Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Any current/past Exeter/Edinburgh students about? Im specifically wondering about how quiet Eexter is out of term time and the quality of feedback/support you can ghenerally expect at Edinburgh............thanks! You guys have been brilliant so far!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by exeteroredinburgh)
    Yeah, but so is Exeter and Edinburgh student statisfaction is very low compared to exeter's...hmmm.
    Student satisfaction is a load of bull. Many unis send emails asking students to score them highly etc. as they know they are used in league tables. If you must use league tables, I would only really give credence to, tarrif points to get in, % gaining good honours, and graduate prospects. Perhaps research quality.

ReputationRep:
    haha...yeah Ive been reading like ALL the Exeter threads for a few days now! You certainly do give a lot of input into that forum! GAH! i REALLY wanted to go visit it but it is pretty impossible as things stand. I guess the only thing making me nervous is that I know a LOT of people who are at/went to Edinburgh so have a pretty good idea of the edin experience....but being Scottish, none yet of Exeter!
    After visiting Exeter and Edinburgh (I am from Exeter) I would say Exeter as it is a resonably big (everything you need) city but not too big which is nice and has the added bonus of being a good uni near to some sandy beaches and warmer climate.

I liked Edinburgh but i found it slightly disjointed mixed in with other residentail and offices making it seem slightly less like a university as such as it is more spread out but that is the dilema of campus - city

Plus I flew FlyBe from Exeter to Edinburgh only cost me £60 return or there abouts so it isnt too bad to get there

ReputationRep:
    One other thing is an extra 10k debt from tuition fees, and the lack of support from SAAS in general. Its fine if your rich but otherwise might be worth thinking about.

ReputationRep:
    I am an outsider but have been to Edinburgh as well. The city is gorgeous with castles and beautiful architecture. But when it comes to the University, I really don't like the feeling of having academic buildings among public ones. To me, I prefer living near London and Edinburgh is far too north and the weather is relatively colder. Exeter has a milder climate in the south and the city possesses a kind of tranquility.
    Subject wise, Edinburgh should be of a higher edge, I believe.

ReputationRep:
    Exeter :yep: It's lovely and warm in the southwest (with the exception of today :ninja:)

ReputationRep:
    One of the best rules in life is to live where people go on holiday.

Who holidays in Scotland?

Come to Devon. It is much nicer. Academic standing is neither here nor there unless either university has a particularly bad department for the subject you're interested in - these are broadly equivalent universities. Plus you can get a train to Exemouth for a sandy beach in 15 minutes.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rule Britannia)
    One of the best rules in life is to live where people go on holiday.

Who holidays in Scotland?

Come to Devon. It is much nicer. Academic standing is neither here nor there unless either university has a particularly bad department for the subject you're interested in - these are broadly equivalent universities. Plus you can get a train to Exemouth for a sandy beach in 15 minutes.
    Edinburgh busiest city for tourists in the UK after London
    Edinburgh castle is one of the busiest tourist attractions in the UK.

More foreign tourists visit Edinburgh/Scotland than Devon.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, but so is Exeter and Edinburgh student statisfaction is very low compared to exeter's...hmmm.
    A completely pointless and useless barometer, considering I know for a fact at least one university has cheated on it and heard that several others do too.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by creamegg)
    Edinburgh busiest city for tourists in the UK after London
    Edinburgh castle is one of the busiest tourist attractions in the UK.

More foreign tourists visit Edinburgh/Scotland than Devon.
    You're going to encourage someone to live in a place that pisses down is cold and grey for the sake of your national pride?

I'm sorry. I'm from Devon and spent 3 years living in the north at a university and I would not wish having to live in such a **** climate on anyone. Exeter is a fantastic place to study and live.

You can't really say the same for anywhere suffering from Scotland's weather. It does matter (that's why people spend thousands of pounds trying to spend two weeks in somewhere sunny each year).

ReputationRep:
    You're going to encourage someone to live in a place that pisses down is cold and grey for the sake of your national pride?

I'm sorry. I'm from Devon and spent 3 years living in the north at a university and I would not wish having to live in such a **** climate on anyone. Exeter is a fantastic place to study and live.

You can't really say the same for anywhere suffering from Scotland's weather. It does matter (that's why people spend thousands of pounds trying to spend two weeks in somewhere sunny each year).
    Contrary to English belief it isn't always raining in Scotland. Where you go to study shouldn't be about what the weathers like.. god who would go to St Andrews for the weather? You're going to get the best education.

If it's really about what city you're going to enjoy the most as a student, I wouldn't go to either as they're both full of snobs. And before someone goes a-wall, yes they're nice cities I have friends in both places but my god I couldn't live there for 3/4 years.

Last time I was in Devon it was pissing down a storm..where as up north in Glasgow it was all sun beams and beautiful :rolleyes:

Also, the south west of England is extremely expensive, as is Edinburgh but not as much as Exeter. Not only in housing but food and restaurants/pubs are generally more expensive to.

