Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Are AS levels really really that hard (talking about bio, chem, maths & psychology) watch

ReputationRep:
    How many hours did you study per night (in total or per subject?) i literaly did any h/w that was set until exam time when i revises like craaaaaaaaaaaaaazy like an hour and a half of each subject each day fir the 3 weeks before exams.. that sorta thing... but tbh i probably shud of revised more but i think the most important thing is to attend ALL your lessons.. missing one lesson could mean u miss a whole topic and if that comes up in yr exam you'll be screwed.
    - What revision methods did you use throughout year 12? NOTES NOTES NOTES
    - When did you actually start to learn at home instead of just at school.. urmm.. i still learnt at college, went through it before exams.
    - What times did you revise (e.g. from 4pm to ..?, etc..) |i never did revision in the evenings because i swear my brain switches off at about 7pm
    - How much of a difficulty increase from GCSE to AS level? Alot, but if u did well at GCSE.. if u got an A/A* in the subject at GCSE you will enjoy the challenge on ASs and not find it that hard. The step up from AS to A2 is alot worse!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thetopnotch)
    I got 4As and what I did wasn't the best way of going about things :redface: ( I did Maths, Further Maths, Economics and Business Studies)

- How many hours did you study per night (in total or per subject?) - I did very little from September to about March before cramming everything and working non-stop from April to the exams. This is a bad way to do things and doesn't set you up for Uni at all. It's much better to space yourself out.
    - What revision methods did you use throughout year 12? - I did write some notes for subjects like Economics and Bus studies whereas for Maths my revision technique was to do as many questions as possible from the textbooks before doing as many past papers as possible.
    - When did you actually start to learn at home instead of just at school (e.g. from the very first day, from mid September, from October, etc..?) - Like I said before I was a very late starter and although I did work at school and learn some stuff I started actual work quite late in April for the June exams.
    - What times did you revise (e.g. from 4pm to ..?, etc..) - In between September to March from 6pm to 7pm, but from April to exams I did as many hours as possible, so I'd spend all day revising in the weekend and as many hours as possible each evening too, maybe from 6pm to 11pm
    - How much of a difficulty increase from GCSE to AS level? A lot, a little, what? - It depends on the subject I guess and it also depends a lot on each individual student, some might say it's easy others will say they were difficult and there was a big change. Overall it does get a bit harder, you have to put in more work, there are more exams but how easy or hard you find it will depend on how much work you put in. I definitely found it a bit hard at times because I crammed for both my AS exams and A2 exams. If I'd spread my work out then I probably would have found it much easier :yy:
    +rep
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Is a piece of string really that long?

Some people find them hard, some people easy. Most people on here will tell you easy. Some people will have to work really hard for them, some people will breeze in on exam day with no revision and get full marks (or, at least, they'll claim to have done). It depends on each individual.

AS year is easier than A2 though, so work hard in the first year and you'll have a safety net for next year.

(Original post by roosel4)
    +rep
    Thanks I just don't want anyone to think that cramming is the best way forward. I mean it does work but at Uni you will might struggle if you try to cram everything
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Depends how well you want to do :p:

ReputationRep:
    I'd say Psychology would be the easiest of those. I took it and if you're interested in it, it doesn't feel like hard work.

ReputationRep:
    I did those subjects!

But really it varies a lot between people, one of my friends studied throughout all of our free periods, did all the work assigned plus extra and revised throughout the year, but came out with CDDE i think (History, maths, chem, bio)
    Whereas for me i did the assigned work but that was it until about 2 weeks before exams, i came out with 4Bs but could have done a lot better if i'd bothered to put in the work (i got As in resits)

Plus getting solid results in AS takes off a lot of pressure in A2, which is harder

I do think 4 hours a night is a bit excessive though O.o

Oh and getting your revision and exam techniques right is essential too, my friend probably didnt and thats where she was going wrong (she is intelligent) i found for chem and maths tons of past papers worked best, for psy and bio flashcards, cos its mostly remembering facts

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chioco)
    Wise words, wise words.
    You speak the truth.:yes:
    Why thankyou.

ReputationRep:
    Maths and Psychology aren't difficult at AS, can't comment on the other two.

ReputationRep:
    Luckly i am doing these AS's I got 3 A'S and a C in unit 1 C in c1 maths ... yeah i flopped big time... but i was just a little nervous i think C2 and M1 have gone better i have to wait and see on the 20th of august...

i think those subjects intertwine such as Maths and chem and then Bio with chem and then Bio with Psychology...

i think you will do fine if your willing to revise your nose off and keep an eye on psychology because its a little long with case studies... i memorized them months before exams so that i got it out of the way... in total i think i memorized 60-70 cases for unit1 and 2 :laugh:

ReputationRep:
    I'm doing 3 of your subjects and I can tell you they are not hard (unless you're doing chem with CIE, where almost all of organic chem is concentrated into AS), just make sure to put the work in FROM THE START, which was something I didn't do last year and had to work damn hard before exams as a consequence. Getting used to going to the library is a good idea. For maths, make sure to practice a lot. If there's extra homework, do it. If there's no homework but you don't feel confident about the topic ask for extra homework on it. Also, for revision and studying, don't just read books which tell you the bare minimum which you need to know. I think you will filter out some things during reading, so I found that it is a good idea to use books which have a bit more information than you actually need. The Cambridge Biological Science 1 and 2 book is absolutely golden. It's so good that you can sit down, open it at a random chapter and read it like a novel, something I never experienced with a Biology textbook before.

ReputationRep:
    Psychology-very easy content just so hard to remember flipping 20+ case studies/pieces of research.
    Biology-easy content just vague and frustrating questions.
    Chemistry harddddd content-normally straight forward questions but the papers do get harder as you progress through the a level.

ReputationRep:
    I did 3 of those subjects and am expecting Cs in chemistry and maths and a C or B in psychology.

For me, psychology was really really easy compared to my other subjects so I just highlighted bits of my notes a couple of times a week and read relevant parts of the textbook from time to time. For revision I mainly just read my notes and the textbook again. I'm lucky that I have a good memory - it definitely helps!

My original chemistry and maths teachers set tonnes of homework literally every lesson and said we'd fail if we didn't do an hour per subject per day. :rolleyes: I did what they set, highlighted my notes like for psychology, and a little bit of reading the textbooks, but it certainly didn't add up to an hour per subject per day. Did a few past papers for revision, and for maths bought a revision guide as it was my weakest subject.

If I wanted AAAA I probably would have had to do an hour per subject per day, but if you're naturally more intelligent than me it wouldn't be necessary I don't think!

ReputationRep:
    how many of these threads do we need?

AS levels are significantly more difficult than GCSE's, accept it.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.