Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Ok so they are completely different Universities...

-Campus vs. City
    -ancient vs. modern
    -England vs. Scotland

But what I want is current, past and prospective students to please give me reasons why they would choose to study either Medicine or Biosciences at one instead of the other.

Ive been to visit Edinburgh lots and liked it but Exeter seems really amazing. However due to many reasons I can't go visit it at all before I accept their offer so its a big leap of faith on my part! Thanks!!!!

ReputationRep:
    Exeterrrrrrrrrr. Great campus, nice area of England etc. Not a very good arguement I know and tbh I havent seen Edinburgh but hey hey thought i'd voice my opinion :yep:

ReputationRep:
    Both the same in terms of academic standing (although Edinburgh may have a very slight edge but I do mean slight). Both are excellent unis. Good luick in deciding

ReputationRep:
    Exeter xD Though I might be biased slightly =P Come have a look in the Exeter Forum - theres loads of useful threads on accommodation and student life and everything =]

ReputationRep:
    Exeter's warmer :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sephrenia)
    Exeter xD Though I might be biased slightly =P Come have a look in the Exeter Forum - theres loads of useful threads on accommodation and student life and everything =]
    haha...yeah Ive been reading like ALL the Exeter threads for a few days now! You certainly do give a lot of input into that forum! GAH! i REALLY wanted to go visit it but it is pretty impossible as things stand. I guess the only thing making me nervous is that I know a LOT of people who are at/went to Edinburgh so have a pretty good idea of the edin experience....but being Scottish, none yet of Exeter!

ReputationRep:
    I don´t really know much about either university, but I´d say Edinburgh, because it´s regarded highly by potential employers and is hard to get in to, so if you get a chance, go for it!
    Medcine is a more respectable, harder degree I think than biosciences, so better job prospects? Just a guess.

ReputationRep:
    Exeter is more in the middle/easy to travel to other places.
    Edinburgh seems all isolated.

ReputationRep:
    If it is medicine, I would choose Edinburgh as it is more well known than Exeter. But for all other subjects, I will vote Exeter for its location, beautiful campus and a high sense of student satisfaction. I have been to both universities during long vacation and I would say Edinburgh city is impressive but not the university while Exeter is the other way round.
    I may be biased because I am a potential student of Exeter:p:
    Tbh, both are reputable and decent universities!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jaz_jaz)
    4 1/2 train journey from London Kings Cross.
    One of the busiest International airports in the UK.
    40 Mins by train to Glasgow.

As the the OP, Edinburgh isn't a 'modern' university.
    Large, vibrant city, 4 times larger than Exeter.
    Everything you could want to do in a city, great nightlife, sports, jobs.

Edinburgh has a fantastic reputation in the UK.

I don't even go to Edinburgh, but it it a fantastic place to study and live.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    I would choose Edinburgh. It's an amazing university in an amazing location. Additionally, it has a stronger School of Medicine and is stronger in biosciences.

Exeter is good, and you'll do well from there, but Edinburgh has the edge.

That said, Edinburgh is a year longer... how do you feel about this? One of the main things which put me off from applying to Edinburgh was the extra year and the general course structure in the first two years as opposed to the specialized nature of the courses in English universities.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by creamegg)
    4 1/2 train journey from London Kings Cross.
    One of the busiest International airports in the UK.
    40 Mins by train to Glasgow.

Large, vibrant city, 4 times larger than Exeter.
    Everything you could want to do in a city, great nightlife, sports, jobs.

Edinburgh has a fantastic reputation in the UK.

I don't even go to Edinburgh, but it it a fantastic place to study and live.
    Ahhhh so now Im ALMOST back to square one.....:mad: This is so difficult.

ReputationRep:
    Exeter's in the south west of England (so very, very far from "the middle") whereas Edinburgh is a capital city so of course it isn't isolated, on the east coast mainline and relatively central (as, in terms of the UK as a whole, Newcastle/Carlisle are cities that are the closest you get to the centre of the UK - Haltwhistle in Northumberland).

Neither are "difficult to get to". How long it'll take to travel to them will obviously depend on where in the country you live.

(Original post by creamegg)
    I think (and I may be wrong here) the OP meant that Edinburgh's the ancient university.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by .ACS.)
    I would choose Edinburgh. It's an amazing university in an amazing location. Additionally, it has a stronger School of Medicine and is stronger in biosciences.

Exeter is good, and you'll do well from there, but Edinburgh has the edge.

That said, Edinburgh is a year longer... how do you feel about this? One of the main things which put me off from applying to Edinburgh was the extra year and the general course structure in the first two years as opposed to the specialized nature of the courses in English universities.
    Well Im a Scottish student sooo....the extra year would probably be quite nice as I did advanced highers so it would be like revision (if I did bioscience). If I applied for Med at both and bioscience at both...would that damage my med application cos its DEFIENTELY med that I want to do......getting in is tough though and im doind the gap year thing now, and am not doin it AGAIN without knowing whether ill get a place anyway!!!

ReputationRep:
    What? It's the capital of Scotland; which, although some English people may struggle to believe, is not just a series of hills, sheep and funny looking orange cows (although there's plenty of fake tan to be honest).

I'd much rather study in a city, and Edinburgh's a great one. I was always under the impression Exeter wasn't particularly strong on sciences (they shut their Chemistry department down recently, for example) - not that there are any bad Medicine courses in the UK, but Edinburgh's by far one of the best ones going by everything I've heard. Oh, and if you've lived in Scotland for the last three years you don't have to pay tuition whereas you would at Exeter. That's a biggie for me.

ReputationRep:
    Edinburgh is a very good University and the city is awesome

ReputationRep:
    edinburgh is one of the top unis ..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by River85)
    Exeter's in the south west of England (so very, very far from "the middle") whereas Edinburgh is a capital city so of course it isn't isolated, on the east coast mainline and relatively central (as, in terms of the UK as a whole, Newcastle/Carlisle are cities that are the closest you get to the centre of the UK - Haltwhistle in Northumberland).

Neither are "difficult to get to". How long it'll take to travel to them will obviously depend on where in the country you live.

I think (and I may be wrong here) the OP meant that Edinburgh's the ancient university.
    haha...yeh, Edinburgh=ancient :p: nice save. Well Im from a TINY scottish rural town isolated from the rest of the world so tbh...close proximity to central cities aren't really the most important thing to me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by matheo!)
    edinburgh is one of the top unis ..
    Yeah, but so is Exeter and Edinburgh student statisfaction is very low compared to exeter's...hmmm.

ReputationRep:
    My two-pence: Exeter is a lovely place to be and it does have a fantastic campus which is appealing, however I still think I would choose Edinburgh. I really regret not applying there back when I had the chance. I don't think the difference in reputation is great, although Edinburgh is easily more recognisable internationally. I'm not sure how that affects Med applicants though, because all Med schools are accredited and respected right?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
    Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.