ReputationRep:

You're going to encourage someone to go to a uni just because it's warmer? They can always wear a coat.

ReputationRep:
    Both of these have been my firm at one point in my life (Exeter last year, Edinburgh this year). I can't offer more help than that, apart from the courses at Edinburgh are more flexible.

ReputationRep:
    I live in Exeter, and go to university in Edinburgh. So obviously biased, but I would definitely say Edinburgh, Exeter's just so small, and most of my friends from Exeter uni are just so bored of Exeter as a city by second year, obviously that's just my friends though, wouldn't take that as a general given.
    Little things to consider;
    surfing etc, is a lot more practical in devon. it's doable in scotland, but cold.
    edinburgh housing for second year onwards beats exeter's student housing hands down, on so many levels.
    edinburgh has a lot more to do than exeter, especially on the art/culture fronts.
    exeter has a beautiful campus, but then edinburgh is a beautiful city.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lachlan)
    One other thing is an extra 10k debt from tuition fees, and the lack of support from SAAS in general. Its fine if your rich but otherwise might be worth thinking about.
    Are you sure I wouldnt get any support cos when I asked my friend who applied for Cambridge this she said that "our local authority will pay regardless"!????!? Im really hoping that this is true! Have e-mailed SAAS anyhoo, and they'll get back to me in 10 days so fingers crossed!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AnnyRoquentin)
    I live in Exeter, and go to university in Edinburgh. So obviously biased, but I would definitely say Edinburgh, Exeter's just so small, and most of my friends from Exeter uni are just so bored of Exeter as a city by second year, obviously that's just my friends though, wouldn't take that as a general given.
    Little things to consider;
    surfing etc, is a lot more practical in devon. it's doable in scotland, but cold.
    edinburgh housing for second year onwards beats exeter's student housing hands down, on so many levels.
    edinburgh has a lot more to do than exeter, especially on the art/culture fronts.
    exeter has a beautiful campus, but then edinburgh is a beautiful city.
    Thank-you HEAPS for your input. Did you go into catered halls for 1st year? Do you go back and visit home much?

ReputationRep:
    Are you sure I wouldnt get any support cos when I asked my friend who applied for Cambridge this she said that "our local authority will pay regardless"!????!? Im really hoping that this is true! Have e-mailed SAAS anyhoo, and they'll get back to me in 10 days so fingers crossed!!
    Well put it this way. If I go to LSE, in London mind so an extra thousand a year, I get £2,120 loan for living costs plus £3,225 in tuition fees. On top of this my parents are to contribute £3,590 a year. So if tuition fees don't rise I will be in £16,035 debt by the time I graduate. Its not going to kill me but it is definitely worth considering and is the reason I am intending to try to get my offer cancelled and go to Edinburgh instead.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EmmaDilemma)
    Contrary to English belief it isn't always raining in Scotland. Where you go to study shouldn't be about what the weathers like.. god who would go to St Andrews for the weather? You're going to get the best education.

If it's really about what city you're going to enjoy the most as a student, I wouldn't go to either as they're both full of snobs. And before someone goes a-wall, yes they're nice cities I have friends in both places but my god I couldn't live there for 3/4 years.

Last time I was in Devon it was pissing down a storm..where as up north in Glasgow it was all sun beams and beautiful :rolleyes:

Also, the south west of England is extremely expensive, as is Edinburgh but not as much as Exeter. Not only in housing but food and restaurants/pubs are generally more expensive to.
    What Uni are you going to? I understand your point about the snobs espesh since Im probably gonna be the opposite of their "typical" student but tbh....anywhere nice is gonna have its fair share of snobs so am just not gonna concentrate on them!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lachlan)
    Well put it this way. If I go to LSE, in London mind so an extra thousand a year, I get £2,120 loan for living costs plus £3,225 in tuition fees. On top of this my parents are to contribute £3,590 a year. So if tuition fees don't rise I will be in £16,035 debt by the time I graduate. Its not going to kill me but it is definitely worth considering and is the reason I am intending to try to get my offer cancelled and go to Edinburgh instead.
    Ahhh, so SAAS won't pay your tuition fees but you've got a loan....and are still in trouble! jeeez...oh London :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MaccyG)
    After visiting Exeter and Edinburgh (I am from Exeter) I would say Exeter as it is a resonably big (everything you need) city but not too big which is nice and has the added bonus of being a good uni near to some sandy beaches and warmer climate.

I liked Edinburgh but i found it slightly disjointed mixed in with other residentail and offices making it seem slightly less like a university as such as it is more spread out but that is the dilema of campus - city

Plus I flew FlyBe from Exeter to Edinburgh only cost me £60 return or there abouts so it isnt too bad to get there
    Ahhhhh! It sounds so lovely! Well tbh...if SAAS say ill get a reasonable level of funding then I think im gonna go to Exeter. Thanks!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources
    Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.