, my family are very into food and would screw if I messed up the whole dinner because I was experimenting, so I stick to the same things there.

I love food! I'm so lucky my metabolism is so high, really, I should be obese!

ReputationRep:
    I'm a broke student. Basic white bread for me, so I eat it fast! lol!

I make all my sauces from scratch (for pasta, noodles, curry etc - though sometimes I buy the jars if there are good offers on and I know I've got a busy few days coming up), my mum used to make her own stuff, but I didn't pay enough attention before she died last year, so I remember the gist of things and just taste and change as I go along! I've made dry marinades from scratch before, but not wet ones, like for the bbq. What kind of marinades do you make?
    My new project is baking. Have perfected my banana bread and my muffins are pretty good. Just need to branch out more and stop sticking to what I'm good at!

I'd love to live by myself and experiment things. At uni, yes I cook for myself, but with only one fridge shelf and half a freezer draw dedicated to me, it's hard to stock up on things and be yourself in the kitchen when other people also need to use the oven. At home, my family are very into food and would screw if I messed up the whole dinner because I was experimenting, so I stick to the same things there.

I love food! I'm so lucky my metabolism is so high, really, I should be obese!
    First of all, off topic, but I am truly sorry to hear about your mum I hope you and your family are all doing ok.

I really enjoy experimenting with food but I live with parents who are stuck in their ways of buying ready made food and processed crap so it doesn't happen unless I have money to go out and buy the stuff!

I actually am putting on a lot of weight but I honestly think I would lose some if I didn't eat processed ***** etc so often!

I really wish I cooked more cakes and desserts... I can make lovely upside down puddings (with whatever fruit - usually pineapple or raspberries :yep: ) and chocolate pudding which melt in the middle :coma: Apart from that I've really not perfected anything!

I love making curries from scratch and I make very 'exotic' omelettes - flavoured/spicy the lot! I tend to be good with potato dishes too, but I just make stuff up as I go along! Altering recipes ftw

I'm coming to you for recipes next time I want to bake cakes :yep:

ReputationRep:
    First of all, off topic, but I am truly sorry to hear about your mum I hope you and your family are all doing ok.

I really enjoy experimenting with food but I live with parents who are stuck in their ways of buying ready made food and processed crap so it doesn't happen unless I have money to go out and buy the stuff!

I actually am putting on a lot of weight but I honestly think I would lose some if I didn't eat processed ***** etc so often!

I really wish I cooked more cakes and desserts... I can make lovely upside down puddings (with whatever fruit - usually pineapple or raspberries ) and chocolate pudding which melt in the middle Apart from that I've really not perfected anything!

I love making curries from scratch and I make very 'exotic' omelettes - flavoured/spicy the lot! I tend to be good with potato dishes too, but I just make stuff up as I go along! Altering recipes ftw

I'm coming to you for recipes next time I want to bake cakes
    :hugs: Thanks! 1 year mark coming up, can't believe how quickly time passes and how slowly the pain fades (if at all). :sad:

Noooo! I don't have recipes either! I also make things up! And you can make a chocolate fondant?! Wow! That's really technical isn't it? Contestants always try it on things like Masterchef/Come Dine with Me and it's always a toughie, but impressive when it goes right. Mmmm!

Oooh, omelettes, yep! So good spiced up and with different things in it! Mm mm! Great uni food!

I know, it's hard when you're not in control of the shopping. Are you at Uni yet? You'll definitely get to experiment there! I think the best compromise while at home would be to say you cook the meals on tuesdays and thursdays (or whatever), but parents have to buy what's on your special shopping list. Maybe even ask for a cheeky fiver/voucher/phone credit or something at the end of each week.

Keep cooking hun! :yy: I'll rep ya past midnight tomorrow if you remind me!

ReputationRep:
    Well I figured that 340ml of oil would be a good estimate of how much mayo the recipe would yield :rolleyes: And I decided that was far too much for two eggs so rather than have loads left over I just halved the mixture; used one egg (yolk) for the mayo and had three eggs to hard boil and add to it!

Actually have still got half the mayo left, it was rather a lot! And it was delicious :p: Don't think I'll bother buying mayo again tbh!
    Glad it turned out well! :p: You have tempted me to have some egg mayonnaise sandwiches now Seeing as it's so rainy and horrible outside I may go the whole hog and make some yummy soft white bread to go with it!

ReputationRep:
    :hugs: Thanks! 1 year mark coming up, can't believe how quickly time passes and how slowly the pain fades (if at all). :sad:

Noooo! I don't have recipes either! I also make things up! And you can make a chocolate fondant?! Wow! That's really technical isn't it? Contestants always try it on things like Masterchef/Come Dine with Me and it's always a toughie, but impressive when it goes right. Mmmm!

Oooh, omelettes, yep! So good spiced up and with different things in it! Mm mm! Great uni food!

I know, it's hard when you're not in control of the shopping. Are you at Uni yet? You'll definitely get to experiment there! I think the best compromise while at home would be to say you cook the meals on tuesdays and thursdays (or whatever), but parents have to buy what's on your special shopping list. Maybe even ask for a cheeky fiver/voucher/phone credit or something at the end of each week.

Keep cooking hun! :yy: I'll rep ya past midnight tomorrow if you remind me!
    Unfortunately I didn't move away to uni I commuted! Just finished this year. I didn't like the thought of living with stinky ignorant students (I'm not generalising, I just had a bad summer school experience and from then on I vowed I wouldn't risk getting put with the same type of people!) I kind of wish I'd have got to do some of the things I missed out on but on the other hand, I've landed some voluntary work (in the labs) which I wouldn't be able to do if I lived miles from the uni I went, and it's really helped in getting me a suitable job

I am trying to compromise with my parents a bit :p: I cook for them sometimes and force my homemade sauces on the, , it sort of makes them appreciate what I do and I'm slowly trying to encourage them to cook more from scratch

Oh my god, I love come dine with me! I think it was from there that I got the idea of doing the chocolate fondant (well done for actually getting the name right unlike me :rolleyes: ) and I cooked it for dessert on valentines day. It went down a treat with a bottle of wine It was sooooo simple too! Just have to make sure you get the cooking right and serve asap tbh.

I like your ideas of how to encourage compromise with parents! Will be trying them out :p: Saying that I start my full time job soon :woo: And I'll have a litle bit of money to perhaps run my own litle cupboard of spices and ingredients :yes: Can't wait! Got to get my new car first though

Nice talking to you! Oh and I'll rep you back :yep:I'll have my next one by midnight x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by abc101)
    Glad it turned out well! :p: You have tempted me to have some egg mayonnaise sandwiches now Seeing as it's so rainy and horrible outside I may go the whole hog and make some yummy soft white bread to go with it!
    :eek: You make your own bread!!!! Nice one :yy: I want to be able to do that!! Mmm I loooove freshly cooked bread :coma: You have made me so hungry :p:

ReputationRep:
    I hate mayo,i don't see how people like it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bateman)
    I hate mayo,i don't see how people like it.
    Well I like eggs and mustard, and that's all it is mixed with oil - which has no taste!! Plus a splash of lemon juice mmmmm :coma: So wy wouldn't I like it

My step dad hates it, although he likes all of the ingredients! What is it you don't like about it?

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
Do you want your parents to be with you when you collect your A-level results?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.